Forum Member

Default why you want to become firefighters?

Hey I was just woundering why you guys want to become firefighters? The reason I would like to become a firefighter is that its a job that you will have fun doing, your not behind a desk all day, you will always have a good felling that you helped somebody. Thats why i want to be a firefighter.

Richard Lopez Jr.
    Capt. E-1
    Salt River Fire Dept.
    "Serving Today to Protect Your Tomorrow"

I want to be a firefighter for several reasons. First its true, what they say about it being a family thing, My greatgrandfather, and grandfather were firefighters and my dad is currently the senior guy on the dept.

Also i have grown up in the firehouse, i have the attitude, humor and thought process of a firefighter, anyother job i get into just doesnt do it for me. I cant find the unity and family"hood" that is found in a firehouse anywhere i go.

Theres a whole lot more to it but thats the basics...
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

N8sfd333 has a great response because when he goes for an interview the chief wants to hear things like this (a personal story or expierence) what they don't want to hear are things like "you get to break stuff" or "i want to help people" or "cause its fun and looks cool" these are called clone answers and no chief wants to hear them. So remember relate it to a personal story and you will be fine.
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

Permanently Removed

Default Here...

Sorry, but those are very common answers also known as
    "clone answers".

Here is some very good info. on the subject...

http://www.firecareers.com/viewmessa...=11&Topic=4540
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-02-2004 at 05:52 AM.

N8sfd333 has a great response because when he goes for an interview the chief wants to hear things like this (a personal story or expierence) what they don't want to hear are things like "you get to break stuff" or "i want to help people" or "cause its fun and looks cool" these are called clone answers and no chief wants to hear them. So remember relate it to a personal story and you will be fine.
    thanks matt, hopefully i dont breakdown in nervousness.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Default A good lesson from our good friend Capt Bob

Why Do You Want to be a Firefighter?

This is one of the toughest questions to answer without sounding like a Clone. Often it could be one of the first if not the first question.

I want to clear the air about using clone answers. It’s not that you can’t use clone answers. You can. But first you need to deliver a personalized signature story about you relating to the question. Not a clone answer of anyone else. I haven’t met a candidate yet that couldn’t come up with signature stories. Signature stories demonstrate experience. They also tell that you not only know the answer to a question, you’ve lived it.

Firefighters love firefighter stories. If you open up with a signature story, you instantly separate yourself from the other clone candidates. Stories show the oral board who you really are. You capture the board and take them on a journey with a story they have never heard. Is this making sense?

Case in point. I just talked to a candidate who was dumping only clone answers on this question. Then he realized he could begin his answer with a signature story. He remembered a story he could use about a prank being played on him when he did a ride along with his brother. He couldn’t believe the difference. The story brought smiles and laughter from the panel members. Along with the calls they went on by the end of the day he knew this was the job that blended all his needs. He followed this story with his standard landmark clone answers. This was the first question on his oral. His answer made everyone more comfortable and the interviewed flowed a lot smoother than before.

The toughest thing for candidates to do in an oral is being themselves on purpose. When you are yourself, you become conversational because you are on your own turf. This alone can lower the stress and the butterflies.

Stories are more than facts

Stories are more than facts
    If you can create the excitement, emotion, the color and magic to relive the actual event, you will capture the interest and a top score on that question. A big part of getting this job is convincing the oral board that you can do the job before you get it. Stories are convincing and can demonstrate your education and experience even if they’re not fire related.

During coaching with a candidate one day and he was giving me those clone answers why he wanted to be a firefighter. I stopped him and had him rewind the videotape of his life. He remembered being a life guard at age 14. Take it back further (this is one of the values of a coach). He said, "Oh, I'm from South America. When I was growing up, we lived with my grandfather who was the fire chief of the city. I got to go with him and be exposed to the who department."

I asked if he had ever told that story in any of his oral board interviews? He said, "No". Why not? I will bet you big money you are a clone candidate right now. But, I bet you also have some personal signature stories that could instantly change your interview scores.

Practice those stories with a tape recorder. Condense them down to a minute or less. Don't go on a journey. The oral board is not packed for the trip. Once you answer an oral board with a signature story, you can marry the rest of your answer with those clone answers you have been using. Try it and see the amazing difference.

You won't have time and it's not appropriate to use a signature story for every answer. Tell the story. Make the point. Move on.

A candidate wrote:

I have thought long and hard about the answer to "why do you want to be a firefighter". I'm having a tough time putting it into words. My biggest desire to be a firefighter is because I love the way the department functions first as a family, then as a job.

