Thread: What to wear?

Default What to wear?

Please, I need some advice. I got a call last night (Thursday) from a friend. He told me he was talking to one of his friends and was telling him about me. Come to find out this friend is a member of a local department iam trying to get into, and he's interested in meeting me. So i call the guy and we hit it off, he wants to get together for coffee, take me on a tour of his station, and introduce me to his brother "THE CHEIF" and his friend the deputy chief. Monday morning. So what should i wear? Its hot a formal interview but these are people i want to make an impression on. I think a suit would be over the top. So a dress shirt and dress pants, but a tie or no ? Or should i keep it semi casual to show them i can be one of the guys? I don't have much time so please help. I have bought Capt. Bob's CD's And DVD package but something like this is not covered, but than again why would it this stuff doesn't happen often.
    Thank you in advance
    Randell

Forum Member

The strongest non-verbal statement you can make is what you wear to any interview, especially the "Informal" (chiefís) interview like the one youíre going to on Monday. Your usual attire alone can psych you out before you can say anything in the interview.

Are simply slacks and a collared shirt OK? Not really. Does that mean a suit? Are you going to meet the chief? You donít get a 2nd chance to make that important first impression. You always want to be a notch above where you think you should be. Be professional and look professional. If you show up in front of the chief in a suit, he will know you are serious about gaining a badge with his department.

If you arenít comfortable wearing a suit consider wearing casual attire with a sports coat and tie. If it is indeed casual, remove the sports coat.

More on attire here http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...nId=8&id=30325

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Rabble rouser

I have to ask, and this isn't to begin another one of "those" threads.

Is this the local VFD, or paid department, that you are trying to get into? I assume from your message that you are already in the process with this department also.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

thanks for the advice. I am a volunteer and this is a career department. I am not currently in the process, iam actually waiting for thier next recruitment. This meeting will definetly be informal. It will be starting at a coffee shop and going from there. The guy is going to walk me through the station and introduce me.

Thread Information