Thread: RIC Training

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIC Training

Has anyone trainied their engineer personnel on how to cause the hose to vibrate using water from the pump, So that a lost firefighter can be found on a particular hose line when you have multible lines in the building. This was a suggestion of an engineer when we were training on firefighter safety and survival. Any ideas good or bad would be helpful.
    Last edited by rodeohoser; 11-19-2004 at 01:35 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have different colored hoses for each preconnect.
    pump side
    2.5 yellow
    2.0 red
    1.75 orange
    1.75 white/red stripe

rear
    2.5 white
    2.5 blue
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a very good idea for the departments that can afford to change out the hose on there apparatus to colored hose.

How do you make the hose vibrate? Or was that your original question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not real sure. I would guess you would some how very the pressure to the particular hose line using the pump throtal. Something just short of a water hammer.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use different color hoses according to size also.

RED- 1.5
    YELLOW-1.75
    WHITE- 2.0+

Forum Member

um, if he's lost/disoriented, can't he just follow the hoseline out? or for that matter, follow any hoseline out? I'm not seeing a reason to start making his hose vibrate.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I think what he is saying it's for the RIT team to go in and find the stranded firefighter if there are multiple lines going in a structure.

Short of causing a water hammer, I can't picture how this would work.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

What if the lost person is on a floor above the fire doing a search and there are no lines on that floor. But if he does find a line, as was mentioned, just follow it. I don't see how it would matter if it vibrated, was charged, or dry, it will still lead you out. But if that could work for you fine.

Forum Member

Ryan is right this is for the rescue team to follow in. For instance FF trapped was on the red line off of engine 1, or... found firefighter down radio out for rescue team to follow red line, etc. No need to buy new hose, paint the couplings.

Forum Member

Let me see if I have this right. The FF who calls the mayday is going to say he was on the line off of engine 1. Engine 1's operator is going to do something to make his line jump/vibrate/pulse/etc so the the RIT/RIC can follow that line in. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but if that guy is in trouble, I don't think I'd want to be messing with his hose...that may be his only line of defense.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pulsating Fire Nozzle Flow

In the City of Riverside, if we have lost communication with the nozzle team, Engine Tank low on water, hydrant supply failure, impending building collapse or other event the Engineer will open and close the dishcarge gate to pulsate the flow not fast and not slow to warn the interior firefighters of some type of problem. This is a last resort.

MembersZone Subscriber

What happened to the traditional Air horn blasts for impending danger?

Altering the flow of a charged handline while a team is working is not the answer, like Bones said, this could be the first, last and only line of defense inside, the engineer had no idea what the conditions are.

way to many variables here for this to be effective, i personally would not even bring this up as a suggestion.

Who even knows if the knob man is still with the line, or does the RIT follwoing the line, follow it right through the hole in the floor as the original lead guy.......

Forum Member

Yeah, and if you have one of the new E-Ones with the "autopilot" feature it will jiggle the damn line for you anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHFDLT
    What happened to the traditional Air horn blasts for impending danger?

Altering the flow of a charged handline while a team is working is not the answer, like Bones said, this could be the first, last and only line of defense inside, the engineer had no idea what the conditions are.

way to many variables here for this to be effective, i personally would not even bring this up as a suggestion.

Who even knows if the knob man is still with the line, or does the RIT follwoing the line, follow it right through the hole in the floor as the original lead guy.......
    My department has done away with using airhorns on the scene for any type of signal. We now use the hi/lo feature on the electronic sirens. The reason for not using horns is due to with other arriving apparatus blowing their horns, the potential for someone to mistakenly charge the plug or scramble out of the building is there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default a way out.....

search ropes brothers...search ropes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Let me see if I have this right. The FF who calls the mayday is going to say he was on the line off of engine 1. Engine 1's operator is going to do something to make his line jump/vibrate/pulse/etc so the the RIT/RIC can follow that line in. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but if that guy is in trouble, I don't think I'd want to be messing with his hose...that may be his only line of defense.

I was thinking the same. And something else popped into my mind....auto governours. They are supposed to eliminate vibs and hammers......right?
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

How about just contacting the other members via radio who are operating the 1 or 2 lines going in the entrance (there should never be more than 2 or 3 in any given entrance anyway) and by deductive reasoning ie. process of elimination, we find out which line he was with?
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information