Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default St. Paul hire info.

I'll post what I find and hear.

New Firefighters Sought in St. Paul, Minnesota

ROBERT INGRASSIA
    Associated Press

For the first time in five years, the St. Paul Fire Department is opening up its entry-level firefighting ranks to new applicants.

City officials, who plan to announce details of the hiring process today, said they would launch an aggressive drive to attract top-notch female and minority candidates. Of the department's 390 firefighting personnel and paramedics, 18 are female and 71 are racial minorities.

"We are really trying to hit it hard with recruiting," said Angela Nalezny, the city's personnel director.

Officials expect thousands of hopefuls to apply. In 1999, the last time the department hung out a "Help Wanted" sign, more than 1,700 people stepped forward.

"We don't know how many we'll get this time," Nalezny said. "We could have 4,000 applications. We could get 1,700 like last time."

Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a high school degree or general equivalency diploma. They also must earn an emergency medical technician certificate by the time they're hired.

Anyone who meets those criteria qualifies to take a written exam. The test covers reading comprehension, basic math and situational judgment, as well as a personality profile. Those who score 75 percent or higher qualify to take a physical exam.

The physical test could become a source of controversy. During the 1999 hiring process, after several female applicants complained that the instructions were confusing, the city conducted a second physical exam.

Later, the state Department of Human Rights concluded there was "probable cause" that the department's physical exam discriminated against women. The matter was referred to the attorney general's office, but no resolution was ever reached, Nalezny said.

No major changes to the exam are being planned, Nalezny said. The goal this year, she said, is to recruit a sizable number of physically fit female applicants who are likely to score well. The city will recruit from college athletic departments, military programs and fitness centers, she said.

"You need to get women who are very strong," Nalezny said. "There are women who can do this job, but it's not a large percentage of the population."

The firefighter union has representatives on two committees that are helping set guidelines for the written and physical exams. Local 21 president Dick Leitner said the union supports the city's recruitment drive and backs a physical exam similar to the one used in 1999.

"We want the standards to be upheld so we can have quality people who can do the job," he said.

The city is expected to maintain the pool of applicants that emerges from the two exams for three years, hiring an estimated 20 firefighters from the list each year, Nalezny said.

Details on how to apply via mail, fax and Internet will be released today.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Default More info.

The application period will run from Jan 14th to Feb 14th. Applications are available by calling 651-266-6500 or visiting the the cit's web site: City Of St Paul.
    Dates as so far posted:
    Written exam: March 15th
    Physical agility: May 9th - June 3rd
    Prep sessions will be offered for both tests.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

I think donít think it is right to accept a job just because a department or company wants to prove that they are ethnically diverse, but I wonder if, when I move there, if I would be considered a minority because I immigrated from another country (Canada)?

I guess I am going to have to get around to seeing if any of my certificates will cross over, though if I have to start at Zero again I donít mind. One of my worries is moving down there and not being able to find a department to join. Firefighting has become so much a part of my life that it would be shock to my system and I would probably go through horrendous withdrawals
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thread Information