Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber DFCFFEMT14's Avatar

Default Re: Another great school in New England...

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    ...is right up the road in South Portland, Maine. It used to be called Southern Maine Tech when I went there but I think has since changed it's name. (Southern Maine Community College or somethin) Fantastic Fire Science associates degree program. They also do the live-in program with South Portland FD.
    SMCC does offer a Associates of Applied Science in Fire Science Technology with the option of transferring credits to a bachelor's program in Administration to both the University of Southern Maine and University of Maine at Augusta. I have also been told that University of New Haven will transfer the degree and put it towards theirs. They offer associates, bachelors, and masters. SMCC also offers degrees in paramedicine and criminal justice.

South Portland no longer has a live-in program, however Gorham, Windham, Standish, Scarborough, Saco, and Alfred do. I have been in Gorham for the past year and a half and i wouldnt trade it for anything. The live-in program is also run in conjunction with the fire science program, so applications are made to the fire science advisor and interviews are done by all departments at once. Applicants are then picked in a draft type selection. At least in Gorham you can still participate in the program even if you are not taking the fire science program so long as you are a full-time student.

If anyone has any questions about the school or the live-in programs feel free to ask and i'll answer as best as possible.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

former FH.com member

Thumbs up Thanks for the update DFC.

It's been awhile since I was up that way. -46

Forum Member

One of the best programs in Illinois is College of Dupage. And its very affordable. I will be attending Fall of 2005. I have been told that Illinois over all is one of the best states to be in for Fire Service and Police Service careers for college educations.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber DFCFFEMT14's Avatar

Exclamation School in Maine

Oh, just a side note the website for Southern Maine Community College is WWW.SMCCME.EDU Can't hurt to check it out!!
    Last edited by DFCFFEMT14; 12-29-2004 at 10:36 PM.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

MembersZone Subscriber

Default School

If you are looking for a Great School Cheap and as one of the best programs you can take for Fire related stuff. You need to look at Eastern Kentucky University. I am a former member of a Fire dept in Maine. I looked at Southern Maine Tech, but realized I would have to go else where for the 4 yrs. I thought of Hartford and Providence College, but they were too high. EKU offered a better program with more options and at a better price. I would say that 80% of the degree is from out of state. You can get a 2 or 4 year degree in Fire and Safety Engineering Technology. Then you choose an option which is like a special. I have Fire Protection Admin, but you can also choose Arson and Explosion Investigation, Industrial Safet, Occu Safety and others. They also have a 2 or 4 yrs Paramedic Science program. The City of Richmond will take you as a coop after your first year(schools rule). They have a great relationship with the school and are starting to offer more to the Co-ops. We have grads in FDNY, Chicago, and several others. Not to include our large number in the safety field like myself. Or at least untill a fire job opens up. You also get an chance to get you CFEI, CFII and CFVI at a very cheap price. The Association of Fire Science Technicains attend tranings around the country like FDIC Indy.

If you like visit the school at: www.fireandsafety.eku.edu or feel free to email me and I will answer any questions. I know it sound sstrange, but I too was going to stay in New England. But I have be happy and glad with my move.
    Thanks
    DM

Default Fire Science At NHCTC-Laconia

I am a 1st year student attending NHCTC-Laconia. For all you Explorers/Jr FF's out their that plan on attending a FS school in New England this is the place to be. Yea i sound like it's the best but it really is something good. I am not a member of one of the surrounding Fire Department live in Progrmas, but I am a Firefighter now w Sanbornton NH Fire Rescue which is about 20 mins from the college. I do know alot of students who are members with the various live in programs, i have been inside their stations and seen their trucks. In my opinion i think one of the best if not the best one is Alton. The students are assigned to the West Alton Sta and are for the most part by them self. It's not like they get to goof off though. The other programs in the area like Laconia and Gilmanton are also excellent, but Gilmanton you are at the station w all the officers and chief most of the time as you live upstairs, and Laconia you don't even ride out of thr station you live in( your shift is at Central). Another plus about Alton is that they are able to run calls with their Engine out of that station "Engine 5" while the others have to usually wait for driver's/officers. If anyone wants more info, I can help you out the best i can, let me know via e-mail at SFD19-142@comcast.net and i can call my friends and see about getting your questions answered

