Thread: The Deadly Hood

Thumbs down The Deadly Hood

Hoods only good to blow your nose in at a fire.

What do you think??????
    Derek
    Auburn FD

LEATHER FOREVER

Derek I could not agree with you more because they give you a false sense of how hot the fire may or may not be.

It all comes down to the tingle and burn because that is when you know to open up the nozzel and put the wet stuff on the red stuff.

they also installed earflaps for a reason!
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

Truckie

Call me when they are carving parts off your *** to replace your ears, backdraft.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Originally posted by SPFDRum
    Call me when they are carving parts off your *** to replace your ears, backdraft.
    My thoughts exactly..........

Forum Member

If your refering to the use of Nomex hoods, I use one. I like the sence of knowing just about 99% of my body will be somewhat protected by some form of fire protection.

In using the hoods i think you have to be more aware of your atmposphere and conditions more, as you may not be able to feel the heat on your neck. However i would much rather have it, and if I got into trouble be protected. Than not to have it and possible make a mistake that could leave burns if it possibly flashed over.

I know I have done both in my 10 years the first 4 I didnt wear one. After trying one and seeing the difference I wouldnt want to go without again. I was lucky enough to survive a flash over and the Hood without a doubt save me from getting burns. I find that the your PPE collar is just not enough protection.

dazed and confused

Default "Troll?"

LOL

There needs to be a stricter registration process. People are just going to keep registering new names and baiting people with "hot" topics here.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Hoods are replaceable, ears are not!

What a maroon!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

When the department I was on started using hoods about 10 years ago, I thought the same thing Smatt and Commish ..... but time has changed my mind and convinced me that they are as essential for personal protection as turnout gear, SCBAs and gloves. There are other ways to read the fire - banking, level and behavior of the smoke, rollover and flame behavior, fire behavior in void spaces, etc ....
    I may be old but still don't like getting burned.

Just my Thoughts.

Forum Member

There are other ways to read the fire - banking, level and behavior of the smoke, rollover and flame behavior, fire behavior in void spaces, etc ....
    Excellent point made here. The heat from a fire is terribly misleading, especially when you are considering what is burning in fires nowadays. All of the petroleum derivitives, synthetics, and materials burn hotter, faster, and thus affect the atmosphere more rapidly.

Combine this with the more energy efficient homes and buildings being built and all of that extra heat is going to fry your little butt, starting with exposed areas first.

When your ears "start burning" it is too late for you.

Learn to read the fire, read the smoke, the effects of combustion. This is a hard skill to master, but absolutely necessary to understand when teh situation is teneble and when to get out of Dodge.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Exclamation another for the goof file ................

the way fires burn and materials are made out of the hotter tehy are .....Ron you got the bottom line.....cauliflower ears, paperwork and plastic surgery and time off the job ? Or............. just put on your DAMN HOOD !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I always wore it when I was in the Engine, with the Nozzle, but honestly, I dont pull it up if Im searching before the line is in place, which is most of the time. Im just more confident that way.

Forum Member

Default o boy

my department issues them...therefore most of the guys wear them...why not it takes a couple extra seconds, and i mean really who wants to go home without ears? anyone?

Forum Member

ITS VERY HARD TO CRAWL WITH BOTH HANDS COVERING YOUR EARS!

And that what will happen if you get in a bad place, you hands will instinctively cover your ears.

NFPA compliant gear has a Thermal Protective Property of 20 and hoods have a TPP of 10. This means a TPP of 20 will protect you for 20 seconds at a temperature of 1500 degrees F and you will recieve second degree burns. Hoods, second degree burns after 10 seconds. Just slow up your entry a little bit and you will feel the heat on your ears. Slow down and you will speed up and make your overall operation more efficient and keep all of your body parts.

You need ears to attract girls.

Forum Member

Engine work = yes

Truck work= no

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MattyJ
    I always wore it when I was in the Engine, with the Nozzle, but honestly, I dont pull it up if Im searching before the line is in place, which is most of the time. Im just more confident that way.
    Agreed. If you're doing a search on your knees/belly and your ears are tingling, it's time to move away from that area. With a hood on, it could be easy for someone to get preoccupied with the search and let their guard down on the fire conditions. (Assuming the search is without a line) Besides, a hood can be pulled up in a matter of a few seconds (at the most) if conditions warranted. Of course the chin strap would not be used, but that's another debate.

Forum Member

So if your ears, face, and scalp are not worth protecting, why even wear PPE at all?

Following the line of reasoning, skin is skin, and how can you sense changes in conditions if your skin is covered by that thick, inconvenient bunker gear?

