Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default 5th one down ......from the Toledo Blah .this should generate some discussion

Rossford considers 12 employee layoffs to balance budget
    City projects a $650,000 shortfall

Facing a $650,000 deficit in its 2005 budget, Rossford is considering laying off 12 employees.
    The city employs about 35 people, plus 33 others in the volunteer fire department.
    Councilman Kenneth Hermes, chairman of council's finance committee, told his fellow councilmen at their meeting last night that the proposed layoffs would be:
    Three of the city's four police sergeants.
    The police clerk.
    A part-time police custodian.
    Three of the 10 public works employees.
    The assistant fire chief.
    The fire records clerk.
    The administration's secretary.
    A part-time administration clerk.
    The recreation department's office manager would not be replaced.
    Other positions would have reduced hours. Daytime EMS staffing would be reduced to five days a week from seven, and the zoning inspector would work only 15 hours a week.
    Council agreed last night to discuss the proposed layoffs at a committee of the whole meeting at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 6. The location of the meeting has yet to be determined because council wants a larger venue than council chambers.
    Council needs to approve a balanced budget by the end of the year, although it could pass a temporary budget, city Administrator Ed Ciecka said.
    The city expects its fiscal 2005 general fund revenue to be $4,069,369, which is only a 1.6 percent increase over its fiscal 2001 total. Most of that comes from income taxes, which haven't risen enough to keep up with expenses.
    The city is facing a 4 percent wage increase for its employees and a 16 percent increase in employee health benefits.
    The income taxes generated by the new Target, Home Depot, and Giant Eagle stores are equivalent to wages and health-care increases, Mr. Hermes said.
    State funding supplies about 16 percent of the city's budget, or $645,000. Mr. Hermes said the city is not projecting reductions in that amount at this time, but the state legislature could reduce the funds during the fiscal year. "The economic situation hasn't improved," he said.
    City officials are looking for suggestions from the public on how to solve the deficit problem. "If anybody has any magic bullet, we'd be happy to hear from them early," Mr. Hermes said.
    Glenn Goss, assistant director of the Rossford Police Patrolman's Association, said the sergeants would not be laid off, but that their positions would be eliminated and they would be bumped down to patrol officers. The officers who most likely would be laid off are a detective, the D.A.R.E. program officer, and the school resource and community relations officer.
    The department has 12 patrol officers and only schedules three per shift, including the sergeants. Mr. Goss said he was not sure how much money the city would save by eliminating three sergeant positions, because patrol officers who are in charge of a shift are paid sergeant's wages, and the department probably would need to schedule overtime to fulfill its minimum staffing requirement of two officers per shift.
    The city also is looking at other cost-cutting or revenue-raising measures, including reducing the amount of road salt it uses, reducing the amount of overtime in the public works department for snow removal, and raising recreation day-camp fees.
    It already has put off some road repair work and vehicle replacements, raised marina fees, and delayed building a new fire station.
    Council is considering improvements to the city marina in Veterans Memorial Park, which would be funded primarily by a state grant. However, the city would need to pay 25 percent, or $115,000, and recently learned the contractor's estimate is $38,000 more than the $400,000 it had expected.
    Council will consider approving the marina improvements, which include replacing water lines and putting in a concrete deck, at a future meeting. It will lose the state's $346,000 if it decides to put the improvements off until a later date.
    Mayor Bill Verbosky, Jr., said the improvements are needed, but others said they think the city has more important ways to spend its money.
    "I'm not so sure the marina is as vital to the community as police and public works," Mr. Goss told the council.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Not good, not good at all. Is your job in jeopardy?

Revised 'cause I'm a bonehead

I should've been more specific ... are BOTH your jobs in jeopardy?
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 11-24-2004 at 09:52 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Josh my brother...what can I say. What a crappy situation!

If there is anything I can do to help or anyone I can lobby just say the word.

KTF Bro
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Who is gonna do all the work in the big city?

The chief can do it all by himself............

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

The assistant fire chief.
    What a bunch o' crap. Have they figured out what to do with you yet?

What ever came of the discussion about you going back to hourly? WTF!?!?!!?!?!?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

"I'm not so sure the marina is as vital to the community as police and public works," Mr. Goss told the council.
    But evidently, we can do without the fire department. #&$^!@*&$ politicians!!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Question

Was hoping to find out more on this today but due to calls and new pager inventory, was unable ...........will keep you all advised.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

So let me see if I have this straight: Because you were too busy doing your job, you couldn't find out if you get to keep it?

Politicians = MUTTS

KTF Brother

Speaking of The Blah...did anyone else catch the article today that basically says the people of Washington Twp. are a bunch of racists because they wanted to keep their school district and not have it become part of TPS when the city was busy grabbing all our land back in the 60's?

What a shame all those trees gave their lives to print that rag
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

Originally posted by WTFD10

Speaking of The Blah...did anyone else catch the article today that basically says the people of Washington Twp. are a bunch of racists because they wanted to keep their school district and not have it become part of TPS when the city was busy grabbing all our land back in the 60's?

What a shame all those trees gave their lives to print that rag
    I was thinking the same thing Moe!!! Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with that article. It also made it sound like that TPS was safer than Washington Local because of 1 person being arrested with a gun at Whitmer vs. none in Toledo.....

Hey PFD...........how was the fire early this am ? (Monday) .........heard something about flowing a duece and half ?
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Hey PFD...........how was the fire early this am ? (Monday) .........heard something about flowing a duece and half ?

Well of course I wasn't working....

From what I understand it "was" a ranch house that was going pretty good on Engine Ones arrival. They were making pretty good headway before the white coats arrived and as usual things went kapooe (not sure if that's how you spell it but I think you've got the idea)..... I drove by it yesterday and they saved the the walls.

Originally posted by PFD109NFD107

Well of course I wasn't working....

From what I understand it "was" a ranch house that was going pretty good on Engine Ones arrival. They were making pretty good headway before the white coats arrived and as usual things went kapooe (not sure if that's how you spell it but I think you've got the idea)..... I drove by it yesterday and they saved the the walls.
    Better watch what you say......... Someone may be stalking you on here and telling others what you say........

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Better watch what you say......... Someone may be stalking you on here and telling others what you say........
    I shouldn't have to worry..... My guys have trouble reading...

Default It's not like someone from another state that isnt registered is reading any of this

I think Mini-me is getting a complex ?
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Originally posted by Weruj1
    I think Mini-me is getting a complex ?

That's what happens when you have to sit in front of the BIG guy and get a talking to!!

Maybe mini-me needs some puttie!

Thread Information