Thread: EMT Waiver

Forum Member

Default EMT Waiver

Does any one have a EMT Waiver if they are under 19 on here. I know that in my town we are big enough that we don;t need one, but I know some ppl in small towns taht are Sophs in HS and are Certified EMT-B and get call outs during school. I am getting my EMT waiver for the "in a year" where u take the class when u are 17 and are certified a couple months early.

lucky billy...
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Does any one have a EMT Waiver if they are under 19 on here. I know that in my town we are big enough that we don;t need one, but I know some ppl in small towns taht are Sophs in HS and are Certified EMT-B and get call outs during school. I am getting my EMT waiver for the "in a year" where u take the class when u are 17 and are certified a couple months early.
    Under 19? I thought New Hampshire was a NREMT state? 18 is EMT B, or so I thought.

NREMT won't send out your cards "really" early. I was pushing the limit I was told when I got mine. (FR before 16th birthday by about 1 and 1/2 months)

umm im 18....

is that what you wanted?
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

Originally posted by N8sfd333
    umm im 18....

is that what you wanted?

no i want under 18

hahaha

Forum Member

Most states, in fact I do believe all of them require you to be 18yoa to test, and NREMT requires you to be 18+ to test. Getting called out of school=loss of knowledge=failure of classes=cant get certifications.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

that may be your state, but here you can get a waiver signed that say you can get certified, thats why i was wondering how other states go about that. and if you get all the stuff you missed when you were on a call, i don;t see how its a loss of learning, its like when you are a sick from a day fo school. you still get everything you missed when you get back....

Forum Member

Default Stay in School during the Day !!!

Some time ago on these forums the thought that Junior Members/Explorers...Basically anyone under 18 should not be allowed to leave school to respond to a call because of daytime manpower shortages...

Now I see the Idea of an EMT Waiver so that High School Aged EMT Members can leave important life changing instruction to respond to an ambulance call.

NO WAY....If your organization has daytime manpower problems than have the Officer in charge seek mutial aid....No Student should leave High School for an emergency response....There simply isn't a need.

I don't care if you're 18 or not....Doesn't matter.....What you kids don't realize is this......If you manage to graduate because you took my advice you'll soon see that your future bosses where you'll be working will not honor an EMT Waiver allowing you to respond....So what makes High School any diffrent from My Regular Job ?

Yes I'm a Career Firefighter but I'm also a Volunteer -- Do y'all think my shift Lieutenant would let me leave to answer an ambulance call with my Vollie Dept ? Ahhhhhhh I think not.

Get your education than worry about the EMS/Fire Dept.

lighten up dude, it doesnt matter, if a person is 18 and the dept has it worked out with the high school what are you gonna do?
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

My comments were not ment to be taken lightly.....They were a learning tool.

If a school, student, department, and parents "Work Out" a deal for responses during school and the Student is 18 ....Well that's on the student.

But take a moment to think of the disruption this causes. Pager alerts in the middle of an Algebra Lesson...You have now disturbed others who are not involved in EMS and are now concentrating on you fumbling to leave the room

The same applies to us adults out here in the work world...Before I became a Career Firefighter/EMT I worked as a trucking terminal manager....Basic Office Type Setting. Yeah I carried my pager into work and it would be disruptive during staff meetings, conference calls, and the like.

I wasn't allowed to leave but did I ? Yes ...Twice in 5 years of being employed there for actual fires above a 2nd. alarm.

To share a quick story....I saw a few of my friends go through wanting to leave school because the beeper was their god....Their thought was "We'll be Paid Guys after High School...So we don't need all this education. Where are they today ? Well they're not "Paid Guys" One is a manager of a Video Store and the other still works for his father's Landscaping Co. - The Video Store Guy out right told me he can't pass a F.D. Exam because of the mechanical and Math Questions. Neither of these guys make great money - They do ok enough to pay their bills but have nothing left except making a few Volunteer Runs now and again because their jobs keep them busy

If you remember nothing else...Remember this. School and Work Come 1st. They are priorities in life as well as a family.

Volunteering as a Firefighter or EMT although very much an important activity is a Hobby and should be considered in your spare time.

Sorry for being long winded on this but I wanted to have my point understood....I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers but if that what it took than I might have just gotten it across.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

I thought that I would share my two cents on this subject.....

