Forum Member

Default Re: Re: offended

Originally posted by Fire2123

The web team has warned before that no fighting between career and volunteer FFs would be tolerated. For some reason they don't care about this one, so the fighting continues.....

After reading his attack on volunteers, I view Parasite as one of those career FFs that kind of feels threatened by vollies. They don't like us. They feel like we take something away from them. In other words, FFs like him are the real showoffs that want all the glory and to be called heroes. They absolutely hate it when they see a 19 or 20 year old driving around with a Firefighting sticker on his Honda. It's because they know the public sees it to, and they're afraid the public will form the opinion that just about anybody can be a FF. They won't admit this fact.

Parasite's attack on volunteers is uncalled for and does not belong here. I am not one who is easily offended, but how blatant is this attack?

That statement says a couple of things. First, that ALL wackers are volunteers. Second, that ALL dedicated FFs are career. And that is the biggest difference he says between a wacker and a dedicated non-wacker.

I don't come to this board to read hateful nonsense like this. I too, have a dislike for the true wackers out there. They make everybody look bad. But this was an attack on volunteers, plain and simple. It would have been perfectly fine if Parasite wanted to joke around about it. Maybe turn it into a Jeff Foxworthy-type joke. Like maybe "If you have put more radios and scanners in your car than you have gallons of gas, you might be a wacker." But instead, he decided to make it serious, and attack volunteers. [/B]
    Actually, I don't believe DrParasite is a Career FF....... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong......... I think some people take it all to heart too much. And, technically, his staement didn't mean all dedicated FFs are career....... What about the POC people.......

After seeing how people reacted to this, getting all upset and ******ed off, it's no wonder there are so many heart problems with FFs....

MembersZone Subscriber

NOT that I'm defending DrParasite's conduct stirring the pot with what appears inflammatory suggestions..

However suggesting he said all volunteers are whackers is technically invalid, following the rigid rules of language and logic.
    Now, that could be what we heared..at first..

Combining the defensive stance the post put many of us into, with its polarizing medley (leading the reader to believe your either one ot the other), its easy to overreact when boom, you are struck by its course, acidic finale.

The statement 'a whacker doesn't get paid' is tecnicaly invalid on its own, because there exists some PaidOC whackers too..

While it could suggest to the reader 'all voluntees ar whackers', I don't think it technically does form the arguement validly, nor confirms thats what he thinks.

Its still poor form, but..

I best stop. wish you all best.
    "I am permaprobie, and I approve this message."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: From another point of view...

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187
    Let me start off by saying that I'm both career (firefighter) and volunteer (district fire chief). It sounds like a lot of people took Parasite's post in the wrong text.

I didn't see the post at all as put down on the volunteers - it was a self-analysis of the fire service. From what I read, he was trying to say that a career FF and a volunteer FF can do the exact same thing (and for the most part, they do), but because one recieves a paycheck, and one doesn't, their actions are seen in a completely different light.

Seen in a different light by whom, you ask? Usually career firefighters, unfortunately.

I would say that most of us know that NOT all volunteers are wackers, squirrels, woo-woo's, or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods. There are thousands of professional, well-trained, well-equipped volunteer departments out there, with a smattering of guys/gals that are over-the-edge: going to the Fire Expo in Harrisburg, PA wearing your fire pager, even though your from upstate NY, and expect the thing to do off...things like that.

And I do have a union sticker on my truck, along with a union plate. Does this make me a "paid wacker"? Maybe so, but I know that I try to lead my VFD by example, and remain professional at all times, and keep the newbies in line, and try to keep them from at least appearing to be the textbook "wacker".

Ok, soapbox off, back to lurking.
    I think you got it

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Give the Dr an A++ in pot stirring

And he sucked everyone in on his lights on povs thread too.

He indicated in his thread that people from both sides of the fence do practically the same thing, and how it is viewed is a matter of perspective.

I don't think enough people read through the end of his first post.

Forum Member

First off, I want to say that BoxAlarm187 got my point perfectly. If anyone is ****ed at what I originally posted, read what his post said. Thank you District Chief, I couldn't have explained it better.

