Default Anyone from Indiana??

I am currently in the Marines stationed in south carolina...I was doing volunteer down there with a friend, but quit because of some problems and clashing I had with a few other volunteers. They were getting mad if I didnt show up at 4:00am for a medic call when I had to be at work at 5am, and then a bunch of other people volunteered and I would never make it there on time ot get on the truck but would have to stay to wash it.which I didnt bother till thelast 10 times Iwent up here i never went to the actual call. I leave S.C in a year and plan on moving up here to Indiana with my wife, and try to get on as a police officer or a firefighter. I want to do volunteer in indiana, preferably south of Indianapolis, and I am looking for anyone who volunteers here... are ya able to run povs to call or to station? Lights? call rates? fire to medic ratio ect.... what kind of trainging do ya do?? any info would be great

thanks

Forum Member

My father in law was on the Everton VFD in Fayette County (about halfway between Indy and Cincy) for 15 years or so.

When he was on, he always responded directly to the station, but that's mainly because my inlaws only live about 1/8 of a mile or less from the station, and he could drive the rigs. Other members did respond directly to calls in POVs.

Everton is a true VFD with no call pay, so can't speak to call rates.

When he was on, he was one of the highest trained for EMS as a First Responder. Now, I believe they have one EMT and an number of FRs. Ambulance service is run through the local hospital, so the VFD is only a first responder agency.

Indiana only allows blue lights with no sirens in POVs.

On the training side, I know he went through a bunch of weekend courses through the state early on, but I don't know the details. Think it was a special fire academy program for volunteers.

Check out the Indiana Volunteer Firefighters Association website...might have some more of the info you're looking for.

Hope this helps.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Koon,
    I Live in Johnson County and am on two of the Vol. Depts. here in County, as well as one Dept. In Marion County. Ask away I'll try to help ya out.

P.S.
    What is in Indiana that make ya want to come here?
    lol

MembersZone Subscriber

All new FF's are required by State to go through a "24 hour" Class.
    Which basically is Dept. Orentation, to that specific Dept.
    also training on that Departments SCBA, as well as Ladders and some other stuff. Basically just enough knowledge to get ya hurt on a scene. IN required N.F.P.A. FF 1&2 Certs in order to actually do Fire Suppression (from what I know, could be wrong); and in order to do EMS one would have to have an IN Cert for first responder (not very common around here), EMT-B or higher. The EMT Class has Higher Standards than the National Cert. according to what I've been told.

Lights:
    Only Blue lights are allowed, as was said earlier no Sirens;
    All Persons using a Blue Lights while on a run are required to
    Obey all traffic laws and speed limits, if a FF recieves a citation.
    IN Law requires that persons Fire Chief to Terminate that person from the Fire Dept.

If you want I will look up the I.C. code on blue lights, for you it explains everything alot better.
    basically I very rarely use my lights, only if Im on-scene or traffic is going slower than the posted speed limit. (which is obviously very rarely.)

As far as responding to the scene that is up to individual Depts.
    Responding to station is different of course, "I aint walkin"

Hopefully this helps answer ur questions, if ya have an more just post em an either me or someone else will try an answer them for ya.

MembersZone Subscriber

About the NFPA FF 1&2 certs to be active in suppresion, could be department mandated. The first Volie department I was on was a combination department. After I got my 24hr cert i could make fire runs on the apparatus and do anything that was asked of me on scene. With this department there was a lot of resentment towards the volie guys, so we were mainly just hose rollers for the paid guys. Indiana's requirments are hire than the national level when it comes to EMS. So at the very least you would have to re-take a written test if you have an EMS cert you want to transfer

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default volunteer departments

Any of you guys have any information on volunteer/combination departments in Marion county...what ones are out there? I'm going to the membership meeting for Castleton Volunteer fire department next month. A few questions I have are...how do they choose new members and how many will they accept? Also, what does their training consist of?

MembersZone Subscriber

Brent,
    I am on Castleton and have been for four years, The "joining" process is really very simple. When you come to the Jan. Meeting
    its basically a meet an greet, Who you are, what kind of experience you have if any that kind of stuff. Your 2nd meeting which will be in Feb. your Application "read" to the members and at that time
    you leave the Meeting room and we do our Member vote to bring you on or not. in reference to how many New Members we will bring on at a time. In the 4 years I have been a member of the dept. we turned down 1 application and that was due to bad Driving Record. If you have no Criminal History (Felonies) and a decent Driving Record you'll probably get voted onto the Dept. in Feb.

Have you already turned in your Application??
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

Forum Member

Joe,
    Yes, I submitted my app. a couple of weeks ago. Last week I got an e-mail telling me about the upcoming membership meeting. I wondered about the training. Is it in the evenings, on weekends, or both? What training do they put the new members through? Do you know when the training will start? I imagine all of this will be covered at the meeting. I'm just excited about the opportunity and have a lot of questions as you can see. Are you also a career ff?

MembersZone Subscriber

We normally do our Fire Training, on Saturdays after the Membership Meeting. EMS Training is done at least once a Month, sometimes more.
    After you are brought onto the Dept. you go through the State Mandated 24hr Class, before you can go on runs, and respond to runs from home. I know that we are putting on a FF1&2 Class in Feb. or March, so they will more than likely wait until the Class to do the 24hr. stuff. Another benefit of being on a combined Dept. is that the Vol. Members are welcome at any of the Career Guy's Trainings as well. I have gone to several of the Special Trainings back when I was a single guy and had time to kill. Being married and having a 1 yr old cuts back on availability alot. Once you go through your 24 hrs. you will be required to do at least 10hrs a month and attend 6 of the 12 meetings. and some other things as well but We can get into all of that at the meeting. Oh, and no I am not a Career FF.