Bernie Kennedy
    Firefighter- Sanbornton NH Fire Rescue
    Explorer- Derry NH Fire Department
    Firefighter- Sanbornton NH Fire-Rescue
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever
    In Memory- FF Gerard P. Dewan-9/11/01

Default Fire Science Schools

Also just thought I would point out that as far as Fire Science schools go NHCTC-Laconia is prety much a resonable price and won't keep you paying off your bill's until you die!. Yes if you want you can go to a school such as UNH-New Haven CT for the same program or somewhere else in the US, but for ex at new haven you'll proably be paying somewhere along 20-30,000 a year just for those who were wondering. Their are pro's/con's to both and i applied to both myself. Another added plus about Laconia is that for those that don't have Firefighter-1 certification, as part as your FS major you take a simmester class at the NH Fire Academy, and if im correct NH State Level 1 also is accepted in Vermont as well?

Bernie Kennedy
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever

Default Re: Re: Another great school in New England...

Originally posted by DFCFFEMT14

SMCC does offer a Associates of Applied Science in Fire Science Technology with the option of transferring credits to a bachelor's program in Administration to both the University of Southern Maine and University of Maine at Augusta. I have also been told that University of New Haven will transfer the degree and put it towards theirs. They offer associates, bachelors, and masters. SMCC also offers degrees in paramedicine and criminal justice.

South Portland no longer has a live-in program, however Gorham, Windham, Standish, Scarborough, Saco, and Alfred do. I have been in Gorham for the past year and a half and i wouldnt trade it for anything. The live-in program is also run in conjunction with the fire science program, so applications are made to the fire science advisor and interviews are done by all departments at once. Applicants are then picked in a draft type selection. At least in Gorham you can still participate in the program even if you are not taking the fire science program so long as you are a full-time student.

If anyone has any questions about the school or the live-in programs feel free to ask and i'll answer as best as possible.
    I know one of the students of that program that's doing an internship with Standish. He was a LT at an academy I went to over the summer.

and if im correct NH State Level 1 also is accepted in Vermont as well?

Vermont is getting harder and harder to get reciprocity. I ran into trouble getting my NREMT FR certification accepted, even when I had completed the things VT had wanted me to do. Comparing EMS Certs to Fire certs is comparing apples and orangs kind of, but they will make you jump through MANY hoops now.

Default Fire Science

It basically comes down to what you what for college and if Fire Science is what you want. Their are some great schools out their w FS as 2 year programs as well as 4 year programs. You basically just need to find out what you want in your life, and how you are going to get to your goal

Bernie Kennedy
    Firefighter-Sanbornton NH Fire Rescue
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever

Default Fire Science Schools

Originally posted by N8sfd333
    gilmanton doesnt charge anything to live there

Actually Gilmanton charges about 900.000 a simester to live their. Plus i think if i remember correctly you have to pay a 850.00o r something along those lines Security Fee so if you break something or along them lines. I have the guidelnes for the Gilmanton and Alton programs back up at my place up at school, i'll check them out. And just a FYI for you all who are wondering about Live-in-programs. These all are competitive programs, I interviewed for most of them and did not get in for whatever reason's. Most kids who i know who are in the programs have at least a Firefighter 1 cert or/and EMT Basic plus alot of them live a considerable distance from Laconia, alot of them from Vermont and Northern NH. That is a requirement that you must meet by your senior year that you have FF-1 and EMT-B. Even though I am not in a live in program i am still involved w a Fire Department which is a good thing to have to gain more experience and it is also good while you are studying at the tech.

Bernie Kennedy
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking More then

But Something you might want to look into for school. Is do you just want a Fire Science degree. Thats something I had to look into when I was planning back in 1997. UNH and Providence, EKU and others offer not just your basic Fire Science program. You get Fire Science Investigation, Admin, Legal and much more then you would at others. Not saying others are bad. It all depends on what you are looking for in the future and how you want to go about it.
    Thanks
    DM

For me to get all three degree programs offered at NHCTC-Laconia. I only have to take an additional 4 classes and i could end up with AS degree's in Fire Science, Investigation and Protection
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever

Originally posted by IrishGrl329
    They only do associate's degrees. But if you take the right clases, after your fire science degree, you only have to take like 3 classes to get your fire investigation degree.

