Forum Member

Default TN Fire lane laws

This is also posted in the genral forum, but Iw as hoping someone here might know the specifics as they relate to TN.

What are the laws regarding who can park in a fire lane and when? The reason I ask is because there is a local store where we like to visit when times are slow. We park our rescue truck in the fire lane and the security guy pitches a fit every time, threatening to have us towed, etc...There are several reasons we park there...such as the $300,000 of equipment in the non-lockable storage, close proximity in case of a call, etc...This is a chain store and none of the other ones in the area have ever said a word, most of them enjoy having us there.

I was wondering what the legalities of this is, and whose jurisdiction it falls under...the police or fire marshall. I have looked through T.C.A here, but have not been able to find anything regarding who can and can't and when they can park there.

Thanks
    BullFrog

edit: this is really for imformative purposes for myself and my agency. If we are wrong, then I will make sure it is stopped and apologize to the security guard personally.
    Last edited by CptBullFrog; 12-07-2004 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Member

This is very interesting. It almost sounds like we visit the same store. Our Rescue Squad has experienced exactly what you have described above. To my knowledge, it is legal for us to park in the fire lane; I have yet to hear to the contrary. As you stated, the equipment carried is very expensive, thus needs to be watched closely. Also, parking near the store would lessen response time in the event of a call. I believe our problem was corrected by talking to the store manager if I am not mistaken.

Forum Member

You live in TN? I am from East TN...around the Johnson City area.

Forum Member

Knoxville

Forum Member

Knoxville Fire Department? Do you know Matt Noe at Station 11?

Forum Member

I am a member of the Knoxville Volunteer Rescue Squad. As for Matt, I dont know him personally but I believe I have heard the name.

Forum Member

Hey Cap. Sounds like a security guard couldn't get hired at the local FD. lol

In Memphis we are supposed to leave someone with the apparatus any time we go out shopping, etc. I have worked on companies that park in the fire lane and others that park as close as possible out in the lot. I would say that most of us park somewhere up front in the fire lane, but out of the way. Personally we try not to ever block any means of access or egress form the occupancy. We don't need to be that close!

Besides being up front to provide all the benefits you listed, if you ever try to park in the lot someone will invariablly block you in. It must be another of Murphy's laws. I have never heard of anything on the books. Personally, I would operate like you want to and not worry about what the $8/hr. security guards opinion on the matter is. As long as you are not stealing from the store, his realm of responsibity is covered. Let him call whoever he wants - when and if a wrecker showed up prior to you leaving (which is unlikely) they will be mad at him - not you.

Lt. Robert Kramer, Jr.
    Engine Co. 34-A
    Memphis FIre Department

MembersZone Subscriber

CrabtreeW,
    How long you been with the squad?

I was once a KVERS Squir....ehh nevermind.
    I volly for Karns now.
    FF / EMT-IV
    Public Education Cordinator
    wwww.firemarshall.net

Forum Member

mmutk2000,

...and what is wrong with a squirrel? At least we are smart enough not to run into burning buildings .

Anyway...Crabby...did you hear how we got OUR little parking "mis-understanding" settled last Sunday?

Thread Information