This is 1 reason why we stay in business... Natural selection at it's finest! Do I smell a Darwin Award!
Welder critically burned as accident sparks barn fire
By Caroline Trowbridge
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Tonganoxie — A rural Leavenworth County man, who family members say was welding a gasoline tank to a truck, was critically burned Tuesday morning in an explosion and fire four miles east of Tonganoxie.
Elmer "Bill" Lee, 39, was working on the truck in a barn at 18275 182nd St. when the explosion occurred about 9:50 a.m.
Lee was taken by air ambulance to University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.
Lee's stepdaughter, Jaime Smith, saw him running from the barn after the explosion.
"He was yelling, ‘Help me,'" Smith said. "I told him to drop and roll to put himself out. He was covered in gasoline."
Firefighters and paramedics were pushed back from the barn several times by smaller explosions. The metal barn was melted by the fire.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
11-17-2004, 08:37 AM #1
Man burned while welding gas tank to truck... DUH!
11-17-2004, 11:18 AM #2
11-17-2004, 02:55 PM #3
Had a case like that back in Mass. this past Winter. Two twits had removed a gas tank out of an SUV and were cutting the tank apart to get drugs that they had placed in the tank out of it. (They were shuttling drugs from the South up North). Anyway, go figure that the tank blew up seriously burning both of them and starting a fire in the basement apartment where they had been doing the cutting.
"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers
The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.
"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker
"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry
www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org
11-17-2004, 04:26 PM #4
11-17-2004, 11:58 PM #5
- Join Date
- Feb 2001
Gas Tank Fire
I was on a call where a man was cleaning his Harley gasoline tank with gasoline on top of a stove. Needless to say, "KABUM".
11-18-2004, 10:57 AM #6
This happened a few years back. We had a guy grinding a truck body in a shop after he had drained the gas in an open pan on the floor. Lost the truck, shop, and a big patch of skin on his lower leg."Illegitimis non carborundum."
- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
(Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")
11-18-2004, 12:49 PM #7
Man sues Exxon-Mobile for $352,000,00 for not warning him that the gasoline was flamable and that if ignited, the fire could cause burns. His lawyer stated that this warning should have been written on the gasoline in several different languages as well as pictograms for those who can't read.Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.
11-18-2004, 01:03 PM #8
He was doin' it all wrong!
Actually as a former career welder I have welded on gas tanks with gas in them. The trick is to flood the air space in the tank with an inert gas. I usually hooked a hose to the exhaust pipe of my welder and ran it into the fller cap on the tank. I'm not talking about sheet metal gas tanks on cars, that would be crazy, these tanks were of the industrial size, 100 gallons or more. Please do not try this at home.
11-19-2004, 08:58 PM #9
- Join Date
- Sep 1999
- On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.
Is he maybe related to this guy?--jay.
11-19-2004, 09:18 PM #10
- Join Date
- Aug 2004
Wouldn't snowballs idea of filling the tank with exhaust and then welding it be a bit of a concern? CO has an explosive range of 12.5%-74%. Can you get concentrations that high in a small space out of an engine?
Last edited by lance38; 11-20-2004 at 12:37 AM.
11-21-2004, 12:01 PM #11
- Join Date
- Jun 2002
- Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
YUP!..........................Originally posted by nmfire
Man sues Exxon-Mobile for $352,000,00 for not warning him that the gasoline was flamable and that if ignited, the fire could cause burns. His lawyer stated that this warning should have been written on the gasoline in several different languages as well as pictograms for those who can't read.Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
In memory of
Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006
IACOJ Budget Analyst
I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.
11-21-2004, 02:42 PM #12
lance...Originally posted by snowball
I usually hooked a hose to the exhaust pipe of my welder
11-21-2004, 08:58 PM #13
I believe I would use Argon for that...
Last edited by spearsm; 11-21-2004 at 09:07 PM.YGBSM!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)