SACRAMENTO, Dec. 3 (UPI) -- A National Geographic film crew in Sacramento
attempting to disprove spontaneous human combustion called 911 after losing
control of a burning pig carcass.
"The pig may or may not have spontaneously ignited, but we made sure he or she
was out," said Assistant Metro Fire Chief Jim Hartley, who responded to the
emergency call Thursday at the state Department of Consumer Affairs lab, the
Sacramento Bee reported.
Pig-carcass burnings are often used to recreate crime scenes, according to
Department of Consumer Affairs spokesman Miles Bristow.
"The physiology, the body fat content, is similar to a human, which is why a
pig is used. Fat can cause an intense fire when you have it."
Copyright 2004 by United Press International
All rights reserved.