I've had way too many jobs that were just corporate ladder climbers and backstabbers. Do you think if I push the "family" aspect will I get max points for that question?

Reply: This is a "Clone" answer. Try to think of what really sparked your interest to be a firefighter. Come up with those signature stories. Once you have the board hooked into listening to you, you can use those other "Clone" answers to caboose your answer.
    By the way, I would never use, "I've had way too many jobs that were just corporate ladder climbers and backstabbers", as part of your answer. It might give a bad impression of you to the oral board.

I asked a candidate, who was testing for Oakland, one day why he wanted to be a firefighter. He gave me the typical "Clone" answer, "It's giving back to the community, public service, helping other's, blah, blah, zzzzzzzzzzzz."

I stopped him and asked, "What really got you interested in being a firefighter?" He said, "Oh, well I grew up in Oakland, but moved to Shasta during high school. After graduation I went to hotel management school in Reno. That didn't work out, so I moved back to Oakland and started going to Chabot College. I met an old friend who was in the fire science program. We ended up over at his house. His father was a Captain for Oakland. They got me all fired up, I signed up in fire science, got my firefighter 1, became a medic and I'm currently a federal firefighter."

I just sat there amazed. I asked him if he had ever used this (his signature) story before? He said no. You gave me the "Clone" answer and you had this beauty sitting here? He polished up the story and practiced it with a tape recorder. He works proudly for the City of Alameda.

Another candidate remembered he had the Gage and Desoto dish and cup set from the TV series Emergency. His mom had a picture of him in front of the TV as a kid eating off it when the show came on. He took that picture to his orals. Did it work? He works for San Jose Fire.

After a written test I asked a group of six candidates why they wanted to be firefighters. They were amazed that what they thought was unique was only a “Clone”. After I worked with one in the group with his signature story of why he wanted to be a firefighter, the rest of the group used the formula to put together their own too.

I have yet to find a candidate who doesn't have signature stories. The problem is they don't know how to use them. You might not know yours today. But, after reading this, you will have some aha’s in the next few days.

I know you have been number 3 in Seattle, in the top 5 at Ontario, made the cut on the CPS test, waiting for the next call from LA City, and tested in Portland, Stockton, and passed the tough physical agility test in Phoenix to go onto the oral. If you're a medic, you had the advantage of taking more tests.

Opps, I almost forgot

Some will say, "Captain Bob" how can you help so many candidates without making them into clones?" Good question. Simple answer. The real reason is nobody else can tell your story! Nobody! When you start lacing your answers with your personalized experiences is where you start to shorten that gap between you and that infamous badge.

Hands down, we help more firefighters get hired in the US of A and Canada than anyone else! Coast to coast, in every state and major city in the America, 24 hours a day, are protected by firefighters who went through our program!

It's a great feeling if you can be a part of the change in someone's life. Multiply that by over 2,200 badges throughout the United States and Canada and you will understand that this is our reward. My firefighter son Rob and I have a great passion in seeing candidates get a badge. This is serious work.

We can shorten the learning curve to the closest point between you and the badge. Like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, we’re not going to give you anything you don’t already have. We’re just going to show you where it is. There is a badge out there for you. You just haven’t seen it yet. We will show you how to nail it!
    Eat Stress For Breakfast -- And Get The Badge

Capt. Bob has quite a few good articles. Clone answers will get you no-place real fast.

So now, why do you want to become a firefighter?

I was wondering why you typed so much to repeat matt and calf...?
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

I just copied and pasted that into a quote from EatStress.Com...just to reinforce what CalffBou and Matt posted.

i see, good points though, the generic "i like to help people, and im good at learning this stuff" answer dont work anymore, they are looking for heart.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

My reason is simple. I love helping people. I love the gratification that you get from helping someone. Im not doing it for the glory, or because of 9/11. I know some people may think this is a "clone response", but that is my reason. I guess you would really have to be me in order to understand the passion that I have for becoming a firefighter. Even though my explorer post has been teporarily put on hold (I hope thats it) i still go to the fire dept. every weekend and days off i have from school. The firefighters say that I am the only explorer that they have seen there since we were told we couldn't ride. So like i said before, I guess you would have to be me to understand the passion I have for firefighting.
    Anything Goes!

