Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation **EXPOSED** CT Firefighter's are told not to respond to emergencies due to politics

The Director of Fire and Rescue Services for the Town of Farmington, CT has decided to eliminate a cost-free fire service provided by the University of Connecticut's Health Center Fire Department. Despite their prompt responses to emergencies including: structural fires, mva's and haz-mat incidents, they have been told that they are no longer to respond to such emergencies (leaving the citizens in their response district at the mercy of a delayed response from nearby volunteer companies). To clarify, Farmington Fire Chief Donald Antigiovani was AGAINST these actions while the Chief's from both East Farmington and Tunxis Hose Fire Dept. were both for reducing the response from UConn, hence reducing manpower and increasing response times to emergencies. This is nothing more than politics taking precedence over PUBLIC SAFETY... the reason the fire service was created. A message to the other chiefs... if you or any of your wannabee "Brother's" would like to argue this feel free.
    Last edited by FF4PublicSafety; 12-06-2004 at 11:01 AM.

This should get very interesting....

Any links?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Lightbulb There are two sides....

http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/fv/h...,7175685.story

Firefighters Dispute Resolved
    December 2, 2004
    By DAVID OWENS, Courant Staff Writer

FARMINGTON -- A dispute that caused members of the town's volunteer fire departments to pack a council meeting two months ago appears to have been settled, although two town council members expressed their dissatisfaction with the compromise.

The issue was the continued response of firefighters from the University of Connecticut Health Center as first responders to all calls in some sections of town.

The council chose to authorize a revised response policy that limits UConn Health Center firefighters' response to non-emergency calls, such as car fires where no one is trapped, brush fires and cellar pump-outs. The policy goes into effect today.

Mary-Ellen Harper, the town fire and rescue administrator, sought the change as a first step in altering how the town's largely volunteer department responds to calls. Sending too many trucks to calls is wasteful and potentially dangerous.

She cited national statistics that indicate more firefighters die in vehicle accidents en route to and from fires than from fighting fires.

Limiting the types of calls that UConn Health Center firefighters respond to will remove one truck that is often not needed, Harper contends.

And it's not responsible to tie up the health center's highly trained firefighters on nonemergency calls when their advanced skills could be needed elsewhere, she said.

Town Manager Kathleen A. Eagen stressed that health center firefighters will continue to respond automatically to actual emergencies, such as building fires, in the Oakland Gardens and East Farms neighborhoods. And they will continue to be first responders to all calls in the Oakland Gardens neighborhood because they are the closest department.

The health center firefighters will also respond to any call anywhere in town if requested, Harper added.

The move to better match firefighter response to actual need is part of a national trend, Eagen and Harper said.

The traditional practice of responding with numerous trucks and dozens of firefighters to even the most routine call, then sending back those who are not needed, is no longer considered a reasonable response, Harper said.

When there is a genuine emergency that requires a heavy response, then all hands will be called, she said.

Another part of the new policy specifies that health center firefighters will respond to all sections of Farmington for complicated rescues and incidents.

Health center firefighters' primary responsibility is the health center, although they also provide paramedic service to Farmington and Avon. The paramedic service is a separate service the towns pay for. The fire response is considered mutual aid to the town department and the town does not pay for it.

Council members William A. Wadsworth and Robin K. Fuhrman said they do not like the new policy.

"I do think there's a degradation of service here in terms of response time," Wadsworth said. "I don't think we're utilizing an asset that's available to us to its fullest."

Harper and Eagen disagreed, saying UConn's response to true emergencies has not been reduced in any way.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

The Director of Fire and Rescue Services for the Town of Farmington, CT has decided to eliminate a cost-free fire service provided by the University of Connecticut's Health Center Fire Department. Despite their prompt responses to emergencies including: structural fires, mva's and haz-mat incidents, they have been told that they are no longer to respond to such emergencies
    . . . sounds a LOT different than . . .
    Town Manager Kathleen A. Eagen stressed that health center firefighters will continue to respond automatically to actual emergencies, such as building fires, in the Oakland Gardens and East Farms neighborhoods. And they will continue to be first responders to all calls in the Oakland Gardens neighborhood because they are the closest department. The health center firefighters will also respond to any call anywhere in town if requested, Harper added. Another part of the new policy specifies that health center firefighters will respond to all sections of Farmington for complicated rescues and incidents.
    This sounds perfectly reasonable to me. It is both unprofessional and unsafe to "over-respond" to incidents that are very clearly not urgent.

