Thread: Fire House Dogs

Forum Member

Default Fire House Dogs

Anyone here have a fire house dog? If so are you Volly, Career, Combo? Is it a traditional dalmation or another breed?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

No dogs here, in fact we aren't even aloud to let or own pups in the firehouse.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

No dogs, but I have seen a few mutts come and go in my time....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Truckie

No dogs, but get a few mice, and every great while, a rat comes out of the cellar.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Originally posted by SPFDRum
    No dogs, but get a few mice, and every great while, a rat comes out of the cellar.
    Forget a dog .......... you NEED a CAT!!!!
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

no doggies here either.........some members do have personal Dalmatians....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I've seen one dog at a chicago department when I was a child. know I don't see then anymore. I used to think they were to help with search and rescue. But, I'm not sure anymore. What is the purpose of the dog in a firehouse? Besides to be cute and loveable!

Jorie

"How much is that doggie in the window? The one with the waggly tale! Woof Woof!"

Forum Member

Originally posted by JorieH
    What is the purpose of the dog in a firehouse? Besides to be cute and loveable!
    The answer to your question is...

To find the fire hydrants, duh! No, seriously...

Like so many other things in the fire service, it's a tradition. Why? The following web site explains it very well:
    http://www.toledofiremuseum.com/dalm...dalmatians.htm

~Courtney
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

I've been told that dalmations and horses get along extremely well and given the nature of a dalmation it will attack anything that will try to harm anything it "loves". Its a pretty interesting psychi (sp?) breakdown. At night and when the fire company would be in house the dogs would protect the horses in the stables and also on fire scenes.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

We have a cat that we saved in an abandoned building that we were having a training fire in. He came out smoking, so we called him Smokey. He is about 8 years old now, and the greatest, and probably ugliest, cat in the world.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

MembersZone Subscriber

I also heard that dalmations are deaf, which is why they were the ideal dog to keep around because the sirens and bells and everything wouldn't freak them out.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member

Some dalmatians are deaf, but not all.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

Originally posted by fdmhbozz
    Some dalmatians are deaf, but not all.
    Yep, dalmations being deaf is a myth.
    guys at my station have been talking about getting one, some of the guys on one shift really won't one, but their officers don't; on another shift it is the opposite; and the last is mixed. The volunteers seem to be generally in favor, but no one has steped up to be the lead guy in charge, so who know if it will ever happen.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

No animals @ our house either.
    Rath De Ort

RSM

Forum Member

Well, if a rat the size of a dog counts then yes, we have a herd of them here in the Motor City.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member

We have a beautiful yellow lab that is an accelerant detection canine. She stays at the firehouse every 3rd day for 24 hours with her handler. She is loved by all of us and she even has her own recliner. Once in awhile she even rides on the engine. There are still quite a few Chicago firehouses that have dogs. Some are dalmatians but most are mutts that are lucky enough to have found a good home with a very extended family. C.F.D. Dogs
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

we have a few station dogs in kc, some are dalmations, one or two are other breeds. some are just shift dogs and go home with the someone from the shift, others are station dogs and live there 24-7. there are more than a few stray cats that get fed, and sleep in the locker rooms, too. as for their purpose...dogs make life better. period.

Permanently Removed

Default Dogs..

We had a station dog. Way, WAY too much work for the shifts.
    You always get fur on your uniform(s) and the furnature. The
    other guy always has to feed it and if they bark all night,
    what a pain.

Then your station fund has to buy the dog food, pick up the
    dog droppings, the list goes on...

Maybe a cat for the mice would be a good idea!

Forum Member

Worked in a house that had 2 during my time there. They were mutts but were great. They always were glad to see you,liked being with you,and never tried to borrow money from you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Co11FireGal-great link!

tradition is great, but if the dog won't catch a rat/mouse it's time to get a mouser. Cats are also easier to take car off, no walking and most of the time they're quieter. well that counts for all other cats; not mine, Skooter loooves to talk and talk.

Jorie

Forum Member

Our FH has a Golden Retreiver that is trained to do search and rescue work. It comes and goes with the FF that owns him on shift and got the grant to pay for the training.

We love the dog, the other shifts love to bitch about the dog.

I wish dog hair was the biggest issue facing our FD.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't say that we have an "official" station dog, but the chief often brought his border collie to the station during training or meetings. I liked the dog, but he bit the crap out of the chairman of the fire board. We don't see much of him anymore (the dog). I think the chairman was jealous that during training the dog caught on faster than some of us FF's... VfdDoc

MembersZone Subscriber

20 Truck in Soho, NYC, has a really great dog named, Twenty, a dalmation. Twenty was a gift to the house after 9/11 (can't remember who the gift was from). I've visited with Twenty a couple of times- what a sweetheart!

Forum Member

Not too terribly long ago, the Captain of a certain CFD house said "no more dogs". Not long afterward, the firehouse got robbed while they were all in quarters. The guy on watch was sleeping. Guess what they went and got and still have? WOOF WOOF
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Our shifters are welcome to bring their dog to work with them, we always have one or two hanging out at the house. It is a great tradition. Pretty boy firefighters might not like getting a couple of dog hairs on them, but who cares. they make up what 1% of the fire service... I would rather have a good dog then one of them any day of the week. Only thing worse than a pretty boy fireman is a whinen pretty boy fireman.

Thread Information