Second, I am not a career firefighter. I am a volunteer firefighter. I recieve no monetary compensation for my work with the FD. I also think the opposite of professional is amatuer. That means to call a volunteer department not professional is to call them amatuer. So I say that volunteer departments can be (and many are) professional, just not paid 24/7. and I think any firefighter that says you need to recieve a paycheck to be professional is wrong.

Third, NOT ALL VOLUNTEERS ARE WACKERS. Read what I posted. read it in the context it was posted in. and I'm sorry for the initial confusion, but if you are still steaming from your ears, well, you need to have an off duty beer and move on with your life.

Fire2123, you especially need to chill out. There is no paid vs volunteer arguements going on here. there is no paid is better than volunteer (well, not that I said anyway). and I can tell you, all the career firefighters I know aren't threatened by volunteers. but if you think that they are, then that's something that you need to deal with. not all volunteers are wackers, in fact only a small majority are. I never said that all volunteers are wackers, only that in the fire service, when someone is labeled as a wacker, 99.9999999% of the time that person is a volunteer. and if a career firefighter did the same thing, it would be seen in a different light. hence the line that has many people so fuming

IN CONCLUSION, this is not an attack on volunteers. those that actually read the entire first post would know that (after I edited it, to add the explanation). it is about how perceptions of the same action can differ if you are compensated or not for your services. and if you are still ****ed off, then feel free to complain to the webteam about it, and then can take whatever action they deam appropriate.

and I am happy to see more people posting about how they understand what the original posting was about.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

dazed and confused

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Exclamation

and the perpetual machine keeps on goin !!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

I also have a Montana Fire Chiefs Assosication license plate. By paying a little more to register your car you get his license plate, the money goes to the Chief ***.
    Something in that statement doesn't smell quite right...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: offended

Originally posted by Fire2123

They absolutely hate it when they see a 19 or 20 year old driving around with a Firefighting sticker on his Honda. It's because they know the public sees it to, and they're afraid the public will form the opinion that just about anybody can be a FF. They won't admit this fact.

First off, I don't agree with most of Parasite's views. In regards to "just about anybody can be a FF". You're right, just about anybody can be one. However it doesn't mean they are worth a crap as a firefighter. There are many firefighters out there that don't know the first thing about fighting fire. I think it mainly comes down to training and knowledge. Some people don't like volunteers and they stereotype them as unknowledgeable. Around where I work, I find it to be true in some cases, but not always. On the flip side of it, I know some full time firefighters that aren’t very knowledgeable either. The fire service is quite interesting if you think about it. You have your firefighting experts, from places such as FDNY, that have spend 25+ years becoming what they are, and then you have teenage whackers that are more concerned about their sirens and lights and read Galls more than any fire service training manual. Some people view it as a career in which they want to become as knowledgeable as possible, and others view it as something cool or fun to do. It is easy to understand why the whackers of the fire service are a disgrace to the job. Also, just because a volunteer isn’t real knowledgeable in firefighting doesn’t mean he’s a disgrace. Some do not have the desire or the time for that matter to become “experts.” And they serve an important function in their community. But with that said, not all firefighters are equal.

Forum Member

So am I a wacker because I have FD stickers and plates, t-shirts, my own ben2 helmet (that I have used on calls), having my own BLS kit to take care of a patient until the bus arrives (this does happen), hang out at the station a lot, going to the Fire Expo in Harrisburg, PA, and wanting to possibly have a blue light to use (in PA)? If so, thats okay, because I only do/have all this because I enjoy the fire service, and I want to help people and learn as much as I can to help those people better!

I am a proud and dedicated volly FF!
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: offended

Originally posted by erics99

Also, just because a volunteer isn’t real knowledgeable in firefighting doesn’t mean he’s a disgrace. Some do not have the desire or the time for that matter to become “experts.”
    I'll give a guy a break for not having the time in this chaotic modern world, but if he does not have the desire, then he needs to get the heck out of the way and free up the funds that pay for his gear.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

When a whacker has a wackage induced fit, does he whack off??

