Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Default Lucky to be alive...

Rocky View Fire/Rescue and Redwood Meadows Emergency Services responded to Highway 1 west of Calgary today for a reported vehicle rollover. Crews arrived to find an SUV on its wheels, having rolled multiple times. The patient was found unconscious a distance from the vehicle. Medics from Cochrane Fire-EMS attended and called for STARS Air Ambulance to be launched. As the pictures in the links below attest, the patient was very lucky to escape with his life..

Note the roofline vs. the steering wheel (which was also pushed down to the seat)

Every corner of the vehicle appears to have made contact with the ground at some point

The front appears much more heavily damaged than the rear, though.

The truck also took out a roadside sign on the way into the ditch.

Notice the body's A-pillar position vs. the door's A-pillar.

Reports are that the strong winds today played a significant role in the crash.
    --jay.

MembersZone Subscriber dburnemti's Avatar

Any update as to pt condition? One of those one's you go to expecting to call ME instead of STARS.
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)
    Effort only fully releases it's reward on someone who refuses to quit!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Wow ... that first picture really tells the story, doesn't it. Hope the driver is doing ok now.

That stretch of highway can get a tad windy, but I never dreamed it could possibly cause a rollover (mind you, I'm not a driver though).

Sure looks like a nice day! I miss that beautiful Alberta blue sky
    I hope it is like that when I come home for Christmas, going to be taking the bus from Calgary to Jasper on the 22nd.

Stay safe you guys!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Want to see some bad ones? Check out this site...

www.wreckedexotics.com

Nothing gory, no patient pics, just after-the-wreck pics. Check out the "Bad Wrecks" link for the worst ones. There's also Funny/Unusual, Police Cars, Big Trucks, etc. Some of the pics are pretty unreal.... Some may also prove useful for your next extrication class.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Originally posted by dburnemti
    Any update as to pt condition? One of those one's you go to expecting to call ME instead of STARS.
    Would you believe that I heard he was discharged from the hospital before suppertime?

I didn't get to do any patient care, so I don't know what he looked like before he went into the aircraft.

I'm no crash analyst, but from the debris and skid marks at the scene, it looked to me like the vehicle went off the inside shoulder, and the driver did a classic overcorrecting maneuver, and barrel-rolled into the outside ditch.

As for wreckedexotics, yeah, I check that site out often. Check out the last (oldest) page of the Police cars for a Calgary Police Service unit tangling with a C-train.
    --jay.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Originally posted by Jay911

Would you believe that I heard he was discharged from the hospital before suppertime?

As for wreckedexotics, yeah, I check that site out often. Check out the last (oldest) page of the Police cars for a Calgary Police Service unit tangling with a C-train.
    Transported by STARS but out of the hospital by suppertime? WOW!

When was that C-train crash, Jay? Not far for #1 to get there, hey?! hehehe

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary

Transported by STARS but out of the hospital by suppertime? WOW!
    I think he was transported by air mainly because of mechanism of injury. Generally, ejection from a highway-speed rollover is perfect criteria for calling for the bird.

When was that C-train crash, Jay? Not far for #1 to get there, hey?! hehehe
    I don't know, the picture looks like early '90s to me. I only caught it on wreckedexotics.

There were a couple of exciting moments in the past couple of nights in #1's district too... Night before last, a scaffolding 5 stories high against a building under construction in the 1200 blk of Center St N went over in the wind... took out some power poles and came to rest on a bank. No injuries but a lot of power cuts and when I left work last night it was still being cleaned up.

Also when I left work last night, #1 was going to a crash in the 1200 blk of Macleod Tr ... (something about the 1200 blocks maybe?) ... as I heard it on the scanner, a car or three crashed there and decided to make a late night entry into the Arby's restaurant there. Ultimately the heavy rescue support rig was sent in to do some shoring up.
    --jay.

Yesterday I was reading City Beat and saw the report about the drunk driver that crashed into the bar by the drugstore at 28th Ave and 14 St SW. I used to work in the upstairs of that building and would go to the bar to pick up lunch all the time. Trying to picture how the heck he managed to drive into the building and injure that many people! I'm thinking it must have been the east wall and he was coming off 14 St and hit the gas instead of the brake?

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information