Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blue Light Permits??!!!!

Are B.L.P's able to be issued to the J.F.F's parent(s) in order for the J.F.F to get to the FH or scene BEFORE they clear? If not, how are the J.F.F's able to get to the firehouse or scene in a timely mannor?!

Bud...Use the search feature to the left. This has been discussed too too too many times already.

If it is actually anything, it will still be happening once you get there.

Default Re: Blue Light Permits??!!!!

Originally posted by BrianIce
    Are B.L.P's able to be issued to the J.F.F's parent(s) in order for the J.F.F to get to the FH or scene BEFORE they clear? If not, how are the J.F.F's able to get to the firehouse or scene in a timely mannor?!
    I know that they cannot in N.C., you have to be 18 and a member of the department. As for getting to a scene or call, I usually beat everyone to the station.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

this has been discussed before. many juniors want them, most seniors don't want juniors to have them. do a seach, you'll find tons of information.

to sum up my opinion:
    1) juniors are not essentials members of the department, nor are they essential to have on a crew
    2) juniors (and some seniors) lack the maturity and driving experience to use blue lights
    3) there is no need to non-essential members to have blue lights, especially if they lack the maturity not to abuse them and the driving experience to control their vehicle properly.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I'm going to elaborate a little more now, since I didn't really have time this morning when I checked in..

Many states require people driving emergency vehicles to be 21? Why? In most cases they will have more drivingexperience then an eighteen year old that has had their license for two years.

So, you're saying that a person that is not affiliated with the department should be issued a light permit so that they can bring their child to an emergency? I doubt that the state/county/who ever does the licensing would approve that. Not to mention, most places are requiring people that respond with L&S to have EVOC, some form of defensive/offensive driving, traffic control training, etc.

If it's a bogus call, why bother rushing to the scene? Most likely they would make all other units come in cold, wouldn't they? If all the other people are coming in without lights and sirens, why would you need it? If there is a big enough emergency going on, it will still be happening when you get there 1 minute later without your whacker-woo-woo-light and six thousand two hundred fifty watt siren dual speaker setup with four control heads.

If you do get there a whole 1 minute earlier, and they are packing up because it was a simple "do nothing" call, what will that light have done for you? Watching the guys close doors and put equipment away?

1) juniors are not essentials members of the department, nor are they essential to have on a crew
    DrP, I agree with you fully, but with a minor change.

In most cases, I'd even say 95/100, Juniors have no need to be part of the crew. The only time I can imagine them being part of the crew, is if they are certified as a FR, EMT, etc, and the insurances, med controller, department, all allow them to work at their certification level. BUT even then, they don't need the whacker-woo-woo light with the forementioned siren.

If you want to make more calls, see if you can join your departments duty crew if volunteer, or come in for ride alongs with a paid crew if it's career. Heck, just come in and make sure the truck checks are done, and right there you have station time.

No to the blue light permits-----this is from a former explorer.

The only time I can imagine them being part of the crew, is if they are certified as a FR, EMT, etc
    I dissagree 42. I have said this before any department that relys on explorers as part of 2in,2 out or some other life safety operations at a scene should do some serious re thinking.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

enough with blue lights! get a life!

Originally posted by MEckert129
    enough with blue lights!

I agree...Start by getting trained and concentrate on school..You got plenty of years to come to worry about things like lights....Not that you should be anyways
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Exclamation

No to blue, red, amber, green or any other light for a junior member. Why does a junior have to get to the scene fast any way. In most states, they are not allowed inside a burning structure. Drive there with care and if there is a operations going on, you will have plenty of time to assist the older members.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Originally posted by DrParasite
    this has been discussed before. many juniors want them, most seniors don't want juniors to have them. do a seach, you'll find tons of information.

to sum up my opinion:
    2) juniors (and some seniors) lack the maturity and driving experience to use blue lights
    3) there is no need to non-essential members to have blue lights, especially if they lack the maturity not to abuse them and the driving experience to control their vehicle properly.

Ditto.......

Juniors will receive a LOT more respect and thus be granted more (allowed) privileges MUCH earlier if they can show restraint and maturity early.

This is accomplished by showing patience and dedication, not asking whacker questions (but not being afraid to ask good questions), and most of all by avoiding any interest in blue lights, even when allowed.

Act like a professional, get treated like one (this sentence goes for career and volunteer members, as both should be "professional").

This from a guy who learned the hard way, trust me.

Forum Member

I think what the Jrs here are mistaking themselves with are vol.

In most small towns, where the they are vol run. Those ppl get blue lights, and they have restrictions, such as, if they are in another city, they can not use them, if their are others in teh car they can not use them and more like that.