"I have no ambition in ths world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position in the eyes of some, may appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us, and stimulates us to do deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrafice." ---- Edward F. Crocker Cheif of Department FDNY 1899-1911

The reason I want to be a firefighter, lets see....When I was in 7th grade my sister and I were in a really bad MVA. She had a rather nasty head injury. I was lucky. The amazing thing was that I didn't freak out and start running around in circles. I got out of the car, went to her side of the car and pulled her out. Turned the car off and put it in park. Once I had my sister stabilized I started directing traffic untill EMS and Fire got on scene and made me lay down on a backboard. After a few months I looked back on that and realized it was a sign. Everyone in the business of EMS and Fire has a god given gift. Im not talking about being strong or fearless, I'm talking about the gift of being able to operate when others cant. To put aside things that have happened during the time before a call, to forget the bad day or the headache, the gift of being able to push aside everything that has happened before that moment, that moment when you know somebody needs help. Every day I wake up I thank the man above for giving me that ability and the strong desire to help others in their times of need. I am by no stretch of the imagination a very religious person but I do believe that someone or something is calling the shots here. Not sure if this is a "clone" answer or not, or even if it makes any sense but hey, its how I feel.

Bobble7

Default why you want to become firefighters

Well for me I have it in my family as follows:

1 Great-Grandfather (Watertown MA)
    2 Grandfathers (Boston MA L-17 and Watertown L-1)
    2 Uncle's (Framingham MA E-1 & Capt on Watertown E-1)
    My mothers cusin is the President of the Proff FF's of Mass

FOr me being a FF, It just fits the type of person I am, so being a FF would be a goal in life i am loooking at reaching. Also after the horrible events of 9/11/01, it made me more push to become a FF, after i saw on TV what had hapened to all the 343 fellow Firefighters. The way i see it, the motivation is their, every step i have to walk up a flight of staris lets say, i just think of the fellow brothers who had alot more to do than me, that keeps me going, not to mention the memory of my grandfather, through all the medical problems i had as a kid, would love to see me as a Firefighter
    Firefighter- Sanbornton NH Fire-Rescue
    Explorer- Derry NH Fire Department
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever
    In Memory- FF Gerard P. Dewan-9/11/01

Forum Member

Why do I want to be a firefighter?........

I know part of the reason stemmed from 9/11. I remember sitting in our school library and all I could think was how can they march up those stairs to a fire that they most likely will never put out. By that time the first tower already fell, and I had a feeling the second tower would fall. I also remember looking away from the TV for a second and then a kid said "Where did the other tower go?" After that day I realized that I could never do a desk job. My uncle is a volly at the same dept I am. I always remember him having to sacrifice time with me and his children to answer the call. I also remember when my grandfather's combine caught fire and the wonderful response our fd had. I also have been through some tought calls, last winter or so my grandma was rear ended by a semi and it through me for a loop when i saw it, yet i was able to keep it together and help the situation get better and not worse. Then I think I experienced the worst call I have ever been on. The sad thing is it was completely avoidable. We teach it to elementary kids all the time. Get out and stay out. We had a mutual aid call in the next town over for a bar fire. We found that they had one person still inside. I wanted so bad to be able to go in and help search for him, but being as I was not of age I was pretty much helpless. Then I saw my uncle (asst chief) and my fire chief found him and pulled him out. He was completely unresponsive and not breathing and when that happened all I could think was how bad I felt for the family, yet I still functioned as I was ordered to. The next day I finally realized what really happened and I started to cope with it. And instead of beating myself up about it I realized that it was nothing we did or didn't do it was the fact he went back into this bar after he got out. I feel that these events have shown to me that I want to be a firefighter because I want to help make sure nothing like that happens again. But I know it will and when it does I know I can still operate as needed, even under extreme stress.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

The reason I want to become a Fire Fighter stems form many reasons.First is from family. My dad raised me on the ways of a small FD, which i use even as a explorer here in Wichita,KS.Second was 9/11.I was in 7th grade, too young to join the post, but I did, 2 and a half years ago, and I love this job.

MembersZone Subscriber

why do i want to be a firefighter....to break **** mostly
    ASSUME NOTHING

MembersZone Subscriber

That shows mow much we DON'T need people like yourself in the Fire Department. Go back to playing with your Matchbox Cars Kid. Responses like this are the precise reason people dump on juniors so much.

Get a life kid...and find a new hobby. If property destruction is what get's your jollies off, than go work for a demolition company. I, for one, and most of my colleagues, career and volunteer, take pride in overhaul by REDUCING damage to property and "trying" before "prying." Your response shows your lack of education in Fire Suppression tactics and your lack of maturity.

