Thread: Officers

Forum Member

Default Officers

I would like to have everyones input on this. We are getting ready to have our elections come Sunday. I was wondering how everyone else did this. do you elect your officers, how long do they stay in officer, is ther qualifications for them? Like I said I would just like some input from everyone else.

Arthur

MembersZone Subscriber

Well our Administrative Officers(President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary etc) are all elected for a 1 year term and all of our Fire Officers(Chief, Chief Engineer, Fire Police Capt)are elected for a 2 year term. Chief can appoint up to 4 assistants(Deputy, Asst., Capt., Lt)Chief Engineer can appoint up to 3 assistants and Fire Police Capt can appoint up to 2 assistants.

All of our positions have a job description so each person knows what is expected of them. All Fire Officer positions also have qualification requirements.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

Elected annually:

Chief
    1st Asst Chief
    Fire Marshal
    Fire Inspector
    Training Officer
    Safety Officer
    Medical Officer
    Treasurer
    Secretary

Appointed Annually:

2nd Asst Chief (by Chief)
    Fire Marshal (By Fire Marshal)
    Fire Inspector (by Fire Inspector)
    Training Officer (by Training Officer)
    Safety Officer (by Safety Officer)
    Medical Officer (by Medical Officer)

We are also considering adding a new appointed office:
    Compliance Officer (by Chief)

How we go about it:

Two months prior to elections, nominations verbally submitted at monthly business meeting.
    One month prior to elections, any additional nominations submitted at monthly business meeting.
    Election month, elections between nominees who accepted their respective nominations held by private ballot at monthly business meeting. Majority winner for any position wins.

One thing I wish we would change....

Currently if there are more than two people running for any office, the majority winner after one election is in. I feel that the top two vote getters for any office should participate in a run-off.

Example, in a four-way election for Chief in our current system, Candidate Bob would win if:
    Candidate Bob got 13 votes
    Candidate Don got 11 votes
    Candidate Roy got 9 votes
    Candidate Tim got 7 votes

BUT, if we re-ran the election with just Bob and Don as the first-round winners (the primary, if you will), there are 16 voters that previously chose Roy or Tim that will now have to choose between Bob and Don. What if they mostly like Don? New results:
    Candidate Don gets 21 votes
    Candidate Bob gets 19 votes
    Don is the new winner.

I'm too new to this department to open this can of worms during a meeting just yet. Still, this is better than my previous department's arrangement, where every member submitted written nominations by private ballot, the nominess were then written on the board so that nominess could opt out if desired, and the vote was then immediately held. Problem was, nominees never opted out, so the final balloting was always identical to the nomination balloting, why bother doing it twice? Everyone voted for the person they nominated. Not to mention the problem I detailed above with non-majority winners above was also an issue. I found this system VERY frustrating!!
    Last edited by RLFD14; 12-04-2004 at 08:50 AM.

Forum Member

My first dept had elections. Each company elected a capt, lt, 2 wardens (sat on the dept council), and a few adminstrative positions. I think the wardens were 2 year positions (elect 1 each year), and the others were 1 year. However, there were usually unofficial agreements that led to occasional unopposed elections so that the capt and lt could hold their positions for 2 or 3 years. Members nominated people for positions at company meetings, with elections a month or two later at another meeting. The dept had qualifications including training classes, positions held, and length of service for capt and lt.
    The dept as a whole elected a 2nd Asst. Chief, 1st Asst. Chief, and Chief to 1 year terms (I can't remember which, if any, of the administrative positions were elected). Normally 2, sometimes 3 people ran for 2 Asst. To run, you had to be an ex-capt, meet some qualifications, and be nominated by your company. Normally, the outgoing 2nd Asst ran unopposed for 1st Asst, and so on.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Our bylaws are set up so we vote for our board members every year and the Chief is in office until he/she leaves or is forced out. The officer positions are appointed by the Chief.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Our only elected positions are the Chief and the Department Secretary (which is an additional duty on top of a member's normal duties...one of our Captains currently serves as Secretary).

Officers (BCs and two grades of Captain) and Engineers are assigned by the Chief. There are a number of requirements for each position, and we're currently revamping those to be even more specific.

