MembersZone Subscriber

Default The problom with the "fire"buisness today

I will start of buy saying, this is a very touchy subject to some of you, this is my own opinion nothing more nothing less. When you read this, and if you donít agree, try and look at it from the other side, and understand that not everyone shares the same opinion but respect the opinions people have.

Now with all that said, I need to get this of my chest. I see allot of comemrative patches ,pins , poems, hats etc. etc. saying "remember are heroes" "donít forget are heroes" "fireman are heroes" so on and so forth. This really burns me. Fireman/Women are not heroes. The men and women who died in 9/11 im sorry but were not heroes. They were doing there job. Thatís it, just there job. Are job is dangerous. We all know this, Hell I signed up because it was dangerous, does that make me a hero? No just mentally unstable. I do feel for the families of the men and women who were lost in 9/11 I canít begin to comprehend the loss your family is going through. I hope you all know that if you lost someone in 9/11 Then they were doing there job and doing it well, they were in the buildings helping people to safety and doing there job to the best of there ability...
    When we set are selves up to be called heroes, we are only doing one thing, setting are selves up to fail. We are in the public eye if we like it or donít. Every move we make to every dollar we spend, the public has a nose in it. As you and I know the "publicĒ in general is not that smart. Lets face it, they have no clue what we do except put out fires and disrupt there commute. The only time people really respect us is when something goes really wrong, if things are good they donít give 2 ****s. (Sorry for language)
    Another thing that I wanted to mention is, I have read allot of people complain about "no work" and how hard it is to get work. First of this is good, really itís good. Now the fire deptments can get some good help. They now have mass amount of people to sift through and find there best fit. The main problem I s see is The P.O.C. and volley deptments. Most and I think maybe all Full time stations are Union. Most p.o.c. and volley stations are non union. Guys/Girls this is a no brainier. Iím a non union P.O.C. and hate it. Why would a full time station bring on more full time Union help when they can just hire non union P.O.C.? We need to come together and understand one thing, in my own opinion, the non union p.o.c. and volleys are killing the full time jobs. Anyway the Tax payers can get something cheaper they jump all over this. So support the firemanís union!! They are only looking out for you!!
    Be safe!!

Forum Member

oh boy....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Seconds away...round two
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

The basic spelling and grammer of this post shows me more basic education should be required of our "heros".
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Websters Definition of a hero: one that shows great courage. Sorry if you look at firefighting as "just a job."

Forum Member

Got to agree with the sentiment to a degree. The momment of being a hero is not when you run into a burning building, it is just on the first day that you show up at the academy ready to make running into a buring building your job. After taht it is your job, the pat on the back should only reflect that original choice to step up to the plate.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

This is what happens when explorers get old and political. They screw up "there" spelling and come into "are" forums and make "allot" of weird accusations. Makes you want to get "of" the forums and drop "buy" some other sites.

Yeah, my volly department, with its 89 runs to date this year, is knocking qualified individuals out of high-paying jobs. Horse **** (and excuse the language, even though it isn't really language but a slightly offensive context that involves asterisks which one assumes supplanted the implied expletive).
    ďI am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.Ē
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

ATTETION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

MembersZone Subscriber

This thread is flame bait---

Brothers don't take the bait--
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down Sniff Sniff what's that smell? Ohhhh it's MO's dead horse!

I've said it before and I'll say it again! There isn't a firefighter I know in person or on the internet that think they are a hero.

Civilians like me will call certain firefighters a hero though!

The rest of that post is not worth commenting on, it is just a bunch of HORSES**T

My opinion, whether you want it or not, whether you respect it or not!
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 12-08-2004 at 08:39 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Sheri, you said it all. That guy's nuts. And if he thinks his POC job sucks - he should quit. Nobody makes a living at a POC job.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Ok .... I do agree that calling ourselves heroes is self-serving and setting ourselves up for a fall. The true professional, wether they be paid or volunteer (we'll get to that in just a moment...) do not advertise themselves are heroes and do tend to view it "as just a job". Those that wear the "heroes" shirts, pins, patches, bumper stickers, hats and other stuff are generally snot nosed rookies with the cleanest gear on the truck (... though the "professional's" gear may be mighty clean too because we're smart enough to wash it frequently).
    Now .... this is where I will attempt not to rant and rave. Potuss, I have no idea where the comment "that the non-union POC and volly are killing the fulltime jobs" comes from but I must say that it truly shows your ignorance about the american fire service. If you were an experienced firefighter, you would know that the vast majority of the communties in this country will never be able to afford to hire even one career firefighter much rather a full-time department, and there are many that can afford to hire a few but due to finances need to rely on the POC and volunteer personnel. I am not going to sit here and tell you about all the volunteer departments that provide professional and efficiant service to thier communties ... this discussion has been had before. But, what I am going to say is until you have some experience (and may I also reccommend some more schoolin' in english too) you may want to keep your trap shut on subjects you know nothing about.