Stay away from my Firetruck Junior!~
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

I'm not an explorer, but I couldn't help to tell my reason. It actually happened because one day about 4 years ago, my son and I were sitting on the couch watching some show about firefighters. After a while, he asked "Hey Daddy, since you like to help others, why aren't you a firefighter?" I simply said "I don't know." I thought about it for a couple of days, and by the end of the week I was getting hired on as a Reserve. A couple of years later and I became a career firefighter and haven't looked back once about joining the service....all thanks to my son. Just as a side note, I joined when I was 26 years old, so it doesn't matter how old you are, it matters how much you're willing to apply yourself to achieve your dreams.
    Last edited by Stick533; 02-05-2005 at 07:08 PM.
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Ever since I was born I've wanted to be a firefighter. I was always playing with toy fire trucks. But, the trucks are not why I want to do it. My dad was a firefighter for 27 years, and I saw the self satisfaction he got from helping people. It made me want to be a firefighter. I like to help people in tough situations, and thats exactly what firefighters do.
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Forum Member

If that's why you are in the department, don't you remember in your training property conservation?

The reason I have joined is because it's in my blood to help people, My greatgrandfather was the chief on the department I am on and now I have 2 brothers on the department with me one is chief, my other brother is on a neighboring dept..

Forum Member

sorry don't realy know how to use the quote thing but will learn I am new to the forums..

MembersZone Subscriber

tiller man

The breaking stuff thing was just a joke, i was trying to break away from the other answers. Sorry it was a childish thing to say but for a strait answer i joined because in the town i live in everyone either drinks every weekend and then talks about it on the weekdays and if theres one thing i hate its drinking. I joined my ambulance division to do something and to put it straight i fell in love with the people the events and everything in between. When i picked up the application for the fd it became more of the same from ems except it was straying from the medical field and on top of helping others your pushing yourself physically and mentally
    so thats my real answer im sorry for the childish crap about breaking "sh*t"
    ASSUME NOTHING

Forum Member

Why did i Join the Fire Department????
    Ever Since I was a little kid and heard the siren I would run out to the window and watch as the fire truck would pass by. Then when I started school and fire prevention week came around and the firefighters came on the truck and talked to us about fire saftey. By listen to them and hearing about what a firefighters job was I was highly fasinated by being a firefighter that is all that I wanted to do for as long as i could remember. For the family thing I do not have many roots in the firehouse. Actually the firehouse that I am going to join i guess my great-grandfather and great uncle were members. My father is in public service but is not a firefighter. I think that public serivce runs in the blood. However most of my family is associated with the Military. I had to make my choice it was either the Coast Guard my second love or a firefighter... I chose to become a firefighter so that I can help people in any way that I can. It is not a job and it will never be a job. I am determined to get onto a paid department after i graduate from college. But until then i will run with my hometown volunteer company.
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

MembersZone Subscriber

The reason why I want to be a FF.
    I have had the child hood dream like everyone else has had of being a FF. But it is more than that. I want to help out the community, and learn about things that could one day save someones life. I don't see being a FF as a job. I see it as more of a person with courage that really cares for his or her community. I don't really have anyone else in my family that I know of that has been a FF, but traditions always start some where in the time line.

Live life to the fullest and learn all you can while you can.
    Nikon

Forum Member

I was inspired by my best friend (Uncle Charlie) when I was 4yrs old. He was 68yrs old at the time and I'd always ride on the tractor down to his volunteer station and he'd tell me all about the trucks/pumps/equipment.. like I actually understood!! HECK! I could tell you the GPM that a truck could pump water, but the heck if I actually knew what a gallon was... let alone GPM!! I joined when I was 14 as a jr. And now have been with my current department 2 years (in May) as a FF/EMT.
    Uncle Charlie (who was not related to me) was a retired Fire Chief when I met him when I was 4. He had his Fire Chief badge mounted onto a plaque and gave it to me. He also gave me his old turn-out pants, jacket, helmet, and suspenders. He had a massive stroke in 1999 and I visited him in the Hosp. and promised to make him proud and do my best in the fire service. He is my motivation when the going gets tough. Since he passed away, I had a shadow box made and mounted his suspenders, department patch, and a photo of us on his tractor... it's great to see that in the morning when I'm feeling lazy!
    So I credit Uncle Charlie for introducing me to the fire service and giving me my first ride in a fire truck. It has been 16 years since then and I haven't looked back!
    Originally posted by Stick533
    A couple of years later and I became a career firefighter and haven't looked back once about joining the service....all thanks to my son.
    I'd be interested to know whether you son has a passion for the fire service?!

Forum Member

FTMPTB15, I know its not considered "man like" to cry but I have to say ur post brought a tear to my eye. That is a pretty cool thing u did for "Uncle Charlie".
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Thread Information