Unless the linked article is based on bad information, I would say get the facts before you go off the edge!

Stay safe!
    Last edited by RLFD14; 12-06-2004 at 11:21 AM.

Lightbulb

Well, notice it was their first posting.....

Forum Member

Well,

we dopn't want the facts to get in the way, do we?

Default Re: **EXPOSED** CT Firefighter's are told not to respond to emergencies due to politics

Originally posted by FF4PublicSafety
    The Director of Fire and Rescue Services for the Town of Farmington, CT - Mary Ellen L. Harper, has decided to eliminate a cost-free fire service provided by the University of Connecticut's Health Center Fire Department. Despite their prompt responses to emergencies including: structural fires, mva's and haz-mat incidents, they have been told that they are no longer to respond to such emergencies (leaving the citizens in their response district at the mercy of a delayed response from nearby volunteer companies). To clarify, Farmington Fire Chief Donald Antigiovani was AGAINST these actions while the Chief's from both East Farmington and Tunxis Hose Fire Dept. were both for reducing the response from UConn, hence reducing manpower and increasing response times to emergencies. This is nothing more than politics taking precedence over PUBLIC SAFETY... the reason the fire service was created. Chief Nelson and Chief Bouchard... if you or any of your wannabee "Brother's" would like to argue this... I'd love to hear it in this forum since you are both cowards hiding behind an incompetent "Director of Fire and Rescue Services"... I look forward to your responses (as will the local media!)

WOW and this is his FIRST post in these wonderful forums! Sounds like he has an axe to grind to me.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default Apology

Yes, this was my first thread... but anyone that is familiar with the Town of Farmington knows the true situation, not the one being portrayed in the Hartford Courant. Why was it not mentioned that during one of the largest haz-mat incidents in the towns recent history (tanker rollover spilling 2,500 gallons of gasoline), that the UConn firefighter/paramedics who are also Haz-mat tech's were not requested.

I apologize for initial message and have respectfully removed any of the names mentioned. I was allowing my emotions to get the best of me as I wrote the posting.

Default Re: Apology

Yes, this was my first thread... but anyone that is familiar with the Town of Farmington knows the true situation, not the one being portrayed in the Hartford Courant. Why was it not mentioned that during one of the largest haz-mat incidents in the towns recent history (tanker rollover spilling 2,500 gallons of gasoline), that the UConn firefighter/paramedics who are also Haz-mat tech's were not requested.

I apologize for initial message and have respectfully removed any of the names mentioned. I was allowing my emotions to get the best of me as I wrote the posting.
    The spill wasl likely not mentioned due to space considerations, papers are still a business that have physical constraints to the job they do sometimes. And why should greater credance be placed on the town rumor-mill then on the areas major Newspaper run by professional journalists with strict ethical guide-lines?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Default Re: Apology

Originally posted by FF4PublicSafety Why was it not mentioned that ... the UConn firefighter/paramedics who are also Haz-mat tech's were not requested.
    Were they not requested or were they instructed to deny a request? If they were not requested, I'd say from my distant recliner quarterback 20/20 hindsight seat that the fault lies with the IC for not making the call. If they were instructed to deny a request or the IC was prohibited from making a request, then I agree there is a problem.
    Originally posted by FF4PublicSafety I apologize for initial message and have respectfully removed any of the names mentioned. I was allowing my emotions to get the best of me as I wrote the posting.
    I made the same changes to the section I quoted from you. Welcome to the board.

Default Stop this now

Yes, I am a Town of Farmington Fire Fighter. Yes, this is my first post here. Yes, regardless of which department (of the three in Farmington) I am from I have always been against this proposal. Yes, I have left my opinion in the closet.