Before anyone became a firefighter we all had some whacker in us. Think about it. If you say no stop lying to your self.

We are all a little insane, a little bit of an adrenalin junky, brave, heroic, scared, and a dash of whacker in all of us.
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: offended

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    I'll give a guy a break for not having the time in this chaotic modern world, but if he does not have the desire, then he needs to get the heck out of the way and free up the funds that pay for his gear.
    Well I was trying to cut them some slack . Actually though, many of the volunteers in my area don't do much more than FF1, and a monthly training session. It takes a lot more than that to become a knowledgeable firefighter. What really sucks are the full time guys that seem to care less about the job and hardly even want to be there. And they lack training and knowledge but yet they fail to realize it. I wish I could say we didn’t have any of those in my department.

Forum Member

Twas' the night of the big fire
    when all through the station
    not a man was stirrin'
    not even the whacker
    the trucks were parked in the bay with care
    in hopes that some shut eye would soon be there

The whacker was nestled deep in his bed
    while visions of new Quints and red lights danced in his head
    and the District Chief in his kerchief and the Lieutenant in his cap
    had just settled down for a slow days nap

When out of the alarm box there rose such a clatter
    the men sprang from the bed to fix what was the matter
    Away to the pole they flew like a flash
    But when the whacker hit the pole he busted his @$$

With a concussion to the head, and a sharp pain to the torso
    He now realized how hard the floor was below
    When what to his wandering eyes should appear
    None other than a shirt that said "I fight what you fear"

When all of a sudden the little engine driver, so professional and so quick
    jumped in the Engine, and off went the Quint
    More rapid than a jet engine the mutual aid came
    and the safety officer checked them all off by name

"Now JONES, Now O'MALLEY, Now JOHNSON, Now STACKER
    Now RICHARDS, Now ROBERTSON, Now LAWSON, Now WHACKER"
    “Into the front door, extinguish that wall”
    "Hey wait, where’s the whacker, he must have had a fall"

Such as dry leaves in the summer doth burn
    So does the captains fury when he asks "Will this kid ever learn??"
    So up to the front door they went
    as they awaited the ladder team to cut their vent

When in a twinkling, they heard on the roof
    the sound of a whacker wacking, somewhere aloof
    As the ladder team crawled down along with the whacker
    Once again he slipped and fell off the ladder
    everyone stood wondering if he could get any slacker

He was dressed in dirty bunker gear with from his head to his foot
    he looked like he'd been rolling around in ashes and soot
    As he lay there once again on his back
    from the look in his eye, we could all tell he was just beginning to whack

His N6A so damaged by heat
    would have made him look seasoned, had he been on more than a week
    We noticed his hood was bunched up right good
    the we realized he had the mask on over the hood

Once this was corrected he quickly grabbed the hose
    and demanded we make entry "before the structure goes"
    he was pulled of the line by a bigger man
    and that’s when the $h1t hit the fan

As the nozzle team headed for the door
    he fell in behind them hoping for some more
    Not wearing his helmet strap, it was knocked off his head
    and when I saw that, I feared us all for dead

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his job
    getting lost in the structure and possibly burnt like a kabob
    After the fire was over from the smoke he rose
    with his finger stuck up his nose

He ran back to the truck to tell the guys he extinguished the blaze
    when in all actuality, he didn’t do anything
    But I heard him exclaim as I was taking off my gear
    "I have a Big Johnson, and I fight what you fear"

Copyright 2004 KEEPBACK200FEET
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 12-02-2004 at 01:36 AM.

