Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnout gear

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Turnout gear

First,I have done a search of the old threads and wasn't able to find what I was looking for, hope someone can help.

What I am looking for is any feedback good and bad on Securitex 2F3 turnout gear. I have read all the stuff that Flint is going through.

Also any feedback on Globe G-Extreme turnout gear.

Our dept. is getting new turnouts from the 2004 grant and we are down to these two as possibles.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
    FF/EMT-P
    Kinde Area Fire Dept.

We've been wearing Globe turnouts for several years. While the gear has performed well over the years, we are shopping around the different manufacturers for turnouts as a result of a grant we received in last week's round. We are looking at the Morning Pride turnouts, as well as Globe's newest models.

One of the guys I work with has a brother on Flint who had some of the junk Securitex gear. He wasn't too impressed.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had Secritex about 5 years ago and we hated it. Did not hold up well. It tore easily. The liners we had seemed to fall apart quickly. Not sure the material it was made out of but is was a shiny bluish gray and was their "slick" liners for easy removal, not. Once it became wet it just stuck to you. We switched to Morning Pride and will never look back.

Forum Member

We have a discussion going on about turnout gear down in "scene safety and survival". Funny thing its about the same topic!

After a few years on the Dept. getting "hand me down" gear, I was issued my very first set of brand spanking new gear in '96. It was Globe and I loved it. Fast forward to last year - I finally got too big for my britches (food not attitude ) and they were replaced with a pair of Securitex. I honestly can't tell you one specific thing wrong with them except I just don't like them. They don't "feel" right or move right or wear right or something.

I take that back - one specific thing I don't like is that there are 2" plastic "quick release" buckles in the suspenders. WTF are they for and WHY must they be placed such that they ALWAYS ride my nipples !!! (Stop Laughing I'm serious !! I feel like a $2 table dancer after a long call they've been rubbed so raw! )

Anyhow - I'd rather have my old Globe pants back & take my chances wearing them open than wear the Securitex I have now, luckily for me the Chief & Safety Officer won't let me.

As a small side note - due to the fact that I keep my gear pretty clean & we are a low call volume Dept. my '96 coat still looks & fells good as new.

Talked to the chief about getting new gear but we are also too poor and looking to go the grant route for '05.

If I went out today and shelled out the $$ for gear out of my own pocket - I'd buy Globe or Morning Pride - YMMV.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I take that back - one specific thing I don't like is that there are 2" plastic "quick release" buckles in the suspenders. WTF are they for and WHY must they be placed such that they ALWAYS ride my nipples !!! (Stop Laughing I'm serious !! I feel like a $2 table dancer after a long call they've been rubbed so raw! )

**LMAO**
    they will callous up eventually

Has anyone heard anything about the morning pride, i heard from a few guys at the station that it was sh*t and it falls apart too easily, they also mentioned that FDNY is using it because its cheaper and easy to replace. another guy loves the stuff and says its great... any words?
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

former FH.com member

We are issued Morning Pride at my Dept. and everyone I know loves it. As for it being cheap?....ummm, nope. -46

MembersZone Subscriber Medic162's Avatar

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    We are issued Morning Pride at my Dept. and everyone I know loves it. As for it being cheap?....ummm, nope. -46
    I have two sets of MP gear. One set I wear to fight fires and the other is saved for special occasions... Like fighting fires. I didn't know there were other companies that made gear
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber Medic162's Avatar

Default BTW

I had to really reconfigure the second set (for special occasions) to do that thing with the buckles like N2D's
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

I tried on some of the new globe g-extreme gear at a fire school last summer, and i along with our equipment officer were very impressed, in fact the equipment officer was so impressed that he put our next bunker gear order through to globe.
    First off, the coat was lightweight and I felt like I was wearing a regular jacket. I have broad shoulders, and i had complete range of motion with my arms due to the pleated arm pits, with no tugging on the sleeves what so ever.
    The pants were awsome. They were like a pair of jeans. The woman had me put one foot up on a chair, and the cuff of the pants leg did not move up at all, and keep in mind, the set i tried on was not fitted for me, I can not imagine what a set would be like if properly measured for. Just wish i had not gotten new bunkers two years ago, so i could have gotten in on the lastest purchase. Oh well.
    P.S. I am not a salesman for globe. Just putting in my input.
    Last edited by Svfman; 12-09-2004 at 08:32 PM.