Besides, a hood can be pulled up in a matter of a few seconds (at the most) if conditions warranted.
    Could just save time, put the thing on, and when the world turns upside down, you can get out, instead of doing what you should have done before to save your pretty looks.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    So if your ears, face, and scalp are not worth protecting, why even wear PPE at all?

Following the line of reasoning, skin is skin, and how can you sense changes in conditions if your skin is covered by that thick, inconvenient bunker gear?

Could just save time, put the thing on, and when the world turns upside down, you can get out, instead of doing what you should have done before to save your pretty looks.
    Congrats for completely missing the point. If I'm doing a search and I'm in an area (without a line) that burns my ears when I'm on the floor, my ears are the last of my worries. Enough said.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!.........................

Originally posted by jmichael
    You need ears to attract girls.

Good point. They are also a big help in holding your glasses on. They are NOT replaceable, and some really ugly medical things can happen when fire gets access to your head. (Your ears ARE mounted on your head, Right?) Nomex is a lot cheaper than skin. Ask your doctor.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If you wanna feel the heat, peel back the hood a little where it meets your mask near your cheek, then put it back...simple enough..maybe not as effective...but safer.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member

Besides, a hood can be pulled up in a matter of a few seconds (at the most) if conditions warranted.
    And to pull up the hood, you have to take your lid off.....burning off your hair if you have any, or scalp if you don't.. yeah, that makes sense
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb To wear or not to wear....

I personally think it would be interesting to see how many guys that are so supportive of hoods actually perform actuall Truck Duties (aggressive search ahead of line) I know many on here state they perform an aggressive interior attack however I don't really believe that reading many comments from guys in the WWYD threads...etc.

If you actually performed duties as Matty and myself (and others, you know who you are on here) I find it hard to believe you would be so convicnced of wearing the hood.

Just so everyone knows I've been burned THROUGH my hood twice now in my carreer. And I firmly believe that if I wasn't wearing my hood I wouldn't have gotten my self into such a F#$%ed up situation to begin with. I personally feel I was just seconds away from a flashover in one of the times I was burned. If I wasn't wearing a hood I would have never been in that deep and wouldn't have been possibly caught in a flashover.

I would much rather loose some layers off my ears in a rare exception than to be burned to death in a flashover that I wouldn't have been in had it been for the hood.

Personally I have to agree with MattyJ. When on the Engine more times than not I use the hood. Because I am looking to get as close as possible to the fire and will be in close proximity to it I want to be like an Oven Mit because I will have a handline (In my area many times that will be a 2 1/2 inch) for protection.

And when in the truck I might have it around my neck but rarely use it. Because I will be on my own with out a handline. If I need protection I have the flaps on my helmet that will allow me enough time to get out of the area and allow the Engine to do its thing.

Also I've learned from many guys in my house who never wore one and went to more fires than you, me and any five guys in this forum combined will ever likely go to in their careers.(Before anyone claims they are from another time, I'll note that some retired only recently) I'll trust them over any "Safety Susies" who know more about NFPA standards than how to properly toss a room.

We are all adults and it is really up to the individual on what they feel good with.

Stay safe out there no matter what your decision.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Congrats for completely missing the point. If I'm doing a search and I'm in an area (without a line) that burns my ears when I'm on the floor, my ears are the last of my worries. Enough said.
    Got your point entirely, BUT considering the manner some of the posts were made, I felt the need to let my sarcastic side go. Your statement has some merit though.

We are all adults and it is really up to the individual on what they feel good with.
    Unless you ****** and moan afterwards when you get burned ro scalded from steam. Then I will bust your stones unmercifully for your career and ensure I point it out to every rookie that comes along.

But that is my perogative.

Also I've learned from many guys in my house who never wore one and went to more fires than you, me and any five guys in this forum combined will ever likely go to in their careers.
    And therin lies part of our problem. A hood is a great thing, but as the number of fires that actually are encountered drops preciptously, the amount of experience we are able to gain and apply drops even more so. Thus, we are less able to learn to read the fire and interpret what we are seeing, feeling, and hearing. Pretty much a two edged sword.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

DaSharkie said it best:
    Learn to read the fire, read the smoke, the effects of combustion. This is a hard skill to master, but absolutely necessary to understand when teh situation is teneble and when to get out of Dodge.
    That can be true of the entire protective envelope that we wear. Some people have made the same arguments for 3/4 boots and long coats.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: The Deadly Hood

Originally posted by Commish17
    Hoods only good to blow your nose in at a fire.

You're kidding right???
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Thread Information