A couple of pointers for you once ur on the Dept.
    1. Ride out as much as possible.
    When your a new Vol. the Career guys will not know you and the best way for them to get to know you is to be at the stations. We have four stations in our district, dont pick just one all the time go to all of them regularly especially for about the first year an half.
    Then you can pick an choose stations when possible.
    2. Make it your #1 Priority to learn the Trucks.
    Making an effort on your own accord is, not only good for when your on-scene and the guys need something. But when the guys (Career FF's)
    see you making an effort to learn as much as you can about the trucks and the tools, they will have a greater respect for you.
    I personally make an effort as soon as I have recieved my assignment and check out my SCBA pak, to go to each truck and look over it as a way of refreshing my memory to the whereabouts of the equipment.
    3. When your on station ALWAYS be willing and ready to do your part with the station chores.
    Alot of our Volleys tend to think that because we're volleys we dont have to do chores like policing the kitchen, taking out the trash or washing the trucks.
    Those Houses belong to us as much as the Career Guys, if and when you are on station, do your part to keep the house and trucks clean.
    After Supper is over is when most chores are started, so if your at the stations and partake in supper, ask the station Officers what they want you do for chores.
    4. Ask all the Fire/EMS questions you need to. BUT DO NOT act like alot of new guys (they can be paid or volley) and run around the firehouse or fire ground and act like you know everything.
    That is the biggest and quickest way for the "guys" to dislike you and have no respect for you at all. Ive seen it happen and any FF that has been a FF for awhile will tell you the same.

Just some pointers to help you out once you get on in Feb.

Im looking forward to meeting you at the meeting in Jan.
    and getting to know you.

Ohh, they may tease ya about being Gungho. But as long as its a gungho towards learning, you'll be alright. Heck Ive been on 4 yrs and Im still gungho.

And for the record there is never a Stupid Question, well almost never. So ask all you want and Ill try and help ya out.
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

Forum Member

Thanks a lot for the helpful tips. I'll remember your advice and I plan on learning all I can about all the different aspects of the job. Greatly appreciate all the info!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Firemanjoe123, Hey is it to late to try to apply To CVFD. I work with a guy that is on your alls department and havent heard anything from him that your were taking members. I live in Noblesville, is that ok. Also Im an EMT-B with 2yrs Vollie experience, just moved to Indy this past summer. Let me know were to go or who to call if you dont mind...

MembersZone Subscriber

zcam, outta curiousity who is it that you work with.
    I'll toss a boot at him for ya,
    If you hurry you might be able to get into this process.
    you can either got to www.Castletonvfd.org and in the side bar look for Volunteer. In there is a link to the application that you can download. and then turn it in at HQ's when you've completed it.
    Or, you can go to HQ's (Station 331) and pick up an application in the Admin. Offices. If all else fails they may let you start the FF 1&2 class anyway and then pending the outcome of your application
    deal with the $$$$. Worst case scenario, you will have to pay upfront for the FF 1&2, and upon being brought onto the Dept. they would re-emburss (probably not spelled right) you for the class.
    I could be wrong, but I would say that if you fill out the app and get it turned in either at the Jan. Meeting or before the meeting.
    they would go ahead and allow you to start the class and if for some reason you was not voted onto the dept. you would have to pay for the class. Do you know where HQ's is at? if not either ask ur buddy or let me know and I can give ya directions.
    Our Dept. SOG's allow a member to live in any adjansient County so yes you would still be allowed to join the Dept. from that stand-point. Before I got Married I was living in Westfield and was on the dept. for 2 years while living in Hamilton Co.
    If ya have anymore questions feel free to ask.
    Our Monthly Meetings is on the 2nd Saturday of each month at 0800hrs @ HQ's.
    Last edited by Firemanjoe213; 12-17-2004 at 04:55 PM.
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey that guy I work with is named Bill L and we work at St.V's 86th street. I think he is your EMS trainer. I got my app turne in on the 12/22. So hope fully I will get to meet you in January.

MembersZone Subscriber

LT. L didnt tell you? huh. well glad to hear you got your app done as quick as ya did. My suggestion is that you go ahead and attend the meeting in JAN. regardless of wether they call you or not.
    It wont hurt anything for you to just show up.
    Meeting will be Jan. 8 @0800hrs at HQ's on 86th st.
    If you dont know where its at, its just east of the Costco's on 86th.
    I'd go ahead and plan on attending. Oh, you have my permission to pop the LT upside his head for not tellin ya. Tell him good job from
    Joe S. (I wouldnt advise hittin him for real though, Id hate for ya to get in trouble at the Hosp. for that)
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

MembersZone Subscriber

The Lt. swears he told me, but I beg to differ. He said he would say something to somebody to keep an eye out for my app. Im hope that already being an EMT-B and having 24hr and basic FF will help. Im planning on going to the meeting as well. Also your 86th st. station is where I turned in my app., awesome station, very nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

haha, he just trying to keep from looking bad, ,
    I'll be seeing ya at the meeting then, if ya have anymore questions you can ask Bill or myself, we'll be glad to help ya.
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

Thread Information