Forum Member

Default Hi from the great white north!

Actually its more like the great brown north right now! Hi all my name is Dave Roe I am a Fire Captain in High River,Alberta, Canada. Currently I am 1 of 3 full time members in our department and have 40 awesome volunteers to watch our backs. Hopefully we will be hiring 1 possibly 2 positions this year. I joined in on the forums because they are a great place to network and pick up on new ideas - what works and what doesnt.
    Shamless plug time - we are presently involved with a calendar campaign to raise awareness of the dedication of our volunteers (please see the non emerg section of the forum for details.)

A little about my department - we have 2 town pumps 1990 ford on superior body and 96 volvo with superior body(1050 gpm) 1 75'aerial (quint)2002 E-one and 1 F-450 rescue truck. Our rural equipment consists of 1 3000gallon tank (due to be replaced next year) 1 1985 front mount GMC 850gpm pump 1 caffs unit on an F550 chassis and 1 bush truck. We serve a town of 11,000 + a very large rural district. We are currently constructing a residential style house as a temporary second station and our CAFFS truck will be going there. The caffs truck is rigged out for medical calls, and also has a set of jaws\cutters plus its first response effectivness with foam.

Does anybody have any comments on CAFFS trucks - I was a sceptic when we first got ours but after using it - man what an awesome tool.

Thats all for now - look forward to talking with you!
    Dave

Default Hello to you!

Hi Dave!

Welcome to the forums, hope to see you on here alot! Its been more than helpful to me, there are alot of great advice and some great threads about the different pieces of equipment out there!

Anyways, quick question for you. I live in Calgary (I am buying one of your calendars) and I am looking at getting into the fire service around here. First question, do you do ride alongs or training that I can join in on to see if this job is really for me? Also, what do you require for a person to apply to your Fire Department? I don't have much, but it is always good to ask so that I know in the future!

Have fun, and good luck with the Calendar sales!!

Ash.

Forum Member

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your support first off. Ahh yes getting in to the fire service is the hard part but if you would like to come down and see us we can explain everything we have to offer. We are in the phone book just drop us a line. It would take forever to explain on the computer!! It is a requirment for our volunteers to live in the area though.
    Thanks
    Dave

Forum Member

Hello From Nova Scotia Dave....Enjoy!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Helo back to Nova Scotia - Were you affected by the latest dump of snow?
    Dave

Forum Member

Yeah our area was hit pretty hard..We were without power from 6 am Sunday till 2:30 pm Monday and some still have no power...I know my dept had no power..But we have a propane stove..Which does not require power to run and we did nothing..We have about 4 pallets full of boxs with 9,1 litre bottles in them and our chief wouldn't even give them to people coming looking for water..WATER WHICH WE GOT FOR FREE!!!..But he's such a tight ***..Not to mention he didn't even offer to assist the other dept in town..Another dumb***** move on his part..Dispatch called us asking if we could go pump someones basement out..Well he says our portable pump wouldn't be able to do anything so we sat around and didn't do anything..We had a bunch of guys willing to go and he told us no...We're not very popular around our area for right now.. ..But most depts had generators and were open to the public to come stay at and have hot food and coffee...Our dept didn't run many calls..We had two medicals which were both pretty much lift assists to get through the snow to the road...But other depts were running pretty steady...

Sorry...A lil venting in this post too..lol
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 11-18-2004 at 05:51 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Talking

Glad to see we arent the only ones with backwards thinking head in the sand chiefs. Our chief is awesome - supports us in all our undertakings. Our town manager is very proactive in that we are a service and should treat people very well hence we are back saving cats in trees - good pr. We are surrounded by some chiefs though that you have to shake your head at - just be glad you are low on the totem pole - best thing is you dont have anything to hide - as long as you say you werent aloud to do anything because of the chiefs orders, well he is the one that has to answer the questions!!
    Looks like our weather is changing - might get this stuff called snow! Not near as bad as you guys though!
    Stay warm
    Dave

Thread Information