Question thinking about joining local volunteer dept but ...

Hello,

I will be completing my Firefighter I & II next April '05

My local volunteer fire department is currently accepting applications. I'm considering applying but not sure what to say to the members if they ask me of my intentions:

1) should I tell them up front my intentions of becoming a firefighter? if yes, will this hurt my chances of becoming a volunteer?

2) should I only tell them if they ask?

I don't want to use the department, I'd be willing to stay on after I get hired. The reality is that it may take me several years to get hired, but the experience of volunteering would be invaluable to me as well as improve my chances of getting hired.

Comments?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have the chance to get started, take it. like you said, the experience you gain there with do you wonders. might as well be doing something in the fire field while you are trying to get your badge.

as far as you chances on getting on the vollie dept, i dont see why it would hurt you. now i can speek for that dept, but most times if they are hiring, they will take you. i know alot of guys that have started this way. i also know alot of people that do the career side of it, and then join a near by vollie dept.

thanks 770,

i plan on submitting my application next week and just play it by ear

we'll see what happens

I think they'll take you. Especially with your traiing that you have already recieved. I don't think you'd be turned down because you plan on leaving after awhile, if that's what you intend to do. Would the full-time position require you to leave the area?

I just got onto my Vollie dept. here and now I'm considering full-time as a career move. It would'nt happen in this state so I' will have to look elswhere.

If you could get by with using existing turnouts then I can't imagine it would cost the dept. anything to pick you up. We have a pretty small budget for things like that and I'm in hand me downs.

Good luck.

landcruiser,

congrats on getting in with your local volunteer department.

To answer your question, I wouldn't have to leave my community for any of the departments I'd be applying for.

I really was undecided on how to approach this matter, but the bottom line is that the department is in need of volunteers and with my limited amount of training, I hope they will see that by joining the dept. it will be a benefit to both parties.

I don't mind wearing used gear at all, just as long as the holes are not in any very sensitive areas

I'm not sure how they score/rate applicants in the US, but I'm pretty sure that by having volunteer fire service on my resume, my rating should be higher. This will also get me a first hand experience of firefighting.

Does your department get alot of calls? This year alone, our department has had over 400 which is quite alot for the number of volunteers we have.

Are there not any local fire departments hiring where you're from? Or are the required qualifications too high?

Thread Information