Thread: Nims

Forum Member

Question Nims

We are discussing it over in the IL forum............anyone doing anything here ? I undersatnd it may effect future grant status and there is a deadline too ? So lets see what the Buckeyes are doin', in my department we havent done anything nor heard about HOW to do something about the anything ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Disillusioned Subscriber

Ohio NIMS Compliance Procedures

NIMS Compliance Procedure
    In order for emergency response agencies in the State of Ohio to comply with the National Incident Management System (NIMS), the following steps should be taken at this time:
    1. Prior to October 1, 2004 create a document that states your agency or organization adopts NIMS as specified in Homeland Security Presidential Directive 5 (HSPD 5) dated February 28, 2003.
    HSPD 5 requires Federal departments and agencies to make adoption of the NIMS by State and local organizations a condition of Federal preparedness assistance (through grants, contracts, and other
    activities) beginning in fiscal year 2005.

2. Additional short-term compliance for local, State, and Federal entities is possible by adopting the Incident Command System (ICS) as articulated in the NIMS document dated March 1, 2004.
    Other aspects of the NIMS will require additional development and refinement to enable compliance at a future date (e.g., data and communications systems interoperability). The Secretary of Homeland Security has established the NIMS Integration Center to provide “strategic direction for and oversight of the National Incident Management System”. By October 1, 2004 the NIMS Integration Center is expected to begin publishing additional standards, guidelines, and compliance protocols. The National Incident
    Management System Integration Center has been operating since June 3, 2004.

For Incident Command System compliance, the NIMS recognizes the FIRESCOPE/National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) ICS training as a model for course curricula and material applicable to the
    NIMS which includes:
    ICS-100 Introduction to ICS ICS-200 Basic ICS
    ICS-300 Intermediate ICS ICS-400 Advanced ICS

The United States Fire Administration’s National Fire Academy and Emergency Management Institute both follow the FIRESCPOE/NWCG model in their ICS training curricula. There are two minor differences between NIMS ICS and the FIRESCOPE or NFA model ICS:
    Under NIMS, the “intelligence and information function” may be organized in one of the following ways:
    • a Unit within the Planning Section
    • a branch within the Operations Secion
    • a seperate General Staff section
    Under NIMS the Command Staff position previously known as “Information Officer” will be known as “Public Information Officer”.

At the local level, agencies and organizations may contact their local Emergency Management Office or the Ohio Fire Academy for information and training on ICS. The NIMS Integration Center will be
    studying existing ICS models to determine their compliance and needs for refinement.

Additional information may be procured at these web sites:
    www.dhs.gov
    www.fema.gov
    www.usfa.fema.gov
    http://www.homelandsecurity.ohio.gov...ndsecurity.htm
    www.fema.gov/preparedness/nims/

The full NIMS document may be downloaded at:
    http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlib...IMS-90-web.pdf
    The training experts at Homeland Security's Emergency Management Institute created an online course describing the NIMS, which takes about three hours to complete.
    The course can be found at: http://training.fema.gov/EMIWEB/IS/is700.asp
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

and then there is that !!!! thanks Steve
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Our city has adopted the NIMS......... I know that there was an ordinance made for it........

Forum Member

BOHICA! - Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!

Now that we spent years learning an Incident Command System that someone decided would work for us... along comes the feds to standardize one that may or may not be the same. Don't get me wrong, I welcome a standard system. I just wish someone would have put their foot down in the beginning before the 2 or 3 other ICSs got spread around the country.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Disillusioned Subscriber

Now that we spent years learning an Incident Command System that someone decided would work for us... along comes the feds to standardize one that may or may not be the same.
    Actually, it's not that bad if you've had the National Fire Academy Model ICS course (it's been in Ohio for years). According to the State Fire Marshal's Office:
    There are two minor differences between NIMS ICS and the FIRESCOPE or NFA model ICS:
    Under NIMS, the “intelligence and information function” may be organized in one of the following ways:
    • a Unit within the Planning Section
    • a branch within the Operations Section
    • a seperate General Staff section
    The second difference is that under NIMS the Command Staff position previously known as “Information Officer” will be known as “Public Information Officer”.
    Once you sit down and play with it, it should flow like always. Nothing has really changed in the overall picture. They've just thrown another tool or two in the box.
    Last edited by Steamer; 12-01-2004 at 12:29 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default found this ...............

www.nimsonline.com greatful for this site.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information