Truckie

Default St. Paul, MN plans a hiring.

St. Paul is palnning a 2005 test. I will post what I find and hear in the Minnesota forum.

New Firefighters Sought in St. Paul, Minnesota

ROBERT INGRASSIA
    Associated Press

For the first time in five years, the St. Paul Fire Department is opening up its entry-level firefighting ranks to new applicants.

City officials, who plan to announce details of the hiring process today, said they would launch an aggressive drive to attract top-notch female and minority candidates. Of the department's 390 firefighting personnel and paramedics, 18 are female and 71 are racial minorities.

"We are really trying to hit it hard with recruiting," said Angela Nalezny, the city's personnel director.

Officials expect thousands of hopefuls to apply. In 1999, the last time the department hung out a "Help Wanted" sign, more than 1,700 people stepped forward.

"We don't know how many we'll get this time," Nalezny said. "We could have 4,000 applications. We could get 1,700 like last time."

Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a high school degree or general equivalency diploma. They also must earn an emergency medical technician certificate by the time they're hired.

Anyone who meets those criteria qualifies to take a written exam. The test covers reading comprehension, basic math and situational judgment, as well as a personality profile. Those who score 75 percent or higher qualify to take a physical exam.

The physical test could become a source of controversy. During the 1999 hiring process, after several female applicants complained that the instructions were confusing, the city conducted a second physical exam.

Later, the state Department of Human Rights concluded there was "probable cause" that the department's physical exam discriminated against women. The matter was referred to the attorney general's office, but no resolution was ever reached, Nalezny said.

No major changes to the exam are being planned, Nalezny said. The goal this year, she said, is to recruit a sizable number of physically fit female applicants who are likely to score well. The city will recruit from college athletic departments, military programs and fitness centers, she said.

"You need to get women who are very strong," Nalezny said. "There are women who can do this job, but it's not a large percentage of the population."

The firefighter union has representatives on two committees that are helping set guidelines for the written and physical exams. Local 21 president Dick Leitner said the union supports the city's recruitment drive and backs a physical exam similar to the one used in 1999.

"We want the standards to be upheld so we can have quality people who can do the job," he said.

The city is expected to maintain the pool of applicants that emerges from the two exams for three years, hiring an estimated 20 firefighters from the list each year, Nalezny said.

Details on how to apply via mail, fax and Internet will be released today.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Truckie

Default More info.

The application period will run from Jan 14th to Feb 14th. Applications are available by calling 651-266-6500 or visiting the the cit's web site: City Of St Paul.
    Dates as so far posted:
    Written exam: March 15th
    Physical agility: May 9th - June 3rd
    Prep sessions will be offered for both tests.

Peresonal note; St Paul fire is a great job. Yes we have our budget problems, and yes, at times the rank and file don't see eye to eye with the Chief. But it's still a great job with very good people.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ambulance staffing

my wife and i have been looking at the twin cities for a couple of years, but before we even consider moving i'd need a job pretty equivalent to the one i have now. i know st. paul fire dept. has ambulances, but how do they determine who staffs them. i have a paramedic license, but since we don't have ambulances here, i'm assured a spot on a fire rig in a comparable metro area. basically before i apply i'd like to know if there is a way to stay off an ambulance and on a fire truck. any info would be helpful. thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

St. Paul runs the engine company/ambulance company. In short most stations have both an ambulance and engine, you are assigned to both, if it is a fire you take the engine, if it's a medical you take the rig.

Rabble rouser

Wasn't that Minneapolis?
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes it was Minneapolis that laid some off. If I remember right St. Paul didn't lay any off but just delayed or cancelled hiring any new recruits. Minneapolis did some number crunching and eventually hired back most if not all of the people laid off, not sure but then again the memory just isn't like it used to be! Minneapolis has comeout this year and said that they need to cut next years budget again, which means there may be layoffs again, certainly no new hires.

