Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Unhappy "SEE" what I mean.....

Today when I came on shift a new SOP had been developed that soon everyone involved in responding to ANY EMS call will wear protective goggles. Which I think is appropriate if we have a pt. who either is openly bleeding, or is vomiting upon our arrival(or just prior to), things of that nature, but we have BSI kits on our ambulance which include those eye coverings. According to the SOP we have to wear them even if we show up to check at a domestic for a pt. eval, and it's a twenty y/o female, slightly drunk and crying, smoking a cigarette and B.S-ing more with her girlfriends about what a ***** her boyfriend is.... the same one she'll be back with partying later that night--than letting us treat her. Does that make the use of goggles necessary at that call?? Personally I just don't like them (not very complimentary), but if I think a pt. is going to contaminate me with any kind of eye splash, I will wear them. I don't believe that all my pt.'s will expose me to those circumstances.
    Then again, playing my own devil's advocate, how can I predict which pt. will or will not at any given time during contact, present those conditions suddenly with out warning?! RIGHT?!
    I guess I'm just not sure. It's the rules so I'll have to go along with it, but what do you guys think? Do you wear them all the time?
    Thanks for the sounding off. Like I've said before, I always have lots of questions. (curious little creature-I am)

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

(not very complimentary)
    Did you get in this business to help people or win a beauty contest?

That said, of course I'll be the first to admit I know nothing at all about when goggles should be worn as I'm NOT in the business.

Credibility goes a long way on these forums, unfortunately comments like that won't help you earn the respect of the other members. Just my opinion
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

The fire department that I've done ride-alongs with for my Basic clinicals requires eye protection for any pt. contact. I'm ugly anyway, so I'm not worried about how I look, the only time I have problems with them is when I get sweat on them. Better safe than sorry, its not a big deal, build a bridge and get over it...

Well I run with several different EMS agencies, The common thing is that Eye Protection is not required unless it is needed (patient bleeding, vomitting, Airway Management etc), that being said I own a pair of safety glasses (kind of like ER) that I carry with me when I run on a shift, I wear them when I need them but other than that I find the patients will respond to you a little better if you don't treat every patient like their a level 1 haz-mat threat.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

I guess my opinion is, if your department will issue them and pay for them, then use them. Things can change in the blink of an eye, and if your caught with you pants down, or goggles off i should say you could get contaminated. The eyes are the most susceptible to injury, splashes will be absorbed the fastest through the eye. Also if there is any flying debris such as in an extrication it only takes one small piece to get into your eye and make you blind. Remember you only have 2 eyes take care of them. I would personally perfer saftey glasses, but goggles are the best because of the seal around the eyes for splashes. We work in an unpredictable career always be prepared.

I am with Hoppy ........... gotta temper each call with a smidge of common sense.........and I would trade up to the safety glasses for EVERY call vs goggles.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Red face

Thankyou to those of you who read the question. I agree with the view that maybe it should be based on each situation,as I said, not all pt's require goggles. However, as it was just pointed out-better safe than sorry.
    As for some who have taken one comment --a simple "aside"- the comment about them not looking the greatest on a person, was not meant to indicate that I'm concerned about vanity--and if you knew me you'd understand that I don't see things that way. However, they're uncomfortable, and they're awkward. Will I wear them--yes, I have to ( when in Rome...). Will I like it? Not at first, but I will aclimate in time. Does that make me narcissistic--I don't think so. (Besides I'm not too worried about my looks, just my integrity) Thanks for the input.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Safety glasses is what I'd prefer except the company I work for only has the ones that can not be worn with prescription glasses. Your own scenario is the person slightly drunk. These are the patients that can and will spit at you without the slightest hesitation. If you got them, wear them.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

sassy1,

Who or what is behind this SOP?

Was it an infection control issue from a medical director, insurance carrier, legal counsel for the agency, or someone who just came back from a conference or read an article?

I do agree that all precautions made available should be used but common sense should also be used. The problem is that what is common sense to one is not to another. Therefore we wind up with blanket SOPs ,directives, laws, etc.

Bear in mind that an exposure in which you were not wearing the goggles could result in a denial of claim because you were in violation of the SOP.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool <--- Because you never know......

The slightly drunk female pt. just might be drunk enough to vomit all over the place. Protect your eyes, you only have two. It may not be the alcohol that makes her purge. Maybe just that taco bell she had earlier, haha.
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default p.p.e.???

Safety glasses steel toe boots and hardhats are required at my job. I don't particularly like it, but if I want to work there I will follow the program.

I guess it is just human nature to want to bend the rules, but if I were to get hurt on the job, and all of my p.p.e. was not in place, then I would really be up a creek. So, not only do I wear it to protect myself both physically and financially, but I also like to set a good example for the younger guys on my crew.

If your policy is to where goggles on every call, and you sustain an eye injury because you weren't wearing them, then there is a chance your workman's comp won't cover the expenses (because you knowingly violated department policy).

That being said, I don't wear goggles. Never do. I don't like them, don't like how they feel, and they especially won't fit over my glasses. I do, however, wear eye glasses during night shifts, and carry a pair of clear-lense safety glasses (which are very stylish) in my uniform shirt. I'm also making a concious effort to wear them on all calls. I also have a pair of amber/yellow lense safety glasses (which are also very stylish) that I keep with my turnout gear. But one difference is that my department permits safety glasses to be used instead of goggles.

best thing to do is ask your chief/head of agency if you can wear safety glasses instead of goggles
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

sassy;
    I am a safety director who happens to think that safety goggles are sexy!
    There is merit to wearing them for every call. You never know when the patient will spring a leak; spit, vomit, squirt, etc.
    Having the eye protection in place will help reduce the chance of a splash to the eyes.
    I'm surprised though if they are that concerned about the eyes why they haven't addressed the mouth.
    Just curious.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    sassy;
    I am a safety director who happens to think that safety goggles are sexy!
    Which is why whenever Mrs. Reason wants a romantic night with the Chief, she makes sure she packs her safety glasses in her purse. then, after the Chief takes her out, they both return home, she straps on the goggles, slaps a do not disturb sign on the door, and you don't see either for them until morning!!!!
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Wink

THANKYOU-THANKYOU!!! LOL!!! So many opinions to consider. Yes the SOP was handed down from the medical director-and I absolutly think the world of him-this guy is a great chief, I guess that it's some of my newness to the whole system that causes me to question, "why?" But I forgot about the spitters--and that was an excellent point to remind me of( I haven't experienced it, even the rudest pt.'s are really sweet to me-I have a way with them). Now as for how they look, When they were handed to us, they were actually clear plastic formed safety glasses-not the goggles they had initially said. Also-me being the "sassy" little thing I am, I pointed out to my cap't. that I would be "custom- designing" them!!LOL So they will atleast look respectable. I do a lot of "cutesy things" NOT to win beauty contests, but for when we have ped.'s. Thats why my stethascope has teddy bear, bug, and flower stickers all over it, or why I let kids write on it with a sharpie, and why I always carrie stickers!
    By the way--I saw DrParasites' pic-- I believe stylish is a good word! And thanks for voicing your agreement!

MembersZone Subscriber

When I used to do ems we were required to wear them on every call also. But I'd take each call individually and if there was no blood borne pathogens or bodily fluids around then I wouldn't wear them. The dept. I'm with now doesn't do ems so I really don't have to worry about it. Accept for car wrecks,I have them in my turnout coat in case I come in patient contact and there's blood. For most wrecks I don't need them.

Thread Information