Forum Member

Default Feeling the Love....

17:00 hours and it's raining out.

The ladder has been outside all day for hose testing. Three of us run the test (read the Engineer runs the test and two of us low life's pull and reload hose).

All is great and it's time to fuel it up and put it away for the night. The Engineer and I run it out to Fuel it up and return to the station. Out comes the hoses and the cleaning begins. No problem there. Another quick truck check and all thats left is to dry it.

Now, normally there are plenty of folks to pitch in and lend a hand, but for some reason I'm the only one going at it.

Fine.

It's just me and that gorgeous Pierce. 2 hours later the chrome is a sparklin' and there is not a drop shown on the Engineers stainless panel or on the diamond plate anywhere. The windows are perfect.

I take a step back and pat myself on the back. The Shift Lt. will love it.

Lt. walks out on the floor and yell's that the meeting we are all to attend starts in a half hour. I grab my blues and head his way. "Were you been?" he says. "Scrubbing and drying sir, and if I may say so, that Ladder has never looked better".

Blank stare in return. Then a slight grin. "We're taking the Ladder"...

Sh*t...
    Last edited by DFanucci; 12-06-2004 at 10:06 PM.

Forum Member

As a clean car fanatic... I feel your pain!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I hear the Homer Simpson cry of "dohhh" echoing through the truck bay....I feel your pain, been in that situation myself. As a probie I was "volunteered" to do a thorough top-to-bottom-every-nook-and-cranny wash, wax and polish of the engine and tanker in the station. Just got done with the last rig, when the tones drop for a car fire. I look outside and it's snowing....needless to say, the words that came out of my mouth at that point would have put a truck driver to shame (I was the only one at the station at the time...thank God) Speaking of snow, Capt, you must hate this time of year, I know I do...trying to keep the ol' vehicle nice and shiny. Did my winter coat of wax about 3 weeks ago...gotta love calcium chloride and salt...
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

I took advantage of Sunday's 50+ degree weather, took the hose out washed and detailed my wife's Grand Cherokee, washed, buffed and waxed my F-150, did a quick detail of my son's Mustang (safely ensconced in the garage for winter) and even washed his winter rat (a 1985 Maxima with 191K miles).

Every time it snows.. I keep repeating "Spring is just 3 months away"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I dunno how many, if any, parades that your departments attend, but around here EVERYONE has a parade every summer to kick off their fairs, then again for Christmas, and of course if you want a dept. to come to yours, you have to go to theirs. So we do lots of parades. Many host departments judge aparatus, so when you go you have to make sure every is spotless, inside and out. I once spent all night on a truck for a parade the next morning...Capt. decides that the ENGINE rather than the rescue needed to go out for a tree down/traffic control in the rain.

Aother time, 3 of us spent like 6 hours cleaning, organizing and rearranging the engine, and swore that everything was going to stay all neat and in its place. We even painted the axes. Good news was we made it to the parade, won Chief's Choice, and were told by the chief of that particular dept. that if he had to pick an engine to go on a structure with him, it would be ours...a few days later we get a big structure fire that used mutual aid from our whole county and part of another and made CNN...the truck hasn't been the same since. I'm afraid to clean it that good again, lol...we don't want another structure like that one...

I guess cleaning up an engine is a bit less time consuming than a big ladder would be though. So sorry to hear that...I think I woulda found something REALLY heavy and launched it at the guy...you know, like maybe a lightbox.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

I keep repeating "Spring is just 3 months away"
    Don't worry Cap, you can always retire pretty soon anyway.

Just to tub it in, it will be 70+ here in beautiful NC today. Snow? Don't miss it much at all.

But back to the topic at hand, I need to wash/wax the cars soon too, probably next week after final exams. As usual, it will probably rain unmercifully and get schmegma all over the cars, but at least they'll be ready for the perils of winter.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

hehe tonite is my first work drill and im not officlayy a member yet (voting is next tuesday ) so im makin a trip to my local autoparts store and getting my usual. MEguires high endurance for the tires (the purple stuff, def.l the best) turtle wax glass cleaner, simple green, a stainless stell cleaner (either armorall wheel cleaner, or stainless steel magic) and headin to the house tonite, i'll work on the damn truck till 2 am if they let me. lol. just point me to one and say go.

Thread Information