Talking couldnt help myself ..............

hey.............are you wearing hoods too ?>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

My department is in the process of switching from tan gear to black gear. In that process, we have decided to field-test two different brands. We bought six sets of Morning Pride similar to the FDNY specs and six sets of Globe similar to those same specs. I have the Morning Pride set. I love them. The padding in the knees are great. I can get down and dirty at a car wreck or crawl through a house and not get any wear and tear on my knees. And, if the pads get torn, they are replaceable! Another feature of the pants is the offset cut of the cuff. It is cut so that the back of the cuff covers your entire leg and the front does not bunch up. The gear as a whole is very comfortable to wear. My only problem with the Morning Pride over the Globe is the design of the wrist cuffs. The Morning Pride gear has a piece of fabric about 1/2" wide that creates the thumb hole to keep the cuff in place. The globe has a hole cut out of the cuff and reinforced with extra threading around it. My thumb hole is starting to fray while the Globe ones are holding up well. Other than the mild detail, I have absolutely no complaints about the MP gear. And just remember, you get what you pay for!

My department uses Morning Pride, and have no complaints. Some of the older stuff is a bit heavy, but the newer stuff seems to be just as light as anything else we've seen. When we go to get new gear, I'm sure it'll be Morning Pride again. We have talked about going to tan and/or another brand due to the cost of the colored MP stuff (we wear red), but I doubt that will happen. Everything else is red so I guess we gata match... If you go with MP, go for the leather knee patches.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

quote from Co11FireGal: If you go with MP, go for the leather knee patches.
    I would recommend that you go with the treated nomex knee pads rather than leather. I say that for a couple of reasons. Leather can't be cleaned worth a damn, and it often fails due to rot/mold if the pants are stored in the typical fashion, with wet leather. I've used the treated stuff on every pair of bunker pants I've owned for several years now, and the aramid pads hold up as well as or better than the pants. I constantly had the leather fall apart.

It's initially a little more expensive, but it's cheaper in the long run.
    Last edited by Steamer; 12-10-2004 at 12:30 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post. Our turnout gear group has chose to go with Globe after we were able to have each set of gear to compare some things.

Thanks to everyone again.
    Chris FF/EMT-P
    Kinde Area Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

turkyman, MP has both types of thumb holes. They just sent on type. My first set had the hole like the globe you are talking about. I did not like this type. seemed to bulky and hard to get glove on. We now have the thumb "strap" that you have and seem th like it.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Default Re: Turnout gear

Originally posted by thumbmedic

What I am looking for is any feedback good and bad on Securitex 2F3 turnout gear. I have read all the stuff that Flint is going through.

Also any feedback on Globe G-Extreme turnout gear.
    I'll answer both questions.

We've been using Securitex at work for about 5 years now, and so far, a majority of the guys love it. We're a large (just shy of 500 personnel) department with moderate fire load. We switched to the 2F3 outer shell about 3 years ago, and it's doing well too. It's pretty stiff until it's washed the first time - but our gear is washed every 6 months or more, as needed - so this isn't really much of an issue for us.

At my VFD, we JUST finished ordering 30 sets of Globe G-Xtreme for our members (also on a Fire Act Grant). We had been leaning really heavily towards the Morning Pride, but there were several factors that changed our mind. We like the fit of the Globe pants better, the stiching of the Globe, the belt system that the G-Xtreme has, and other minor things. We've also talked to other departments that had purchased the MP within the last year to two years, and there seem to be some construction issues with it.

Now, please understand, I still feel like the MP is an excellent set of gear, but I truly felt like the G-Xtreme fit our department's needs better, and provided a better value to us for our money. Our Globe sales rep was able to get us a PBI outer shell far cheaper than we could get a Basofil shell through MP...enough savings in fact, we're going to be able to purchase additional sets of gear with the leftover money.

Forum Member

The best gear that I have come in contact with would be globe, firedex, and Quest. Quest by far is the best. It has held up and put up with alot of wear and tear.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Mikey,Inquiring minds want to know.Why do YOU think that a company that has been producing gear for around 25 yrs produces a product superior to a company that has produced QUALITY turnout gear for 117 years? While I find that several of the afore mentioned companies produce a quality product,very few have been doing it for over a century.And you don't get to be a century old company by living in the past although you respect your roots.Many companies lay claim to being "superior" to Globe,yet of those that do,many are companies with 50 years or sometimes half that in the business.I would equate that to an explorer telling me they know more about fire than I do.As I've posted earlier,Globe isn't for everyone and you have plenty of quality choices.But I personally find it hard to argue over a century of progressive thinking and manufacturing a product designed to keep firefighters alive and healthy worldwide.It's hard to beat experience.And we've tried a few,but somehow we have never been able to beat Globe "service".My opinion,we welcome yours. T.C.

Thread Information