The live-in programs are great. They all have their ups and downs.

Laconia- great program, i think you only go on calls when you're on shift- but they're really busy
    Gilmanton- good program too, but its like 900 bucks a semester
    Alton- I think its the best one, gotta wear your uniforms to school everyday...which isnt really a problem
    Chichester - its ok, but its like 25 min away and its a voley dept and its kinda boring...but you get to drive trucks and everthing
    Allenstown - new program this year...theres 2 guys there now (dont know too much about it)

But I would apply to each dept, cause you dont know if you'll get accepted to what ones.

Laconia- You live in Lakeport Fire Sta- Assigned to a shift out of Central to ride with
    Gilmanton- Live at Iron Works Sta in appartment upstairs-Run calls out of that station- $900.00 a simester plus your $ 900 for your security fee
    Alton- Live at West Alton Fire Sta-Run calls out of your sta with your fellow students on Engine 5. You pay a 1 time depost a year i think it is
    Chichester- While most of the live in programs are in Lakes Reg, they aren't their near Concord- dispatched on 154.355 aka- "Capital Area". Don't know anything about them
    Allenstown- Also near Concord- dispatched by capital area. I know one of the students we call him "Hurricane". I believe the too students their are seniors this year.

I do agree with IrishGrl329 though.. the live in programs have their up's in downs. They all follow strict rules, some more than others, and most of the time you are either at the station on duty or training if not in class. As i said in previous posts, if you can get any experience w FD's for those attending NHCTC it's good to have
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever

Forum Member

Default Re: Fire Science At NHCTC-Laconia

Originally posted by DFDExplorer
    The other programs in the area like Laconia and Gilmanton are also excellent, but Gilmanton you are at the station w all the officers and chief most of the time as you live upstairs, and Laconia you don't even ride out of thr station you live in( your shift is at Central).
    Bernie Kennedy
    Firefighter- Sanbornton NH Fire Rescue
    Of course you don't ride out of the Laconia Lakeport station. It has been closed for years (only used as a dorm for NHTCL students) and the only thing there besides two broken down trucks headed for auction and an occasional spare boat is the Hazmat trailer and last time I checked it didn't go very well with out a tow vehicle. The students are also call firefighters so they do more then "just ride with their shifts". I would urge anyone looking to participate to contact the departments and find out the facts from the person running the programs and not really on hear say or what is posted on this board no matter how good intentioned the poster may be. If anyone is interested in the Laconia FD program contact one of the two active Laconia Fire Stations and someone will guide you in the right direction.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Default Re: Re: Fire Science At NHCTC-Laconia

Originally posted by FiRsqDvr45

Of course you don't ride out of the Laconia Lakeport station. It has been closed for years (only used as a dorm for NHTCL students) and the only thing there besides two broken down trucks headed for auction and an occasional spare boat is the Hazmat trailer and last time I checked it didn't go very well with out a tow vehicle. The students are also call firefighters so they do more then "just ride with their shifts". I would urge anyone looking to participate to contact the departments and find out the facts from the person running the programs and not really on hear say or what is posted on this board no matter how good intentioned the poster may be. If anyone is interested in the Laconia FD program contact one of the two active Laconia Fire Stations and someone will guide you in the right direction.

Jay, Im not downing the live in programs, they are great programs to get into. I applyed for most of them including Laconia, but never recieved a call back from LFD.I found out quickly that they are difficult things to get accepted into. I think it's safe in saying that geting involved with a Fire dept, either w a live in program or a call FF is a good idea
    Incident Page Net (IPN)
    Dispatcher NHA037
    FDNY 9-11-01 343 Forever

Actually mr DERRY fire explorer who seems to be writing a book it costs $880 a semester to be in gilmanton and you dont have to pay any coverage fees or anything.

BTW instead of posing as an explorer why dont you be one and start going to your meetings.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Thread Information