Forum Member

Talking swwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

uh oh ..................where is stayback500 ? or EastKYff?............they got some competition !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by erics99

Well I was trying to cut them some slack . Actually though, many of the volunteers in my area don't do much more than FF1, and a monthly training session. It takes a lot more than that to become a knowledgeable firefighter. What really sucks are the full time guys that seem to care less about the job and hardly even want to be there. And they lack training and knowledge but yet they fail to realize it. I wish I could say we didn’t have any of those in my department.
    I guess I am just lucky, our fully minimum career staffed combo department is very professional across the board. Career guys are dedicated, although they have their bad days like anyone else in any other job, and the volunteers almost all pick up FF I/II within two years unless they just want to handle the EMS side primarily. Would probably pick it up in a shorter period of time if it was offered more often. Even most of the primarily EMS volunteers seem to try to get FF I/II and if they don't, continue to train and get as high of EMT certs as they can. I'll take a dedicated volunteer that does not have as much time to give as he would like, over a guy that hangs at the station doing nothing all day, anytime.
    Semper Fi,
    Dennis
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

I never claimed anyone said all volunteers are wackers. Someone did make the statement that all wackers were volunteers however, and that was Parasite.

And maybe I used a poor choice of words when I said they felt threatened. My point is I think some career FFs dislike volunteers because when the public sees an 18 or 19 year old with FF stickers on his car, it makes it appear that just anybody can be a FF. Which is mostly true, but they think it ruins their reputations.

I just totally disagreed with Parasite's original post. It is insensitive to the good volunteers around the country and most of it was incorrect. According to Parasite, 99.9% of FFs have at least a couple of wacker traits.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

DrParasite....

OH MY GOD!! I laughed my *** off when I read your first post on this topic. You are so dead on with this that I can't believe how you nailed it.

FOLKS, THIS IS ALL ABOUT PERCEPTION...HOW WE VIEW EACH OTHER.

I am a career firefighter and a volunteer chief. Imagine the turmoil with in me! Three days out of 9 the vollies are job stealing scabs that are out to destroy the career fire service. Six days out of 9 the career guys are nothing but mercanaries who do it for money and not for the love of the fire service and it's deep traditions.

Add to that the fact I am a blue shirt at work and hate the white shirts and a white shirt at the volly FD and think all the blue shirts are dumber than dirt. WOW!!! I don't need to **** you guys off I can do it all to myself depending on the day of the week

People loosen up your undershorts and realize this whole thing was tongue in cheek and get the heck over it. Honestly it was a welcome relief to the assinine your helmets sucks and your yellow truck sucks and your nozzle sucks and your pov lights suck arguments that go on for ever here.

Laughing at the original post and shaking my head at people that don't get it.

FyredUp

Fire Chaplain

Originally posted by FyredUp

I was beginning to think I was the only one who read it that way...

We don't need mutts, politicians, or anyone else to bring division into the fire service -- we do a fine job of it all by ourselves.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Where does one go to become an expert on recognizing the attributes of "wacker"?
    Do you go undercover for a couple of years?
    Is there a secret handshake?
    Are there membership dues if there is a club?
    Are you a quacker wacker if you fit the profile, but aren't willing to admit it?
    Can you describe if you are "borderline" wacker?
    Will there be a physiological change in you when the day finally comes that you stop by the T-shirt table at the convention and purchase something that is "wackeresque"?
    How do you keep it in your past?
    What happens if you left it off your resume/application? Can you be fired?
    Is counselling available or do you have to have a full blown exorcism?
    Who is the premiere expert on this phenomenon?
    Does wacking exist in other segments of our society?
    Would ham radio operators be an example of this?
    Cheerleaders who wear their cheerleading outfit to the mall?
    Cops with more than one back up piece?
    Teach me; please.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

IACOJ BOD

DO-WACKA-DO
    I hear tell you're doin' well
    Good things have come to you
    I wish I had your happiness
    And you had a do-wacka-do-wacka-do-wacka-do-wacka-do-wacka-do

They tell me you're runnin' free
    Your days are never blue
    I wish I had your good luck charm

Yeah, I see you goin' down the street in your big Cadillac
    You got girls in the front, and got girls in the back
    Yeah, and way in the back, you got money in a sack
    Both hands on the wheel, and your shoulders right back

I wish I had your happiness

Yeah, you're goin' down the street in your big Cadillac
    You got girls in the front, and got girls in the back
    Yeah, and way in the back, you got money in a sack
    Both hands on the wheel, and your shoulders right back

I wish I had your good luck charm

Written by Roger Miller

A Man that understands apparently.

