Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: workout

Forum Member

Default workout

We only have free weights at the hall and I cant find any good lift to work my chest. Any help is appreciated.

Forum Member

Free weights are awesome. Depends on what you are doing for your chest, You can press ( take the same weights in each hand lie on your back and push like you would on a regular bench press). Also you can do flies ( like the bench press except you bring the weight above your chest with bent arms 45 degrees and the weights meet in the middle.

The only thing is you probably arent used to the weight and it feels awkward. This is just your body and muscles learning how to control the weight. Free weights not only are good for strength development but are also excellent for developing stability - this isolates the muscles more and gives you a better work out.

Work out machines focus on isolated muscles where as free weights work surrounding muscles groups to build up that stability.

Hope this helps
    Dave

Forum Member

I have tried the press and the flies. At the end of the workout my chest muscles still arent tight so I dont think that those positions are helping. Thanks for the response.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chest Workout

How much weight are you using? How many reps per set are you doing? How many sets per exercise are you doing? At what speed are you moving the weights? How many times per week are you working your chest?

There are many variables, such as reps, sets, tempo, weight, exercises, order of exercises, amount of sessions per week, etc. that can be changed. These are acute variables which mean that whenever you change one of them, you'll create a different stimulus and promote a different response from your body. Basically, you'll feel a difference. My last question is what are your goals: bigger chest, more strength in pushing, do you want to increase your bench?
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Default workout from Calgary FD

Heavyduty,

The Calgary Fire Dept. has a really good workout training Aid that you can print, which gives you tons of great workouts with free weights for training and preparing for the CPAT. I have it printed off and am starting on the new workout today, its tough!

It has everything, even how to set up at home to "practice" for the different CPAT stations, which so far is working for me.

www.calgaryfire.ca, you will have to search for it under recruitment, the hiring process, physical testing, and it is located on the right had side of the page in an orangie kinda box, towards to the bottom. hope it helps...all I know is that I hurt! ALOT!

Ash

Forum Member

Thanks ffgirl. Are you planning on applying for the position.

Default trying.....

Heavyduty,

I most certainly am going to try! I have been training for about 5 months (besides the couple weeks around my wedding) this year, and was doing great! The only thing stopping me so far is the money to get my CPR course and my EMR course. But when I do apply, I just hope I get a call, as that would be my first step to my goal.

Have you applied yet for either Calgary or Edmonton? (from what I have heard, it sounds like Calgary could be hiring about 300 guys over the next couple years)Just curious as to what your workout schedule is like? Have you found it difficult to stay on top of it?

Not much else to add, so I will talk with you soon.

Ash

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

be happy that you have free weights vs machines. free weights are overall going to give you a better workout and you can do more things with them. like others have said before on here, you can do many different workouts with the same equiptment. since you want to work on you chest, do bench. there are many variations of the bench that you can use to iso different muscles. you want total pec work out, do regular bench. work upper/lower pec, try an incline and decline position on the bench. also, dont always use the same grip poosition for every lift. having you hands narrow and wide with work differnt muscles in the shoulders, back and chest.
    all of these workouts can be done with dumbbells or with a barbell. the way ive always been taught in the past, barbells are great to help move large amounts of weight, but you need to change it up occasionally. using dumbells will help condition the stabilizar muscles, thus giving you and more of a workout.
    personally i love working out with free weights vs machines because you get a greater range of motion and you get the true weight of the workout. there is no cables or springs to help you out. also, remeber to have a spoter with you when you are doing these different workouts.

Post I agree

I will have to agree with ftfdverbenec770 above. All I have are freeweights and they are making a huge difference for me! I find that my arms are much stronger as I am having to hold all of the weight and therefore my balance has improved due to needing that strength to hold the weight. I also have an excercise ball for my core stabiliazation and for all of my ab workouts...its wonderful! I prefer freeweghts any day over machines..that and I don't know how to use all the machines. hehe.

But seriously you can't go wrong with the freeweights, your workouts will be much better! if you do them properly of course.

Ash

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help. To answer your question ffgurl, no I have not applied yet I am going to get NFPA 1001 level1 and 2 before I apply. The VD that I am on is going to pay for it. I workout usualy 4 times an week and run 5 times. To keep from getting bored I run one day then run stairs the next. I focus mainly on upper body one day then the next day work the lower body harder. I always run/stairs before I do the other part of the workout. I find the best way to work up enough ambitian to go to the gym, after a 12 hour day, is to think about how bad I want to be a firefighter. The burning desire has drug my *** into the gym now for 2 months without missing a planned workout. Good luck! By the way too bad you are married.

Wink HAHAAH

Sounds like a good workout plan. I am ejoying the new one from the Calgary FD site as it isn't as boring as my old plan. My big issue is the weights, I hate doing weights.

I unfortunately can't join a Volunteer Fire Department as I am not within 5km of a volunteer dept. So my only chance is to try and go full out with the City and hope I make it on. Maybe one of the ones i have been too will let me hang out on the weekends and do something..anything! (are you listening Dave 404??) hehehe. I was really hoping to send in my application this spring, but I think maybe next fall (2005), which sucks, but it just means the more guys I could possibly beat out come hiring time. mwhahahaha

By the way too bad you are married.
    All I have to say is....HAHAHA...ah the wonderful ways of the world.

Post workout - evil

I have been doing the workout from the Calgary FD website for a week now, and it is positively evil! My running partner gave up on me as it was too tough to try and keep up. So now I run by myself But the interval training is great! Very hard though, it took me a whole day to recover from it, everytime I moved I was out of breath. But this is the end of the workout week for me, I get to rest for 2 days (besides light walking). At this rate I should be able to go to sign up by spring..hehe. So watch out Heavyduty!

Anyways, hope all the workouts are going great, and I will post later.

Ash

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

Freeweights are always better, for the most part, over machines. From what I've learned you want to workout in this order if you have the equpiment:

1. Freeweights
    2. Bars
    3. Machines

I'm sure everyone has a different style of working out, no one way is perfect or correct. But, I find that freeweights really allow you to use the muscles and motions you normally would during a call.

That's basically what I tune my workout for, motions that I do during a call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Remember this...

Firefighters are the greatest athletes in the world! You are expected to perform in life and death situations, not just to win a game or score a goal! In this case, bodybuilding shouldn't be the only way to train your body. If you want to get a little bigger, then YES train for hypertrophy (muscle size). However, putting on mounds of muscle isn't very conduscive to keeping your turnout gear as comfortable as possible. Anyway, hypertrophy training should be a phase in your program to prepare your body for strength and power training. Therefore, instead of thinking about chest exercises, consider a "pushing" movement in all directions. Any pushing movement, except those overhead, are going to emphasize your chest. That allows you more freedom and variety because you can include all types of pushups, dips, DB/BB presses, explosive pushups, and medicine ball throws. The benefit of emphasizing movements is that you prepare your body for the job-not just your chest to look great in the mirror. If you have any questions, please send me an email at richmeyer@fastbodies.com. I'll be happy to answer them. Good luck!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Thread Information