Forum Member

Default Question in regards to Voluntary Rescue Service Recognition

Hey guys,

First of the year is rolling around, and the department is working on both short and long-term goals for not only this year, but the next five.

One thing I would like to see our department work toward is attaining recognition from the state as a 'Voluntary Rescue Services Organization' of the advaned level. I think this would give the guys a tangible goal and, when accomplished, something to be very proud of. I've checked the requirements: we meet/exceed the vast majority of them.

Now I need to find some tangible benefit, other than a pride/comraderie issue, that I can present to the chief and other senior officers as to why we should do this.

Is there any benefit in regards to insurance costs for the populace? Does it make getting grants easier?

Can anyone answer these questions?

We're in Pennslyvania, by the way, but I think it'd be pretty uniform nation wide?
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Also in Pennsylvania; and it is a great way to use up every single inch of your rescue. Make sure you have enough room on one truck before you jump into it; and before you buy all kinds of extras. We have more than the required load of gear, yet did not apply for any type of certifications. Perhaps it had to be something the entire department wants to get into; because you will need a full crew to use all that equipment; at all times. So many people will have to specialize in different types of rescue.

I don't know if it effects ISO, it probably does in some way. Do you run a rescue combo? Like an engine or QRS included in the same truck; i.e. pumper-rescue.

Do any other companies in your area have heavy rescues?

I guess we would make a difference to the area since we have the only heavy rescue in the county. Otherwise we'd have to wait, well, a long time for other assistance. If you are the lone rescue provider, then that will have an effect. Probably be a nudge into some grants for new equipment or upgrades.
    Last edited by blueeighty88; 12-06-2004 at 12:26 AM.

Forum Member

We run two rescues: one big walk-in and a smaller one.

On the big box truck we have ALL of the equipment needed in appropriate amounts(and exceed most) for the advanced listing, minus the 8' pike poles, surgical gowns, and some of the rope equipment(we're a bit short on our carabiner #s).

We definately have the room. My concern is getting the guys hyped up about it. We have all of the trained personnel, though since we're a combo department(with only daytime paid staff) we rely on all volunteers at night(that may change) to staff our units. I'm curious as to whether or not we can meet the # of the combination trained personnel 100% of the time.

I also read on the PDF that the Deparment of Health has out that things can be carried on more than one truck if they are dispatched simultaneously. Anything we get that involves technical rescue gets a 1/1 response in regards to engines/rescues.

To answer your question, no we'd not be the only heavy rescue. THere's another, but they're about 20 minutes away. I went and looked at their rescue today: We actually are better equipped than they are, but because they have paid staff 24/7 they definately meet the personnel requirements.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Thread Information