Forum Member

Question Crossfire over Crosslays--idea's anyone..

As I said before, I'm just learning about the fire side of this place. While doing this and pulling shift, one of the things I LOVE to do, is roll hose and pull hose! How ever, I don't really know a whole lot about any of it outside of our area of the map.
    SO- recently one of the other shifts decided to try loading our cross lay in a triple. We usually load them on as a modified Jones (what ever that came from?? ) and now there is a big discussion/debate on how we should load it all the time. After running time trials and everything else, I like the triple out of the box--but the jones gets around corners a little easier. The time differences were minimal, so I wonder ( with what little knowledge I have) if any of you can offer an opinion or ideas on what would be a good try. I would love to offer a formidable opinion that could make everyone's job easier!!!
    Thanks Every one!

Forum Member

The best advice I could offer is find what works the best for everyone and stick to it, that way everyone knows it, everyone learns it and everyone can teach the "newbies" how to use it, We had a department where I run EMS and every shift would load the pumper a different way and it led to a big mess when people would change crews.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

and that therein lies the problem .............needs to company/dept wide.......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Here we go again.................

Look kids, we done gone thru this for umptygazillion times already. Don't make life harder than it already is, just rack the hose and shut up. This ain't rocket science, and you don't have to make it worse, just keep it simple.

Find the piece of pipe that you hook the hose up to, find the right end of the hose and hook it to the pipe. Rack the hose into the bed. When you have enough hose on, then connect the nozzle to the end of the hose, and lay it on top of the pile. When you need to put out a Fire, GRAB THE NOZZLE AND RUN. The hose will follow you. Guaranteed. when all of the hose is out of the bed, you'll know it!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I Agree, I feel the same way, just grab it and go fast!! Flames showing? GO FASTER!! Unfortunatly, the rest of the dept. doesn't care about my opinions much(YET ). And each shift loads the hose the way they want it. Which I would think, as some of you have already pointed out--that leads to what the guys call, a "Cluster--" So I guess what I'm searching for are some ideas on not only what you all think works best, but are there other hose lays that could be utilized that your dept. has found to be user friendly?? Either way, I'm just excited play on the "big red trucks" So I'll pull it, lay it or roll it any way they want it!! But it never hurts to learn new tricks! Right?!

Forum Member

Default Re: Here we go again.................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Look kids, we done gone thru this for umptygazillion times already. Don't make life harder than it already is, just rack the hose and shut up. This ain't rocket science, and you don't have to make it worse, just keep it simple.

Find the piece of pipe that you hook the hose up to, find the right end of the hose and hook it to the pipe. Rack the hose into the bed. When you have enough hose on, then connect the nozzle to the end of the hose, and lay it on top of the pile. When you need to put out a Fire, GRAB THE NOZZLE AND RUN. The hose will follow you. Guaranteed. when all of the hose is out of the bed, you'll know it!
    Amen, Harve!

Imagine if every shift changed the the hoseloads to suit them, the equipment in the compartments to suit them, etc. etc. etc.

Arrive on the fireground after a shift change, we would all look like monkeys trying to hump a football!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Originally posted by sassy1
    And each shift loads the hose the way they want it. Which I would think, as some of you have already pointed out--that leads to what the guys call, a "Cluster--"
    And I believe that was a problem that was pointed out in the Cincinnati, OH FD report after they lost a brother........

The hose is loaded 1 way for all shifts........... Period.

This is why we have Fire Chiefs.

He with the most bugles, wins.

"Ok boys and girls, enough bull****. You have one week to grouse, bitch, wax poetic, whine, and practice. At shift change, you get to load the crosslay like you want. Which ever shift can stretch their load the quickest in the test I lay out, that's the load we'll use."
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Default Re: Here we go again.................

Originally posted by hwoods

Thank You Hwoods, well said........I'll simplfy it.....Carry Some, Drag Some....end of story....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Here on my department in Louisiana we use a pretty standard nozzle-top hoseload with 2 loops for pulling off parts of the load, but on the department I left in Vermont a couple of years ago, we used a nozzle-on-the bottom load which worked fairly well and most of the time minimized tangling and spaghitti. Basically the whole 200' came out of the bed and rested on your shoulder, and as you walked the hose flaked off the top, leaving the nozzle in your hand. Downside was a little bit heavy for some of our smaller folks or if ya had to slog through a couple of feet of snow it was a tad of work but worked well FOR US (maybe not for YOU) most of the time. The 2 1/2" was a standard nozzle-up load with a couple of loops. It did require a little bit more training to take off and required 3-4 folks to reload (it was in the rear bed not a crosslay). We also carried 1-2 reels of 300-400'each of handline instead of booster over the pump (older trucks had 1 reel and the newer trucks were speced with 2 larger reels)... thats actually where we pulled most of our attack lines from simply because it was soooooooooooo easy to reload and didn't take much more time to deploy than the pre-connects.

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks guys for all your opinions!! I'm going to go over them with one of our engineers--he's the BOMB when it comes to knowing his loads! (That sounds weird) I trust him to teach me alot!!
    Again-THanks x 3!!

Thread Information