This needs to stop.

I was opposed to the proposal of limiting UCONN's response so certain Farmington Volunteers could get to scenes first, then call UCONN if it was needed. There are a million reasons why this proposal makes no sense, but we all know politics lives everywhere...including the Fire Service. You scratch my back and someday I'll scratch yours.

Now, this issue has been reviewed by the Town Council and it passed. Of course, there is more to the story than anyone is willing to tell. Who wants to tarnish the "clean, always doing what's best for our country and being 'heroes' persona" that firefighters have?

It's over. The proposal has been voted on. Nothing good can come from this thread besides more negativity between the three departments.

End this. It's over. We will have to live with what comes of this resolution.
    Last edited by MTPFarmingtonCT; 12-06-2004 at 12:24 PM.

I can't wait to see the lawsuit that will eventually come about because of a boneheaded decision to allow certain people "people" on scene first.

Sounds like MUTT mentality to me....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Question

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will!), but the article is from THURSDAY DEC. 2nd and wasn't that spill FRIDAY DEC. 3rd? Perhaps it wasn't mentioned because it hadn't happened yet?

And I am probably being impatient to find out, but I want to know if the MA call was never put out by the IC or if the IC was not permitted to make the call. This is a key question.....

Anyone want some cheese to go with all this "whine"?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default The Truth Hurts (the Public)

Yes, I think that we all agree that over responding is unsafe... having four Class-A pumpers responding to a car fire is not only unsafe, but just a bit excessive! If the Hartford Courant article clearly reflected what is actually happening, then I would agree that it sounds reasonable. But, unfortunately Captain Gonzo hit the nail right on the head... certain town department's feel that UConn's Fire response hurts their morale because Uconn firefighter's can usually have a line operating on the fire before the volunteer companies even roll out the door. (This has happened many times and certain officers feel that this is unfair).

Diane, the Courant's article was indeed written prior to the gasoline spill... my point is that the article does not reflect the town's true views of UConn's response. As for the IC... it was suggested by other officers on scene that UConn should respond to the incident and IC stated that he did not want them there. No politics there right?

As for the Farmington Volunteer that feels that this is a negative link... that is not it's purpose. It is to bring to light that politics are indeed compromising public safety. Oh, and when someone dies because of a delayed response and the firefighters from Uconn are sitting idle in quarters, I would like you to stand up before the family members and use your quote, "I'm sorry about your loss, but this is politics... So, end this. It's over. We will have to live with what comes of this resolution."

You are right Bones... it is starting to smell like stale whine in here.

'Nuff said

Default What are you trying to accomplish?

You come here and start this thread, why? What is the intent of this thread? Do you believe this will change anything? Do you believe this is your way of "getting back" at the people who approved a change that you are against?

I have a question for you:

1. Why do you only list one chief name of Farmington? Why don't you list all of them as they were all involved including the town manager and director of fire services.

Please, name all the chiefs and the town manager and the director of fire services.

Why only his name? Trying to cause trouble for him and his department? Making it look like you are from his department? And if so, do you really believe he likes this?

Looks like you're trying to cause trouble, not look for a solution.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sometimes I just can't be content standing on the sidelines.
    From my vantage point some dope just gave up the most precious commodity you have in the fire service....Your Credibility.
    Nice going!
    Bring my brother home and salute him, he earned it! FDNY 343 Never Forgotten

Default Re: The Truth Hurts (the Public)

Diane, the Courant's article was indeed written prior to the gasoline spill... my point is that the article does not reflect the town's true views of UConn's response.
    So you lied to make a point? Interesting.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber HenryChan's Avatar

Thumbs up

Wow, I'm surprised I got this username, guess not many people use their real name

First off, I would like to state that unlike most of the firefighters in my town of Farmington, I am not Italian...I'm Chinese!

Thank you

Second, whatever happened to never doing your dirty laundry in public? Isn't that common knowledge? So, why is this topic on firehouse.com? Has doing dirty laundry in public ever produced a positive outcome? Is this the exception to the rule?

Is maleficence the true nature of this thread?

Henry

Thread Information