Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Des Moines or Urbandale Fire Department

I was wondering if anyone works for or knows anyone on either the Des Moines or Urbandale Fire Department and could tell me what the requirements are for getting on theses departments (eg physical fitness test)

Forum Member

Thumbs up Urbandale

I just recently joined the Urbandale FD. While they have some full-time people, they are primarily paid-on-call volunteer. I believe the Des Moines is strictly full-time.

Currently I'm finishing up my time in the Academy and just received my Fire Fighter 1 certification. We have the test for Fire Fighter 2 certification in about 3 weeks.

Urbandale requires both FF1 and EMT-B certification since they provide both fire and EMS services.

If you currently already have certifications, you shouldn't have any trouble joining Urbandale. I don't believe there is any type of physical test for people with existing knowledge. There is a physical test for new people with no prior experience. They're pretty easy tasks. All new members to the department with no prior experience and/or certification are required to go to the Academy for 4-5 months. In the Academy you are required to pass the CPAT test.

The Academy has been a lot of fun and I've met a lot of really cool people. I've also been really impressed with UFD itself.

Can you tell me what kind of things you have to do in the Academy for the fire training and when they are going to have their next new recruits going in? I applied for the UFD a couple of months ago and wanted to be prepared so I can get in. Thanks.

Forum Member

The West Metro Training Academy has expanded in recent years to include recruits from all of the western suburbs although Urbandale and West Des Moines are probably the biggest contributors. It typically runs 5 months. Our class started at the beginning of September and we graduate at the very end of January. I believe they may add an additional month to next years class because we've really been cramming in a lot of material in the last 2 months or so.

They'll tell you that you'll spend 4 hours every Tuesday night in class. You'll also be required to attend every other Thursday nights and at least one Saturday a month for 8 hours. In reality, plan on giving up at least 2 nights a week for closer to 4 1/2-5 hours each time. It's definately a time committment and we lost a couple people from our class because of that.

As far as course material goes, we go through the entire Essentials of Firefighting (4th Edition) book. Upon graduation of the Academy you will be certified in Firefigher 1, Firefighter 2, HazMat Ops, and CPR(if you don't already have it). We're also adding ICS 100 and Terrorism Awareness certifications later in January.

You will get lots of classroom time as well as hands on stuff. Most of the hands-on material takes place on the 8 hour Saturdays. We've done a smoke trailer, burn trailer (really fun, btw), vehicle extrication, hose streams, vehicle fire, roof ventilation, forcible entry, search & rescue, etc. You are also required to pass CPAT as well.

I've personally enjoyed the Academy very much and learned a great deal about firefighting. The instructors are extremely knowledgeable. I've also been fortunate to meet a lot of really great people in my class.

I need to check with my Chief as to when the next recruitment drive will start. I've got a buddy of mine that will be in next years class. I don't think it would hurt to apply right now for UFD. They'll keep your application on file until when they start getting ready to get things rolling for next year's class. I've heard of them starting their recruitment drive as early as March. I didn't apply this year until June. There's a written test you have to take for UFD which is really easy. You basically read a 2 page report about an EMS incident and answer questions based on it. You also have to go through a mini-physical just to make sure you can handle some basic tasks. This is also very easy.

Because UFD is both a fire and EMS, if you're a firefighter, you need to know both. I don't have my EMT-B certification yet so I'll be going through those classes starting in February. So my advice would be to get your EMT-B certifcation between now and when the Academy starts next year if you don't already have it. Judging by your username, I'll assume you already have it.

You'll also want to make sure you're in good shape for the Academy. Having good cardio going into it is the best thing you can do. Spend as much time around a stairmaster that you can. It'll pay off when you're going through CPAT.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!
    Last edited by TomH1138; 12-30-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Talking

Thanks for the information--helps me out a lot.

Thread Information