I can understand the posts for Jr./Explorers to concentrate on high school and not respond on fire/rescue/ems calls during their school hours, it is important to successfully make it through this chapter of your lives, to allow for you to be successfull later in your lives.
    However, after reading the last post with the examples of the two guys who decided to concentrate on their fire department during high school and now are not as successful as they would like to have been, should not be blamed on their participation on the fire department. I would venture to say that these two were probably not the best students in school to begin with and there are probably more factors involved.
    As for me, I was a member of my fire department all during high school. At age 16, I was able to respond on all calls. Now, the SOP's for my program strictley demonstrated what GPA I must maintain during this time or I would simply be not able to participate in fire department activities. So, I made the choice to respond on calls while I was in high school with full cooperation from my school/teachers.
    I was able to graduate from high school in the top 10% of my class. I am now successfully entering my last year of my Fire Protection Engineering degree from one of the most challenging programs in the nation. So, my goal of this post was to also demonstrate that their are success stories from responding during high school, but I do not want to mislead anyone to think that this was easy. I definetly had to work hard at it and do not recommend it for everyone. Make sure that you evaluate your priorites and confirm that they are where they need to be during this time. Thanks

Forum Member

Well put !!!
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

talking about education i had a 4.0 gpA and was number 15 in my class, while I was responding to these calls, that may i add, happened maybe twice a week, you need to know that it was a small dept, for a small town, and we only did it from 8-5 when the adults in the community worked to make a living for their families, most of the ppl in the group i was in went to lare D-1 schools, and went to become very successful, so you say education is big, your right it is, thats why you come in for extra help if you need it, and get what you miss. Also thats why their is a "vibra" mode on ur pager...

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know how it is where you are, but where I am in Illinois there was no emt class in High School. That could also be because you need to be 18 years old AND have a HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA to become certified as an Illinois EMT-B.

But a High School Diploma is going to be one of your most important documentations you will ever earn. Without it you're going to have major difficulties continuing with a higher education. As for leaving a class for a call; sure a great help for the community, but if one is unable to do the catch-up work you won't be able to continue with serving the community later. Your education is so vital, don't mess with that. Without your High School Diploma, your chances with getting a job with a Fire Department are going to be slim to none.

I know when I was out of school for 6 weeks because I was sick. I had to work my tail off to get back on track. And when you get into college, if you miss one day of class it's like missing a week!

As BD6413 said earlier:
    Get your education than worry about the EMS/Fire Dept.
    Best of luck,

Jorie

OSUFire1, Wow! Good for you!
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Forum Member

ok enough with the whole education is the first thing, we knoiw, it still is, I am not saying we hang out at the station all day waiting for calls. We go to class just like anyone else. If we so happen to get a call during school, we go to it, then come back, get what we missed turn it in, and get the grades. Ew have to keep at least an 85 communitve GPA not including athletics or electives. So I still don;t see the big deal. And like I said before. Every state is diffrent In my state, your city can get a waiver, like mine does, where you can get certifeid at 16 and a half, thats not every city in this state, just mine. Their are others here also but not all of them. So still i don;t see the big deal

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by EMTA20
    that may be your state, but here you can get a waiver signed that say you can get certified, thats why i was wondering how other states go about that. and if you get all the stuff you missed when you were on a call, i don;t see how its a loss of learning, its like when you are a sick from a day fo school. you still get everything you missed when you get back....
    I thought you wanted to know how it is done in other states. Is that not your question? Wasn't trying to patronize you, sorry if you felt that way. That is just how it is out here.

As long as one can keep up with their studies and serve the community, fine. Best of luck to anyone who does this.

Just my personal opinion: Just because one would receive the written material later, from being absent from class; does not mean they get 'everything you missed when you get back'. There is material that is only taught at that time in class. speaking form an instructors view.

Jorie
    Please note the smiley faces!
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Forum Member

Jorie, sorry I over reacted their are just some ppl on this bored that go over board when they respond to some topics, again, I am sorry.

Forum Member

because I'm going to be lazy, I'm going to cut and paste what I said when this topis was brought up a little over a year ago:
    when i was in high school, i sometimes took my pager with me to school. and it stayed in my car until the end of the day. the only time i put it on was if i was staying after school for some type of activity. if you can't respond to calls, then having a pager serves no purpose. and if you can respond, it still serves no purpose, for two reasons: 1) if you are not a interior structural firefighter (ie, completed firefighter I) then you are mainly a gopher (go for this, go for that). yes, a gopher is nice to have, and cadets are useful on a fire scene, but you are added help, and not required and 2) if your pager goes off, it will disruprt everyone in class. if you leave, your cheating yourself out of your own education. trust me, the department will continue to function without you for that one call.

Let me give you some advice. I'm currently a college grad. I'm also an interior structural firefighter and an EMT. let me tell you from experience (and my ex g/f who was also an EMT will agree) when you get to college, it's embarrassing to have a pager go off in class. and i don't do it intentionally, i just forget i still have it on me. and i can leave class if i chose to. but i don't, because my education is more important. and having my pager go off is disruptive to the other students in my class and the professor.
    this whole thing was discussed before hand here:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...5&pagenumber=4

bottom line, get your education first, if your squad is so desperate that they are having your lose out on your school work to answer their daytime calls, then they have bigger issues. and in case your thinking "oh, i'm sooooo brilliant, I can miss a few classes because my pager goes off and disrupts everyone" just keep in mind that not everyone is as brilliant as you, and the other students might find that detrimental to their education.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

EMTA20 those that have replied to your thread have done so in guidance. It's advisable to listen to them, they have experience not just in the fire/ems service but in life too. It's important to learn not only from your experiences good and bad, but also learn from others. I'm not sure what year you are in school, but college is far different from High School. There will be people in those classes that will not tolerate a phone or pager going off, some professors will even have you leave the class if it goes off. The class is not just for one person it's for everyone. Just a bit of guidance.

