Thread: Turkey Fryers

Forum Member

Default Turkey Fryers

http://www.ul.com/turkeyfryers/fryer.mpg
    Turkey Fryers have returned Thanksgiving and Christmas Days which have become overly safe with modern technology to the fun days of old for the bored firefighters on duty on the Holidays again!

Great job security in those thing folks!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

????How was the turkey? Flash fried I geuss!
    Good info - I hear the best oil to use.....if you use one... is peanut oil due to its high flash point. Ahhh tis the season!

Forum Member

I love deep fried turkey, seals in the jucies. Just do it smart!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default well

I've deep fried turkeys for the last 3 years and never had even a remote problem, and usually by the time we get around to dropping the bird in we're pretty fried too. I've spilled the oils down the side and past the flame with nothing happening like that video. All I can think is we use canola oil which, and I haven't found any info yet, might have a higher flash point as opposed to whatever they used in that test... plus make sure the bird is completely defrosted.

~Tide
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I use peanut oil, too. Deep frying akes those birds really good. One important thing to remember is to make sure it is dry. I'd say a lot of problems comes from a wet bird and all the moisture making a bomb out of the pot once it turns to steam.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Been there... seen that. We had one burn up a garage and a fair amount of the attached residence last Thanksgiving.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

In the narrator's first line he says " a partially frozen turkey" (no good) and then they just drop it right in (slow immersion works better) I know they are trying to educate people about fire safety but rigged tests are are not totally truthful either.
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

but rigged tests are are not totally truthful either
    rigged my @$$! I'm willing to bet most people are more at risk of doing this than know every detail of how to do it. I watched employees at a store nearby demonstrating this and not one of them ever did a slow immersion, they plopped it right in. And yes, even got to watch them put one bird in that overflowed and started the large fire. Luckily, this one was done in front of the store.

When common sense is required to make something go correctly, you can count on it being screwed up.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones I guess I fall under the heading of someone who actually reads directions. We've fried a couple of dozen birds over the past couple of years with no difficulties. The major problems are using too much oil and not using a fresh dry bird.

In the grand scheme of things it probably is a little too safety intensive for the general public who prefer their dinner in a Styrofoam tray.
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

When giving fire safety talks, my departments discourages against using them. There is some good info if you follow the link. NFPA Facts Sheets make great handouts for the community.

http://www.nfpa.org/search.asp?query=turkey+fryers
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Turkey Fryer Blamed For House Fire
    Garage Blaze Caused $65,000 In Damage

POSTED: 10:32 am MST December 3, 2004
    UPDATED: 10:44 am MST December 3, 2004

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A propane-fueled turkey fryer is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a garage on a house in Colorado Springs.

Firefighters stopped the blaze before it spread to the house. No one was home at the time.

Officials said the fire started when the fryer -- which was filled with peanut oil -- overheated and ignited. The fire caused about $65,000 in damage.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

No one was home and a turkey fryer was left running... Another candidate for the Darwin Awards!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

All this danger from eating turkeys makes me glad to be a vegetarian.

Forum Member

We did one about a month ago on shift, got 2 runs during, but it still turned out ok
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Common sense and reading directions - How many people have propane BBQ's in their houses? So why in the heck would you put a turkey frier in a building??? Granted you will have people just plop a turkey in boiling oil - the sizzling doesnt give any warning signs...hmm Im of ther opinion that if you are putting it in a structure and not following proper preparation and cooking instructions - well thats why we have jobs!
    As for the department store that was showing improper cooking techniques...I hope they have good insurance, cause a lawsuit could cost a lot of $$$

I am cooking one for Christmas - outside, with a fresh turkey. yum!

Forum Member

we were dispatched to a stucture fire and after all was said it was caused by a turkey fryer and the guy hadnt even got as far as putting the turkey in yet......He was putting the thing together in his garage and after he was done putting it together he turned the propane tank on and the propane traveled along the floor to the furnace they had in the corner of the garage.....

Forum Member

Originally posted by jensam433
    Bones I guess I fall under the heading of someone who actually reads directions. We've fried a couple of dozen birds over the past couple of years with no difficulties. The major problems are using too much oil and not using a fresh dry bird.

In the grand scheme of things it probably is a little too safety intensive for the general public who prefer their dinner in a Styrofoam tray.
    What type of a real man reads instructions?
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

firewally1966 - apparently your call has to do with improper assembly - nothing a little soap and water on the connections wouldnt have prevented. Probably a good thing he didnt cook the turkey anyway - sounds like he probably would have done that in the garage too - hence the reason we have jobs!

Thread Information