Forum Member

Default The end of Saulsbury with FDNY?

This month's Fire Apparatus Journal says that FDNY has ordered a whole slew of special purpose apparatus (Satellites, Collapse Rescue, etc.) from Ferrara. Are we seeing the end of FDNY buying Saulsbury apparatus?

Perhaps this is the final nail in the coffin after the Federal Signal buyout.

MembersZone Subscriber

Over the years we have a lot of E-One rigs. From what I have heard they have an effect on what Saulsbury builds.
    I know that the rigs we own would never hold up to the runs a big city would put on them. E-One has built rigs cheaper and cheaper by the years, and I can't see FDNY being happy with that lack of quality.

So who knows, I'd love to hear more

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm suprised at this. Didn't the FDNY buy five new E-One\Saulsbury rescues in 2002 for all the five rescue companies?
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member

Maybe it's just a case of low bid? Kind of like why they are getting some TNT tools as opposed to Hurst?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Yes mglax FDNY did buy E-One/Salsbury rescues last time around but this was due their long term relationship with Salsbury, not because of E-One. I've read a couple of places where their not real happy with the new rigs! Not sure where they'll go now for their next rescues. Maybe they can get Seagrave to make a rescue, they sre have the chassis and knowledge of FDNY needs??

As for other apparatus, I'm not sure who makes a more rugged rig than Seagrave. Mack used to be a big player but that was a long time ago. It seems today everyone is more bells and whistles than steel on steel!!
    Last edited by Bulldog; 11-26-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Master Firefighter

How about looking at sutphen. Maybe a little to much in cost.

Forum Member

Question

WHY????

FDNY would not prosper from using a Sutphen. It has no advantage for their operation.

They may be looking at Pierce for Heavy Rescues!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Cool Saulsbury / FDNY

I heard that FDNY spoke to E-One but E-One passed on the buisness. E-One no longer has the ability to build that kind of truck after shutting down Saulsbury. The knowledge and skills of building countless trucks for NY is all gone. (nobody went to Florida maybe 6 people) In just a few weeks the factory will be closed. We will have to see.................

MembersZone Subscriber

well at least they wont have to repaint rescues 85 times anymore
    Some of us are Leaders and some are Followers...get out of the way cause im taking the Knob!

www.westmead2.com

Thread Information