Probationary Members are voted on by the general memebership when they complete their Trainee period, but that's a one time vote and not really an election per se.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

The Department Chief is appointed by the Mayor of the City. The three companys each elect/select their own line officers.

In our Hose Company, we elect the Captain and he appoints the 1st and 2nd Lts. All other company officers are elected.

-bob-

Forum Member

Our Chief, 1st Assistant Chief, and 2nd Assistant Chief are elected BY THE PUBLIC every 2 years, just like any other elected public official.

Our Captains and Lieutenants are appointed by the Chief, after interviews by a panel made up of all three Chief officers and a Firefighter selected by the membership.
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

Forum Member

Our canidates for officers postions must meet certain requirements first, such as Engineers/Drivers, which are sgt.'s must be 20 yo, have at least 2 years experience,150 hours of training as certified by the state of KY, pass a written exam and pass a driving course. Lt.'s and Capt.'s, must be at least 18 have 3yrs experience, 200 hours of training as certified by the state, and pass a written exam. Then they are promoted by those standards. District (Asst) Chief's are voted on by the memembers, but they have to meet certain standards such as the line officers, canidates are chose from the most senior captains at that station. The Chief must have previously been a chief officer, and is usually voted by the members from the 2 district chiefs or anyone else on the department who has been a chief officer, which currently if we had to vote for a new chief there would only be 3 canidates, the 2 district chief's and a capt who was chief years ago. Then whoever is voted in the chiefs position by the members must be approved by the city council. Also each new council has to approve the cheif also. We have no terms that officers serve and it has worked out great for us over the past 25 yrs. I am lery of using a voting system to select your officers anyway. Especially having a chief for just a year. How could he get anything going for the department it set things in place that could be changed the following year. I just dont see a change in leadership every year as a good thing for a fire dept.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Our Chief is voted in by the members present at the annual meeting...The other officers are chosen by the Chief
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Our board members are elected for 3 years terms. Chief and all officers are appointed by board. They stay on untill they resign or relieved of their position (which rarely happens). My question is with a new chief and officers every year how is there any continuity in command and/or the way things operate?

Our bylaws are being revised at the moment, but as it stands:

Chief is elected and serves a 5 year term of office.

Business (or executive) board (7 members) is elected and serves a 1 year term.

Assistant Chief and other fire officers are appointed by, and serve at the discretion of the Chief.

All Fire officers are required to be Florida State certified at minimum of 160 hr FF1. All driver/engineers are also required to have EVOC, and have licensure per state law.

Steve

Forum Member

We elect all officers except for the training officer and safety officer, which are appointed by the chief. Everyone serves 2 year terms.

We elect a Chief, Asst. Chief, Captain, Lieutenant, Secretay, Treasurer, Party Committee Chairperson, Finance Committee Chairperson, Fire Locator Committe Chairperson, and a Building and Grounds Committee Chairperson.

On election years, we have the first round of nominations in May, a second round and voting (by secret ballot) takes place in June, and officers take office on July 1.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 12-11-2004 at 11:24 PM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

I'm with jdboy88 "with a new chief and officers every year how is there any continuity in command and/or the way things operate?" Even with these 2 year terms, that still isnt enough time to gain the respect of your men and guide them in the right direction. I guess different things work for different places. Does anyone have any imput on how well their department functions with a change in leadership every year or so?
    Last edited by FF41230; 12-13-2004 at 10:05 AM.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

We have 1 year terms. But in over 100 years, it has been more of a "promotional" approach. Officers work their way up the line, 2nd to 1st, to Captain, to Deputy Chief, to Asst. Chief, to Chief. Very, very rarely, does someone "break" into the chain. The few times it happened was due to officer moving from the area and once because the guy was simply incompetent. The officers meet often to discuss/review/propose policies. From the brand new 2nd Lt. up to the Chief, everyone gets input. The Chief is in charge at fire scenes, but the "board" (all the officers) makes all policies. There is very little 1 term policy making. To have a position, you have to have served in the position below for at least 1 full year, so by the time you are "the big Chief", you have been in the officers line for 10years.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information