Thread: EMT Waiver

Forum Member

To reply on your post about spelling and grammar errors, the reason they are like that is because I donít proof read my posts or spell check them before I post them. In addition, who cares, itís a non-formal posting board where what we type isnít being scored on grammar and spelling mistakes.

Jorie what MABAS box are you in if you are in one? I have a friend who lives up their and is in Box 3

When I go to college, I will be in a place where I wonít need to leave class for a call, because I wonít be working for the dept in that town, nor will I be any where close to the town where I currently live in. Therefore, I see no basis for that question

And about the disruption of class, the kids here know what is going on when any of us leave, the teachers know to, if our pager vibrates in class, then we just leave, go to the call, and come back when we are finished, the only disruption we have is kids who leave their cell phones on during class and they go off, (they have nothing to do with the EMS program, and are not evolved) so I still donít see what the big deal is with us leaving if we keep our grades up and such.

Oh, and why you ask this post is spelled right and grammatically correct s because I did it in word and copied it.

Go get 'em tiger.

...And in response to the spelling grammar thing, the answer to that would be simple, 90% of the 16-22(ish) year olds have grown up with computers, the internet, chat rooms, forums, and instant messaging, all of this is in a private format and most everybody shortens their typing by cutting back on correct grammar and punctuation, its more of a matter that we are typing how we think at the moment. Not "we're typing a formal letter".
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Neither of the 2 posts I am involved in give us the ability to leave school. If they did, would I leave? NOPE. As stated by many others here, responding from school might be cool, but it will more than likely be detrimental in the long run. I have to agree 100% with DrParasite on this one, as he said it best: put your education first
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157
    York, ME Fight'n Four :P

"Ridin with pride" 1971 American LaFrance, former Hartford CT ENGINE 15
    "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on"

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey EMTA,
    Im not writting this to critize anyone, but to try to put somethings into perspective. You asked a question, and there are many very wonderful peices of advise here for you. Im 19 and still waiting for my EMT in the mail, and trust me i would love to respond to calls to help someone that could benifit from my training. The truth is that these people have been there and done it before, and obviously recomends against it. Now maybe you can do it all, and its not a problem for you, but you asked a question and heres what they had to say. Id listen.

MembersZone Subscriber

while kids i know are skipping school illegally to do drugs and get into trouble, i am leaving school because of my compliance, and eligibilty for a cooperative program between my high school and our fire department, to go and learn about fire/ems and to help people in need. In order to be allowed to leave school i must meet the same strict academic requirments that have been established for members of sports teams. I consider it a privilage, and a small reward, for all of the hard work that high school firefighters do, to be able to leave school for a call. I don't see how that is a "life altering" problem...

If an iresponsible high school student abuses this privilage, they should lose it, and in my school they have.

just my two cents...

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by EMTA20
    Jorie what MABAS box are you in if you are in one? I have a friend who lives up their and is in Box 3
    I live in MABAS Division 3 also.
    What town does your friend live in?

DFD232, the issue is placing your education first. One of the requirements to even apply for a Fire Department is to have your High School Diploma or GED. And it being a disturbance for others that are not going to a call. If you are keeping up with your studies without difficulties and going to calls by leaving class quietly, then that is your decision and priorities. Just say away form those doing the drugs and illegal activities.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

ranked 24th in a class of 400, 1300 on my SAT... its ok you can say it i am a nerd. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

brains count; don't knock them!
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Thread Information