1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004

    Default Looking to take s130/190 training course

    I plan on pursueing a seasonal job as a wildland firefighter. I am planning to apply to a few different agencies, however I am looking to have my s130/190 training finished before I apply. I am not having much luck at the moment finding any courses.

    I am in Albuquerque New Mexico. I would like to be finished with the courses by mid Jan/ 05 so I can apply early enough to the FS and Blm.

    Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    How much does having the training improve my chances for getting hired with no experience in the field?

    Should I apply even if I dont have my training done by the end of Jan?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    RxFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999


    Go ahead and apply. The agencies have no issues in giving you the training. Some may prefer to train you to their ways of thinking rather than having to retrain you once hired. Having the training already may edge you over another applicant, but probably not too much. Don't let the lack of having the courses stop you.
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ramseycl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Next to the big ditch


    Contact your local forest service and BLM offices. They normally have a list of classes that are offered in your area. If you do not get a class before you apply, mention in the resume that you are planning on taking it and when.

  4. #4
    Sr. Information Officer
    NJFFSA16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    25 NW of the GW


    From the Southwest Coordinating Group (SWCG) website.

    If you are interested in finding employment as a wildland firefighter, it is best that you contact the Forest, Park, Refuge, etc for the location in which you would like to work. They will know of what positions are available, when they will become available, and/or whether new hires will be made for a particular season.

    For information on employment as a state wildland firefighter, contact the State Employment Office or State Forestry Office.
    I suggest you call the Arizona Fire Management Division with your questions. Ask them about upcoming S130/190 classes.

    Phone 602.255.4059
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

    *Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004


    Contact your local US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Indian affairs, National Park Service, US Fish & Wildlife and / or what ever state or county agencies you have that deal with wildland fire. Many work with local colleges or high schools to provide ROP (Regional Occupational Program?) which is another way you might get S130/190, another benefit to this type program is they often look to the students for recruits and they have had a chance to see you work. Also some Fed agencies hire under a cooperative student program which may give you another shot at a job.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register