Thread: Be there soon

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Be there soon

I'll be in country mid Jan 05. For those of you currently in country what personnal items are recommended? How is the communications back home? See ya soon brothers & sisters. MH62.

Forum Member

uhhhh?

Forum Member

milehi62: I'll be in country mid Jan 05. For those of you currently in country what personnal items are recommended? How is the communications back home? See ya soon brothers & sisters. MH62.

Rescue2947 uhhhh?

He's headed to Iraq. Good luck, Bro and thank you!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

If it's Iraq he's headed to you will need items that are small and carry along easily. Avoid chocolate-it's too hot there and you get a goopey mess. My baby brother was there for the entire war before coming home, and some of the things him and his troop asked for were, sun screen w/SPF 15 or higher, bug spray w/ DEET(the more the better), chapstick, lined notebook paper, eye drops, cleaning supplies-small bottles only, for body and weapon(?!) ,sunglasses, and playing cards. For snacks, things like jerkey, licorice and fruit or pudding cups work great, Oh and ofcourse, sports magazines or others work too.
    No matter what you take or what gets sent--stay safe and thank you for your service!!!

Forum Member

I see good luck brother.. If you meet up with a guy buy the name of John O Tell him we miss him back here at the station and hope he returns home soon. Good luck and stay alive!

MembersZone Subscriber

May god bless you and keep you and your company safe. You guys are in hearts and prayers.

Forum Member

Default Re: Be there soon

Originally posted by milehi62
    How is the communications back home?
    My uncle is currently in Iraq, with the 201st Army National Guard Field Artillery Unit. He's a firefighter back here. Not quite sure what exactly what he's doing in Iraq. As far as communications goes, the first 3-4 weeks we didn't get to talk to him much, but now that they're all set up he's online pretty often, just about every day unless something happens and he's in the field. Of course, the time change makes things a little interesting sometimes but we've all kept in touch pretty well. I'm not sure which branch you're in but I know with the Army, Army Knowledge Online (AKO) really helps. You can set up accounts for your family/friends and communicate through AKO e-mail, instant messaging, and chat rooms.
    From what he has told us, just about everything you need can be bought over there, but you'll save money if you have family send you what you need from back home. I know that they've even all pitched in and bought T.V.'s, DVD's, video games, stuff like that...

God bless and be safe. Thank you for your service.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up ____

cleaning supplies-small bottles only, for body and weapon(?!) ,
    Guns (weapons is military talk ) require a siginificant amount of cleaning to stay operational. Bore cleaner and gun oil are the most important while there are other cleaners out there too. Luckily, they come in small bottles . I would definitely have them sent to me.

Sorry, Just thought I'd educate the sassy1.

Anyway milehi, stay safe and stay down. Thank you for your service.
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Wipes

I talked with my Bro-inlaw and he said baby wipes were a great thing to have over there, especially if you are going out into the field.Stay Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

Forum Member

milehi62
    When I deployed (4/03) the commo really sucked but got a lot better after a while in country. AT&T is pretty prevelant but they use a lot of units (up to 20:1) per minute. DSN works good. Get some DSN numbers close to home. Once you DSN the states get transfered to a place close to home and it may be more or less a free call. Otherwise they can patch you through to the civilian phone lines and it's 1 for 1 on the phone cards.
    Personally I didn't take anything that wasn't expendable. We had guys that took things worth quite a bit but the sand will do a number on your electronics. AAFES gets quite a bit in so you shouldn't have to worry to much. Burn a lot of CD's and DVD's. The down time is a bitch. That way you don't ruin the expensive originals and can always have copies sent over. Go to somewhere like Cabela's and get their gun wipes. Baby wipes for your weapon. One wipe gets the dust off, lubes it and you're ready to go.
    Even though it is a desert it does rain there. Right now they are in the rainy season. Never seen anything like it. The mud stick to everything! It also gets cold (38 or so). While you say that may not be cold, after 120+ (in the shade) it's cold.
    Co11FireGal was right, use your AKO account. By the time I left (4/04) the internet was pretty good. You can IM and such and it works good. Anyone with family deployed may want to contact the Red Cross to do internet video. Occationally they do filming at local sites that is e-mailed to the troops. Brought tears to my eyes when I was actually able to see my wife and kids move and talk even though it was only two minutes in lenght. That wasn't deleted until well after I was home.
    The time will be a bitch but look at it as a time to improve yourself. Workout, read, corespondence courses, whatever. I read a lot of the books I never had a chance to read. While ther I had a chance to visit Babylon and the Ziggarat of Ur. Walking around the birthplace of Abraham was a rather unique experience.
    Big thing to remember is along the lines of one for in front of the other. Get up, do the job and go to bed. It will be long, it will suck but it's a job that has to get done. For the most part the Iraqi people are good. They just want a better life. Just don't trust anyone. You are responsible for your own safety and the safety of those around you. Maintain your weapon, maintain your vehicle and keep alert. It only takes one slip up to ruin your day.
    If you don't mind, what's your unit, MOS and mission? Do you know where you'll be working?
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Take care,
    Walt.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Thread Information