Default FDNY vision requirements

im just curious about the vision requirements for the fdny vision test. i am not 21 yet but im am list number 1417 and havent heard anything about my medical yet. im just curious if your aloud to where contacts on the vision test because i heard that you cant and you need at least 20/50 vision to pass it. My friends are telling me that im going to need to get lasik surgery but i feel im kinda young to do it and im just wondering if i would be able to pass by wearing my contacts. Worst comes to worst i will get the lasik but im curious if anyone has the same problem im facing and wondering if anyone knows any answers to my problems. thank and good luck to everyone. hope to see u all on the job some day. there is no job like it in the world.

They told me to wear my glasses instead of my contacts on the day of testing. Well my glasses were old and a lower level strength. Well thank god I had a injuried firefighter on light duty doing the test. Everyone I got wrong he would say guess again until I got it right, it was classic. We talked more about his injury and the job more than the eye test. The hearing test was also funny, again a firefighter on light duty, he put me in the sound proof box and went back to reading the post, he almost forgot I was in there. But I was told to get lasix eye surgery in the furture, alot of guys do it so its out of the way. The medical exam is funny after the first test I knew it would not be a problem. Dont sweat it. But I would get the surgery, if it came down to the final decision. Good luck

Forum Member

When I took my medical in July, i wore my contacts that day. But as i was about to take the eye exam there was a sing that said " Anyone caught using contacts will be taken off the list automatically" after reading that i was scared as ****, so i took them off. During the eye exam, the person giving the eye exam told me " im not going to fail anyone, for trying to get this job", so i figured i was golden. After the exam, you have to wait in line to meet the doctor who evaluates your exam results. He told me that I failed the eye exam and need a 20/40 to pass (i had 20/50) so basically he was saying if i didnt have 20/40 I was going to be taken off the list, and with a list # of 776, i wasn't going to screw that up. So the only way to get the vision of 20/40 was lasik. The following week i was in the surgery room getting my eyes corrected.
    If your looking to get the lasik, its well worth it, the very next day i had 20/20 vision. I was able to get it at a decent price totaling $1900. If your interested, look on the internet for Dr. rosenblum, his prices are good and the service was excellent.
    I reccommend that you get it done so that you dont have problems in the furture. Imagine running into a burning building with plastic contacts on, not a good sight, literally.

Forum Member

I asked that very same question about 3 months ago. I called up the FDNY medical office, something like that, the Doc said the vision requirements are 20/40. It sounds like it depends on what kind of guy you have administering the test. If you dont want to use lasiks try looking into those corrective contact lenses that you put in over night and they flatten your vision lens out to 20/20. Lets be honest its a bs requirement you just need to pass the test.

Forum Member

this is old stuff
    Last edited by squarewheels; 08-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Forum Member

Is there a color vision requirement?

Thread Information