Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Becoming a Firefighter

Hello everyone. I'm currently undertaking the challenging task of becoming a firefighter. It's been a goal of mine for sometime, but I have been talked out doing it twice. However now I'm putting my foot down and I'm really gonna give it everything I've got. I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys here could
    answer.

I have a Volunteer EMS squad in my town as well as a volunteer Firefighting squad in the town over I could join.
    I was wondering, would it be better to join the EMS squad first and get some experience in that because as I was doing some research, many fire companies are looking for some type of EMS experience. Or should I go straight for the volunteer fire squad and hope that the skills I learn are enough to get me in. What are your
    thoughts?

Also one thing that perplexed me is that the Officer that I talked to at the volunteer company said that if you get picked, the town sends you to fire academy for $300 dollars and you attend a few nights a week. But I noticed that when career firefighters get sent to the fire academy they're there for 4 months. Why is that?
    Do different academies have different levels of training? And are you there every day for 4 months?

And I'm currently using the Navy Seals training book to get into shape. Has anyonehad any success with it?

Thanks alot for you help.

Angry

Please ............ please do a search ............OMG
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Real fast...

Two of the best Candidate self help websites I know of-

www.firecareers.com
    www.eatstress.com

And please do a search.

Thread Information