Truckie

Cappy is correct, Minneapolis laid off a bunch, but after some well publicized outcry, they where all rehired. But things are looking grim for 2006.
    They just hired a new Chief, and right out of the chute, she has proven to be nothing but a lacky for the mayor. Already she has made comments on how poor the budget will be in and has commented on the need to lay off firefighters and cops. Unless you are a gang banger or criminal, the city leadership is terrible.
    chingon, to answer your question, we do run dual staffing. After completion of the academy, you will be asigned a shift and placed in the pool. In the pool you go to any company that has an opening if you meet the quals (squads are haz-mat and engine 1 is tech rescue). Being a medic, it will be more often than not, you will be on an engine/medic. Depending on which engine, you have the oppertunity to see a few fires, especially on the east side or midway/frogtown areas. As a medic, once you meet the east metro protocal training requirements, you will start getting a paramedic premium. This isn't a paltry amount either, though they do get their *** handed to them fairly frequntly.
    After 2 years you can bid to a company, medic or not. But you olse the premium going to a truck or stand alone engine.
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

For those who are looking ST. Paul and the Twin Cities is a great place to live and work ( I am bias I grew up there). If I was younger I would apply, not to mention I do not want to go backwards to being a firefighter. I sure hope Mpls. pulls there heads out of the sand. Hey who did they give the Chiefs job too in Mpls????
    GFIRE

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info. i'll mull it over and talk to the wife about her job prospects. in the mean time, do they have a ride out program. my concern, once again, is that i already have a good job with an urban department, we fight a lot of fire, and we don't have to put up with much b.s. in the stations. the brass just want us to handle runs and beyond that "every station is an island". if st. paul does have a ride-along program, who do i contact?

Forum Member

The new chief in Mpls. is Bonnie Blacochick(probly misspelled) and from what I heard that the union was happy with her for the job but now with what has been said lately, who know's. Also found out some info on the hiring in St. Paul, went to one of the forums they had and it was STRONGLY emphasized that they are looking for minorities. The chief himself basically came out and said that and that was the general impression given by all the chief officers there. They figure about 4,000 applications to be filed and they are running short on some of the companies from what I have heard.

Oj

Truckie

chingon, no "formal" ride out programs per se, but you can contact the admin office and they will put you in the right direction. We get a lot of medic students from the various programs due to the decent run volume, so it's not uncommon. And unless you are a know it all vollie from a 1 bucket company, you will be made more than welcome.
    the link will take you to the official St Paul Fire site that has all the contact numbers and the updated hiring info.

St. Paul Fire
    George Mason

SPFDRum, I am am waiting to submit my app w/ SPFD. Becoming a firefighter is what I want to do. If you wouldnt mind answering a few questions for me: What are some tips or suggestions that I could use to prepare my self for the written test? What are you tested on? I am currently with a local pay per call department. Does this give me a step ahead on the testing? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful and greatly apreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

The written exam for St Paul will be given by the test consultant CWH. Don McNea Fire School may be condcuting a prep class for this exam. Go to the link below and enter your e-mail address to be informed of class dates and location.
    Good luck!!!

Since 1950, Don McNea fire school has prepared over 40,000 fire applicants with our entry level seminars and products. Go to our website at www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter.

Don McNea Fire School
    Dmfireschool@aol.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Truckie

dkalis,
    Don McNea may have the right info on the exam an prep. I don't know him or what info he has, so I can't or won't endorse him, but the testing outfit is CWH again, like '99. But a lot of the info will be provided by St Paul at the various orientations. I don't want to stick my neck out so far as to say it's going to be the same test, but all indications are that it is. It's as much of a personal profile/inventory test as anything.
    As far as being POC, not really, as St Paul will send you through their own 12 week academy. But you do have aleg up on what the job entails and more importantly, you are acustom to the gear. My suggestion would be to keep your cardio up. Running stairs helped me emensly. I started running the Wabasha street stairs early and progressed to running the full height with a 25# weight vest, 8-10 times. Then once a week I would jog a couple of miles for some endurance. The physical agility is time ranked, so you will want to get the best time you can. A good score here can make up for an OK written test. Again, keep an eye on the St Paul Fire web site for orientation classes. Any of that info will help on the written. Good luck on getting hired! PS that's a nice new station you have there in No. St Paul.
    George Mason

Thanks for the info. I have my eye on the city web site a few times a week. And yes, the new station is very nice.

Thread Information