MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Tis the season...to make the firehouse...

Bittersweet Chocolate Citrus Tart with Jasmine Whipped Creme
    10-12 servings

Crust
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 cup all purpose flour

Filling

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
    5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 5 pieces
    1/2 teaspoon (lightly packed) finely grated orange peel
    1/2 teaspoon (lightly packed) finely grated pink grapefruit peel

1 large egg yolk, room temperature
    1/4 cup boiling water

Jasmine Whipped Cream-recipe follows

For crust:
    Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl. Add flour and stir jsut until blended; let stand 5 minutes. Pres dough into bottom and up sides of 9"-9 1/2" diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Chill 30 minutes.

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350F. Bake crust until deep golden brown, pressing down with back of sppon if bubbles form, about 25 minutes. Cool crust in pan on rack.

For filling:
    Combine chocolate, butter and both peels in medium metal bowl. Place bowl in skillet of barely simmering water set over low heat. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Remove bowl from water. Place fine strainer over bowl with melted chocolate. Keep skillet with water over low heat.

Whisk egg yolk in small bowl to blend. Gradualy whisk in 1/4 cup boiling water. Palce bowl in skillet of hot water, stirring constantly with heatproof spatula. scraping bottom of bowl to prevent egg from cooking, until instant read thermometer registers 160F, about 3 minutes. Immediately pour egg mixture into strainer set over bowl of chocolate. Stir just until egg is incorporated into chocolate and mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate filling into crust: tilt slightly to srepad evenly. Crust will not be completely filled. Cover and chill overnight or up to 2 days. Before serving, let soften slightly at room temperaure. Remove pan sides and palce on platter. Pipe whipped cream around edges.

Jasmine Whipped Cream

makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
    1 tbsp good quality loose leaf jasmine tea or 3 jasmine tea bags

1 tbsp sugar

Combine chilled cream and tea in bowl. Cover and chill overnight or up to 2 days. Strain cream-tea mixture through fine strainer into mixing bowl. Discard solids. Add suagr, beat until peaks form.

Hungry!!!!!

Cheffie

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies..............missin you mom
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

mmm good I think I'll whip me up some right now.Bon apate'

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh Boy, I just finished making Choc. Chip cookies. Here I cruise in here and find a thread on baking. That theres a liitle weird.......

Sr. Information Officer

Wink

Oh Cheffie......how I miss you! New York just hasn't been the same...

Happy Holidays! (I've got your gift....hee, hee)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

(I've got your gift....hee, hee)

Does this mean you are tying a big red bow around your neck and mailing yourself to me?

Cheffie

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking cookies

Triple chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies

chunks of fresh cranberry,dark, white and milk chocolate, not your ordinary oatmeal cookie......

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile hungry yet?

Spiced Sugarplums and Caramelized Apple Tartlets with Calvados Cream

Spiced sugarplums:
    1/2 cup (packed) pitted prunes
    1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    2 tbsp Calvados
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom
    1/8 tsp ground cloves

Apples:
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    1/4 cup sugar
    4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (half of a 17.3 oz package)

Calvados Cream:

8 large egg yolks
    2/3 cup + 4 tsp sugar
    2/3 cup Calvados
    1 cup chilled whipping cream

For sugarplums:

Stir first 4 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Cover and simmer until prunes are very soft, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer over low heat until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Add Calvados and spices. Mash prunes in pan into thick-like jam spread. (can be prepared 1 week ahead. cover and refrigerate).

For apples:

Melt butter in heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sugar and cook until sugar melts and turns a deep amber, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add apples and cook until just tender and browned, shifting and turning apples occasionally, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool in skillet.

Roll pastry out on lightly floured surface to thin 13 x 13 inch square. Using 4" round cookie cutter, cut out 8 rounds. Transfer rounds to parchment lined heavy baking sheet. Using fork, pierce pastry rounds all over leaving a 1/3" border around edge. Chill pastry until firm, about 15 minutes.

Spread 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of sugarplum mixture evenly over center of each round, leaving 1/3" border. Slice each apple quarter into 5 thin wedges. Fan out 10 apple slices atop sugrplum mixture on each round, forming rosette. Reserve any juices in bowl.

For Calvados cream:

Whisk yolks, 2/3 cup sugar and Calvados in medium bowl. set bowl over pan of gently boiling water. Whisk constantly until mixture thickens and camdy thermometer registers 165F., about 5 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold cooled egg mixture into whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate.

Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400F. Drizzle tartlet with reserved juices and sprikle with sugar. Bake until crust is deep golden brown, about 18 minutes. Serve with Calvados cream.

Thread Information