Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default How to use halligan-tool ???

Our department recently bought several halligan-tools.
    Now we are looking how we can use it, the different methods to use it in forcible entry etc.

We are an european department, it is an unknown tool over here.

Soo we can use every help we can get to get this great tool in to work.

ffemt19

Forum Member

Cool

Just stick in somewhere and pry

But really, you can use the point to vent the hood, use the other end to make attack points for the hydrolic tools, fend off a drunk, the uses are numerous. That is my favorite tool in the box.

theres a book out called "tools of the trade: Firefighting hand tools and their uses" buy it and read, the guy swears by the halligan you'll learn something i promise you that.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Check out these websites for a bunch of great techniques utilizing the Halligan Bar and other Halligan Bar info.

http://www.firenuggets.com/x_ARDSIll...rporandy12.htm

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/H/Halligan-bar.htm

http://wingate-vfd.ourfamily.com/pic_RIT.htm
    ANd yes the really long fire nuggets URL is correct...just loooonnngg
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

You use it how ever the situation requires you to use it. This tool has many uses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A good article on the basics.

Truck Company Showcase

OVERHAULING TECHNIQUES THAT SAVE ENERGY

TRUCK COMPANY RIDING POSITIONS

NEW TECHNIQUE FOR FOOTING A LADDER

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO USING A HALLIGAN TOOL?

APPARATUS DELIVERIES

Click here to view these articles in PDF

Fire Engineering April, 2004
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Give me my halligan or give me death.

That tool is just about everything you need, marry it up with a flat headed axe as a set of irons and your a wrecking crew.

If you have any problems getting a copy of the video mentioned, please email me and perhaps we can work something out, like borrowing my copy or something, I never violate copyright laws.

sfi60cfi@aol.com

Our department recently bought several halligan-tools.
    Now we are looking how we can use it, the different methods to use it in forcible entry etc.

WOW!!!! Until you said you're European, I couldn't believe anyone was asking this!

There are three "heads" on the Halligan -- the "Fork", and the other side has the "Adze" (flat part) and the "Point."

The combination of a Halligan and a Flat Head axe is referred to as "A Set of Irons"

Random Halligan evolutions...guys add more!

1) Remove a pad lock -- insert the point in the hasp of the lock. Strick the Halligan's head with either a flat head axe or sledge hammer -- that'll break most padlocks. (High Security pad locks are a different beast!)

2) Make a "purchase point" to insert hydraulic rescue tool to pop a car door: Put the Adze along the seam, preferably near the latch, and kinda parrallel to the car (may a 20-30 degree angle for a little easier manuevaribility) strike with axe to get it in there well, then pull up/push down on the bar to twist the adze end, opening up a bigger gap.

3) Shut off natural gas line -- use the fork end as a wrench to turn the quarter turn valve.

4) Popping a low-security residential door: Insert the Adze in the jamb near the latch, pull on the bar to force the door inwards and/or open a big enough gap between the latch and jamb that the door opens.

5) Remove a window glass...insert Halligan anyway you please Preferably follow up with removing wood/etc to clean out the opening to improve entrance/exit if necessary.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Don't forget it can also be used as an anchor point (either driven into the floor or placed in the corner of a window) for a firefighter escape rope (9mm or larger) out a second floor window or used to prop o\pen a hood once it has been forced.

MembersZone Subscriber

The best instructional video is the forcible entry set from Fire Engineering, hosted by Tom Brennan.
    Thier he will show you the basics of halligan use.
    A good crew with a halligan will be stopped by very little on the fireground.

Lightbulb

Two halligans joined at the forked ends make one hell of a prying tool... the length of the "halligan twins" give you a lot of leverage. To "unjoin" them, just drop on the ground!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Use the halligan for a purchase point by driving the "point" into the floor of (house, car, bus, etc.)then place the ram against and "push" on whatever needs to move
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

WOW!!!! Until you said you're European, I couldn't believe anyone was asking this!
    yep, that's the way it is over here Dal...

Quite a few UK Departments have been using them for several years now and couldn't be without them. London...which is the biggest FD after Tokyo and FDNY, statistically* the busiest Structural Firefighting FD in the World (not including war zones) does not have them...

Friday night I was ordered onto a make up (Multi Alarm) job in an unoccupied nursing home. I saw a 6'4" Ff hammering away at a locked door with a 14lb sledge hammer that would have pinged in seconds with a halligan. The LFB sent them on trial to a number of Stations, a couple were fairly average Station's but they also went to 2 Ghetto Stations, one in East london and one in North London...both of whom are hitting over 1000 fires in a year. They completely revolutionised the way the crews operated especially in the housing estates (projects) where places are locked up like fort knox.

It was decided that the Stations (4 out of 112) that have them will keep them until they are no longer servicable, then they won't be replaced.

WE can spend Millions on becoming one of the most 'terrorist ready' FD's on the planet but we can't spent a few thousand on getting one of the most 'effective' firemans tool on the planet put on every Fire Engine in London!!!!

The real irony is, the Metropolitain Police SWAT teams have them while we just look on in awe!!!

*2002/3(April to April) London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority figures
    57,403 Fires
    28,216 of which were FDR1 fires.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 12-12-2004 at 07:32 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Posted by SteveDude

WE can spend Millions on becoming one of the most 'terrorist ready' FD's on the planet but we can't spent a few thousand on getting one of the most 'effective' firemans tool on the planet put on every Fire Engine in London!!!!

The real irony is, the Metropolitain Police SWAT teams have them while we just look on in awe!!!
    Unfortunatly, this is what happens when the upper level brass forgets where they came from.

Steve, you could always call for SWAT as mutual aid...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Talking

Steve, you could always call for SWAT as mutual aid...
    You better belive I would if they would come....but I don't fancy looking down the muzzle of an M16 held by a black clad, Pi**ed off MPS swat team cop, who i just called halfwa yacross the city for a derelict building!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Hey ffemt19 after you check out what you can do with a set of irons, a "halligan hook" makes truck work a little easier. The standard hook is replaced by a pair of "halligan like" ends which aid in prying and pulling. I think it was invented by an FDNY FF.

The firestor.com has a bunch listed under tools.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm?pID=352
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

We have 800mhz State Police portable radios at each Fire Department now to "communicate" in a disaster...

We have like 10 1000 gallon AFFF trailers distributed around the State...that they're now getting tractors for since most of the host departments didn't have vehicles that could tow them...

We have 40 MSA filter gas masks (never mind we only train/fit test on Scott...), a bunch of Tyvex suits capable beyond our Haz-Mat training, and gas meters that aren't the same as the ones we already owned and trained on...sitting in the office our sub-station so we can account for them when Homeland Security wants an inventory...

Bunch of Decon trailers around the state (I think the goal was one trailer for every hospital...although the host community for the trailers aren't always the same as the hospital).

And the State of Connecticut has no State-level Class A burn buildings left in service -- the career students go to Springfield, MA (and anyone familiar with Springfield's financial destitude...i.e. they're in state receivership and now have like 30 FFs/shift protecting 160,000 people in a working class, crowded old Northeastern city...can see the irony in that!), the volunteers and career guys in-service who don't have a locally-owned facility are left in the cold.

Hmmmmm....

Ok enough thread hi-jacking...MORE HALLIGAN IDEAS!!!!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Thread Information