What these ppl on here need to know that unless they are needed to be called from home, they shound;t just show up on a fire scene, because most likely they are scanner nuts and have no life (which is a bad thing)

Most dept's with Exp, may use them, and have a call back on them, in this case, you will be responding to the call in ur POV, if they are calling you in, then their is not normally a life threating thing goung on, they are going use you for rehad, trafic, PR (maybe) first aid, who know what but nothing that is going to be for a lifethreating thing. So their is no need for you to be called in comming code. If it was life threating, its call mutal aid

just my 2 cents

Forum Member

another thing just came into my mind, if they are JR's in a small dept, where they run their own EMS Program (This is for HS students) they still woulnd need them, I have worked in a program like that, what they would do, is just keep the ambulance at the HS, and then go straight to calls from their, still no need to have a BLP

Forum Member

If your ems service relies on jr's to run calls from their hs, I HOPE THAT YOU GET YOUR LICENSES REVOKED BY YOUR STATE AND FINED HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for sitting on your thumbs. There should never be a dept that relies on jr's making a call from their hs, let along running the ems program. If I was one of your pt's I would probaly sue the dept and take every last penny. EDUCATION IS NUMBER 1, oh btw, your program where you ran the ems for them as a jr, how old were you and were you atleast an emt?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Come on now, if your not old enough to drive your self to the call then your need at that scene is most likly limited.

If you're so concerned about having a blue light and you want one soo badly and your not even a FF yet...then maybe you should re-evaluate why you're trying to become a FF.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

I do know of a few towns in CT that have volunteer EMS services and some how the school has it worked out so that they dont miss class time some how. I dont know the details though.

I am a Junior FF(used to be an explorer) and as an explorer you arent even suppose to go directly to the scene you are suppose to met at your firehouse and then procede to the scene as a group if/when the regular dept wants your help. There is no need for the blue light. As a junior your dept. can set the restrictions and they dont even want you to have one for liablity.

I know in CT that a blue light is only a curtiosy light and nothing more. For any driver to have to pull over you must be running a red light and siern! The blue light only states that you are a FF/EMS personal and that you are going to a call. In general though most dept memebers seem to think that it gives you more "power" and they speed to calls.
    -Billy
    KVFD Juniors

>People are always asking me how is it that firefighters run into a burning building when everyone else is running out. Courage is the answer.<

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptainMikey
    If your ems service relies on jr's to run calls from their hs, I HOPE THAT YOU GET YOUR LICENSES REVOKED BY YOUR STATE AND FINED HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for sitting on your thumbs. There should never be a dept that relies on jr's making a call from their hs, let along running the ems program. If I was one of your pt's I would probaly sue the dept and take every last penny. EDUCATION IS NUMBER 1, oh btw, your program where you ran the ems for them as a jr, how old were you and were you atleast an emt?
    More depts then you think do this, especially in small towns, you have to be fully lisenced by the state I got mine when i was 16 and a half. We are fully certified, and have all the training of a EMT-B. So I don't see why it would be such a problem to have this. Only senoir members (those over 18) who have a CDL can drive the bus, and everything we do is legel. And yes edcuation is number one, thats why we only run med calls and MVA's with injuries and then get everything we need wehn we get back. Its just like a vol. dept using HS to fill its staff, as long as they are certified and trained I don't see a problem. Also, technically we are not Jr. we are sworn members of the Department so I still don;t see why is such a big deal. You know us small towns don't have all the money that yall do so...
    Last edited by EMTA20; 12-10-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Originally posted by KVFDBilly
    I am a Junior FF(used to be an explorer) and as an explorer you arent even suppose to go directly to the scene you are suppose to met at your firehouse and then procede to the scene as a group if/when the regular dept wants your help. There is no need for the blue light. As a junior your dept. can set the restrictions and they dont even want you to have one for liablity.
    There is no national exporer regulation that states this that I am aware of. You might have had that as a department policy, but I do not believe it is a national rule.

For what it's worth, our explorers who are EMT's are allowed to go to the scene of EMS calls but are instructed to wait for a senior member or the PD to arrive before making entry to the residence for their safety. MVA's, fire calls, etc require them to go to the firehouse and they can ride any apparatus to the call.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Why do you call yourselves a jr?? If your a sworn member, you aint a jr. Plus what happens when you are out in the middle of nowhere, 30miles from the closest ambulance, something happens to the senior member? What you gona do. That is why the dept that I worked at for summers in central kansas (a a maint apprentace and a station hand) only hires emt's that are 18+ and they get everyone put through the cdl cert program. Plus I highly doubt that the maturuity level is that high enough to handle the pt's. There are alot of you out there that are wonderful emt's that know your s***. But in my experience with teaching cpr, helping with FR and EMT classes as a pt. The maturuity level is not there in alot of people. Its kind of sickining. Plus have fun trying to test for NREMT, they wont let you test if you are under 18 and if you let your class lapse for 1year, gota take it again.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Thread Information