Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Fire Science School

For all of you new englanders looking for somewheres cheap...try New Hampshire Technical College of Laconia (NH). They're rated 2nd in the nation for fire science schools. (Known fact). Many graduates have gotten jobs all over the country (LA, Boston, Denver, Charlotte, Chicago, NYC, and lots more). It's a 2 year program (associate's degree) and it's only a little under $4000 a year.
    ~Leather Forever~
    ~Real women fight fires, the others just stand around, get in the way and don't do crap.~

woohoo! i just got accepted there last week!
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

Thumbs up And a bonus...

And up to 4 lucky students in the FS programs at NHTCL get to live in a Laconia Fire House gaining valuable firefighting, EMS and "firehouse lifestyle" experience!THe four we have now are awesome but 3 are seniors and will be moving along next year. Anyone interested contact the city personnel office to request a call firefighter/ live in student application.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Yup.

I plan on getting into Laconia or Keene.

Actually Keene does not do the live-in program. the following towns participate.

-Lakeport Firehouse (Laconia)
    -Gilmanton
    -Alton
    -Chichester
    -Allenstown
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

I wasn't looking for a live in program with Keene, but actually thinking of going there schooling.

Do they do associates or bachelors?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

They only do associate's degrees. But if you take the right clases, after your fire science degree, you only have to take like 3 classes to get your fire investigation degree.

The live-in programs are great. They all have their ups and downs.

Laconia- great program, i think you only go on calls when you're on shift- but they're really busy
    Gilmanton- good program too, but its like 900 bucks a semester
    Alton- I think its the best one, gotta wear your uniforms to school everyday...which isnt really a problem
    Chichester - its ok, but its like 25 min away and its a voley dept and its kinda boring...but you get to drive trucks and everthing
    Allenstown - new program this year...theres 2 guys there now (dont know too much about it)

But I would apply to each dept, cause you dont know if you'll get accepted to what ones.
    ~Leather Forever~
    ~Real women fight fires, the others just stand around, get in the way and don't do crap.~

Forum Member

Wink Ahem...

I know little of the other programs but I can tell you this:
    If I were looking to find out what it is really like working on a fulltime fire department on a shift level gaining ride time,getting hands on firefighting and EMS experience,lots of training and some extra dough by also being a call company member I would seriously hope I got a slot in the Laconia live in program.

I wish I had done this program when I got out of high school!

gilmanton doesnt charge anything to live there
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

If you don't mind a cathlioc college and spending 28,000 dollars a year anna maria college in paxton MA is one out of four colleges who offers a maseter's program.

visit the web site

www.annamaria.edu
    FF. EMT-B M. Hesek
    Northborough Fire Dept
    Northborough MA

NEVER FORGET DECEMBER 3rd '99

Default keene

I'm currently a freshman Safety Studies major at keene state college, i was accepted to both Anna Maria and Laconia didn't choose Anna Maria because it was too small for me and I didn't choose Laconia because I needed to get away from my parent's. Keene State's safety program mixes alot of different aspects of safety including OSHA, Fire Science, Accident Investigation, Industrial Safety and Hygene, Haz mat, Risk Management and some other stuff. Alot of firefighters for the city of Keene are also professors and lecturers here at the school.
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    I shed blood for my ruggers.
    <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
    www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

former FH.com member

Thumbs up Another great school in New England...

...is right up the road in South Portland, Maine. It used to be called Southern Maine Tech when I went there but I think has since changed it's name. (Southern Maine Community College or somethin) Fantastic Fire Science associates degree program. They also do the live-in program with South Portland FD.

If you live in the Midwest, Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, KS has an excellent program, though I'm not sure of where it ranks nationally. I do know that out of the 4 or 5 fire schools in Kansas, Hutchinson has the best. Many KS departments wait until we have a class graduate before they hire anyone. There are also a few volunteer departments in the area that would put you on the line after you take firefighter I. I'm currently finishing up my first semester there.

Originally posted by smatt2003
    If you don't mind a cathlioc college and spending 28,000 dollars a year anna maria college in paxton MA is one out of four colleges who offers a maseter's program.

visit the web site

www.annamaria.edu
    Four colleges? There has to be more than just four colleges that have Masters programs.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Laconia is ranked #2 in fire science schools in the nation. (Known fact)
    ~Leather Forever~

MembersZone Subscriber

Interested in rankings. Where do I find a listing, just interested in who else made this list. I also recommend checking out this thread on Eastern Kentucky University and Oklahoma State University.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=64178

I'd also like to see these ratings....I've heard from many members in my area who dont regard Laconia as being anything special. It may be the number 2 fire school in the northeast. Don't get me wrong...Its a great school for those looking to stay in the area, but I doubt that a 2 year voc school would be 2nd in the nation when there are many 4+year schools out there
    FTM-PTB

"JOLLY ROGERS"
    FDNY E255 L157
    York, ME Fight'n Four :P

"Ridin with pride" 1971 American LaFrance, former Hartford CT ENGINE 15
    "Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on"

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I believe that if you dig the stats up the #2 in the nation means out of all of the other similar (2yr) programs in the nation, not the 4 year ones. That would be comparing apples to oranges.

I know a few people that go to Laconia for fire science and my brother is a 2003 graduate of the program. My boyfriend goes to Laconia for fire science and is staying with a LT. from Laconia Fire Dept.
    As far as college is concerned, its better to pick a school that your happy with.
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    I shed blood for my ruggers.
    <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
    www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

Thread Information