Just my thoughts.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks, Jack. I started to revise my post with my opinion on who I mean what is wrong with the fire service today, but it was a wee little bit too close to a personal attack

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

"a hero ain't nuthin' but a sandwich"
    - author unknown...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Im gonna let the "Crustier than I's" deal with this
    worthless waste of the forum, thread.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firemanjoe213
    Im gonna let the "Crustier than I's" deal with this
    worthless waste of the forum, thread.
    I didn't let that stop me, at best I might have a bit of ash on my sleeve

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

lol
    Sorry all for the grammar and spelling, Had a few to many when posting this...
    Yes im sorry if you all donít see the light on this, let me guess the majority of you are vollys or P.O.C.. Answer this for me, if there wasnít vollys or P.O.C. what would there be? Answer->> Full Time Maybe not the NFPA standard but you would at least be manned with 3. Now I would really like to see one of you try and tell me different. And I would like to see a full timer tell me im wrong.

P.S. To the Idiots, who flamed, let me guess you are the ones still looking for a job I Bet!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by potuss
    lol
    Answer this for me, if there wasnít vollys or P.O.C. what would there be? Answer->> Full Time Maybe not the NFPA standard but you would at least be manned with 3. And I would like to see a full timer tell me im wrong.
    Nope,I believe you would have a lot of areas with NO fire protection as these areas would most likely (unfortunately) be unable to afford the cost of a fulltime firefighting force.

Forum Member

lol
    Sorry all for the grammar and spelling, Had a few to many when posting this...
    Yes im sorry if you all donít see the light on this, let me guess the majority of you are vollys or P.O.C.. Answer this for me, if there wasnít vollys or P.O.C. what would there be? Answer->> Full Time Maybe not the NFPA standard but you would at least be manned with 3. Now I would really like to see one of you try and tell me different. And I would like to see a full timer tell me im wrong.

P.S. To the Idiots, who flamed, let me guess you are the ones still looking for a job I Bet!!!
    You are wrong! Many communities are too small to have a fulltime FD, even a combination FD. It's a case of volunteer/paid on call or no FD at all.

PS: for the record..I am a career, unionized firefighter, 23+ years on the job!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-08-2004 at 08:31 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

former FH.com member

Potuss, now that you've gotten all that off your chest, I don't think you'll find much support for your views here. Pushing the issue isn't going to get you much on these forums (or most other places in the fire service). Good luck to you all the same though. -46

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire
    Thatís a BS excuse in witch you fall for as a member of your community. You have the equipment, ins. and the house the only thing youíre missing is a full time men /women. Look at the budget, look at your town. Yea maybe taxes will need to be raised buy 5$ per house hold. Like I said were there is a will there is a way and my town is prob. smaller then yours and we managed it,3000 people

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    "a hero ain't nuthin' but a sandwich"
    - author unknown...
    Sorry Cap, we are doing that discussion on the other forum (Off Duty).

Good thing I haven't posted that poll yet. I think we are going to have a new candidate.

Gonzo, how's your volly gig going? How about you 229? Motown? Can you guys tell me what type of blue light you guys like best? Where do you mount that damn scanner in a 1986 Caprice? I asked Santa for a whole slew of Gall's t-shirts. How about you guys?

former FH.com member

Thatís a BS excuse in witch you fall for as a member of your community.

And I would like to see a full timer tell me im wrong.
    Ok fine, you are
    wrong . Happy now? -46

MembersZone Subscriber

1. You need some grammer and spelling lessons - bad!

2. It is not for you or I to determine WHO or WHAT is a "hero". No one has the right to dictate the variable description of the term "hero". This includes every person here and on this earth.

You may share your opinion, but that is all it is. It's not right or wrong. It's only wrong if you believe it should apply to everyone.
    Local 2068

Truckie

potuss, may your next post be one of "good-bye".
    Signed,
    Me, another career, union, firefighter.

Don't worry though, someday YOU may even get hired on somewhere. But I pity the town....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information