As for those that 'may' over respond to a topic, sometimes it's best to let others make mistakes on their own, it can be the only way they will learn. I'll admit I do get very passionate about some subjects, but it is only becaue I care, as is the reason why others 'may' also over respond.

Jorie
    Not commenting on how an education is the key to everyting

Forum Member

I'm not saying this is in college, I am saying this in a small HS, in a town roughly the size of 8,000. Our pagers are not on an "audible" alert but a vibration one. If we didn't go to these calls, then no one would get their for about 15 to 30 minutes in the area we live in. What would you rather have, a certified Emt who is 17 there in around 5 mintutes, or a certified EMT who is 30 who is their in around 15. I will let you decide

Forum Member

I'm not saying this is in college, I am saying this in a small HS, in a town roughly the size of 8,000. Our pagers are not on an "audible" alert but a vibration one. If we didn't go to these calls, then no one would get their for about 15 to 30 minutes in the area we live in. What would you rather have, a certified Emt who is 17 there in around 5 mintutes, or a certified EMT who is 30 who is their in around 15. I will let you decide
    so your going to say to the teacher, "Mrs. jones, i have an ambulance call, I need to leave class, I'll be back in an hour", and you don't think this will be disruptive?

and who would I have treating me? a 17 year old kid, who has been an EMT for a couple of months, who's got less hair on his face than I have on my *** (i know, not a pretty thought), and who grabed his geometry HW so he wouldn't fall too far behind for the drive back to school?

Listen, I understand your eagerness, and how you don't understand where some of the old timers are coming from. and how you can skip class to go on fire calls, and it would be all fine and dandy. I've been in your shoes, and the bottom line is that you need to put your education first.

oh, and if your squad can't get crews out during the day, then they need to start paying people to ride the ambulance, maybe have one ambulance for the surrounding 6 towns, or whatever is cost effective. but having juniors answer the calls isn't a good idea.

and if you want a legal reason, consider this. a call sheet/ PCR / run sheet / whatever you call it is a legal document. it must be signed by the attendant/ crew cheif/ PIC/ whatever you call the person in the back of the rig to be considered acceptable in the eyes of the law. however, people under 18 (ie minors) cannot sign their name without a parent cosigning the form. so if you aren't 18, how can you legally sign that legal document?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Originally posted by DrParasite
    and if you want a legal reason, consider this. a call sheet/ PCR / run sheet / whatever you call it is a legal document. it must be signed by the attendant/ crew cheif/ PIC/ whatever you call the person in the back of the rig to be considered acceptable in the eyes of the law. however, people under 18 (ie minors) cannot sign their name without a parent cosigning the form. so if you aren't 18, how can you legally sign that legal document?
    "You say that First Responder Chris placed an oral airway and was venthilating the patient via bag valve mask, why isn't his name on the run form?"

You mean I have to have Mommy come sign the form now?

MembersZone Subscriber

EMTA20
    Not to be cynical but I have a hard time believing that you had a 4.0. Your posts have horrible spelling and you can't seem to find the shift key to get some capital letters on your sentences.

Originally posted by ramseycl
    EMTA20
    Not to be cynical but I have a hard time believing that you had a 4.0. Your posts have horrible spelling and you can't seem to find the shift key to get some capital letters on your sentences.
    Oh, they only do that because it's quicker to get something posted that way...

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you going to do in college? Leave during class too?

I'm from what I consider a midsized town, population~60,278. With surrounding towns with a population~23,747; 11,921; 28,229; 73,706; 30,363 and around 42,000. I consider this midsized because I'm about 20 minutes from Chicago. All these towns departments assist eachother when needed or when on the towns limits.

So I'll never know what your community is going through. Unless I move to an area like yours~never going to happen. I see that your community is short handed and EMT's and other emergency personnel are needed. What are the residency requirements? Maybe they should extend them.

As for deciding on who to wait for....please don't take this the wrong way....but, if I can wait, than I will. Then again if I can wait I would probably have someone drive me the the hospital(if it's safe to move). If it's I'm going to die in 15 minutes, be happy for any competent person help fight the fight.

I think we are concerned for your personal education and those who are disrupted from class who are not leaving for an EMS call.

Please know I'm trying to stir you or anyone up. Just would like to know your reasoning/mindset.

Take care and stay safe;
    Jorie

Thread Information