Heres a link to people that could not be called Whackers, yet they have a Wacka golf tournament. Wacka
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief ... starting point (lesson one)

ChiefReason Where does one go to become an expert on recognizing the attributes of "wacker"?
    Reference site http://www.rescuehouse.com/content/f...kes/000145.php

Google search: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ighter+whacker

Whacker (noun)

Whacker (noun): Any EMT, Firefighter, Rescue Worker who enjoys his job simply for the pleasure of:
    A. Hearing their own voice on the radio
    B. Using lights and sirens on the ambulance/fire truck
    C. Using lights and sirens on their personal vehicle
    D. A life time subscription to Galls because of the sheer amount of stuff ordered from them
    E. Having more stuff on their work belt then Batman
    F. Only showing up (whether they were dispatched or not) for the 'good calls'(car rollovers, structure fires, High angle rescues)
    G. once in while having patient contact
    H. Wearing anything that has their fire company on it so they can get 50% off in stores or food
    I. Wearing their Class A uniforms to parades and to public events
    J. Driving around with a bumper sticker that says... "My wife said ‘if I go to the fire house one more time I'm going to leave you'...boy I'm going to miss her..."
    K. Taking their lunch break and going to the fire house
    J. Calling their favorite Rig or engine "my baby"
    L. Sneaking out of their house at 2:30 in the morning so they can go wax their "BABY"
    M. Having pictures at work of their "BABY" and keeping the pictures of their real children at home
    N. Having at least one room full of Fire and EMS stuff
    O. When on vacation visiting the local Fire and EMS departments
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

You know Parasite, I haven't been a member of FH.Com for long but ever since I can recall I've found some entertainment out of your posts and replies. Hell I'll even go as far as saying that I actually agreed with you on certain ocassions.

I think this garbage that you found time to write put an end to it in my mind.

Here's my opinion: This whole "whacker" thing is getting a little pathetic. Career guys vs the Vollies. It's all BS. Yeah you gotta shake your head sometimes when you see the guy with every decal alive on his truck, a light bar that rivals no other, and a t-shirt for every day of the month. But most of the time you don't know the guy personally, and he could be a damn good firefighter. Like I said in an earlier post touching this subject, some people need to have their ego's stroked and scream "look at me". Most of us don't.

This post is definitely based on your opinion. We all have em', and we all have people in our lives and our departments who open that whole in their head just so they can listen to themselves talk. I'm thinkin' you're one of them. And I really should'nt pass judgement like this since I don't know you personally but hey isn't that what you just did?

Forum Member

Originally posted by 725GUS
    You know Parasite, I haven't been a member of FH.Com for long but ever since I can recall I've found some entertainment out of your posts and replies. Hell I'll even go as far as saying that I actually agreed with you on certain ocassions.

I think this garbage that you found time to write put an end to it in my mind.

Here's my opinion: This whole "whacker" thing is getting a little pathetic. Career guys vs the Vollies. It's all BS. Yeah you gotta shake your head sometimes when you see the guy with every decal alive on his truck, a light bar that rivals no other, and a t-shirt for every day of the month. But most of the time you don't know the guy personally, and he could be a damn good firefighter. Like I said in an earlier post touching this subject, some people need to have their ego's stroked and scream "look at me". Most of us don't.

This post is definitely based on your opinion. We all have em', and we all have people in our lives and our departments who open that whole in their head just so they can listen to themselves talk. I'm thinkin' you're one of them. And I really should'nt pass judgement like this since I don't know you personally but hey isn't that what you just did?
    Originally posted by FyredUp
    DrParasite....

OH MY GOD!! I laughed my *** off when I read your first post on this topic. You are so dead on with this that I can't believe how you nailed it.

FyredUp
    Read it again, he is pointing out that we are all the same, just our point of view sckews how we look at ourselves and each other.

Wacker to me as a firefighter is like JarHead was to me as a Marine. It is fine for us to call ourselves that, but no one else better!
    -Big Russ

Thread Information