MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF High School Program

I am interested in finding out any information that anyone would have on a fire fighter cert. course taught in a high school or with the cooperation of a community college and/or even a fire department. I'm going to try and write a paper on the development and use of training high school students and having them graduate with a fire fighter certificate. I know that some areas have this as a program. Hopefully someone will contact me with information about it. I think it is a great progam because 75% of the Uunited States fire service is volunteer. It would bring a younger group of people in that could be very beneficial. Plus high school is suppose to prepare for the "real world" and help with career decisions.

For an example there is a program in Missouri City, Texas.
    http://www.ci.mocity.tx.us/news/2004...irefighter.htm

Thank you for your help.

Forum Member

Hey I think that would be a great idea. In my sophomore english class I had to write a proposal and I did it on getting a fire science program started here at my high school. There had been talk of starting one for awhile, the chief of my department and the area state fire-rescue training coordinator had met with the the school superentiendent(sp) and the high school principal about starting the program but it never really went anywhere. The school liked my proposal too though nothing ever came of it. The high school in a neighboring county has a fire program and it is a great benifit to the vol. dept.'s there. It is in conjunction with the state fire-rescue training and the community college system so it certifies the students as firefighters and emt's if they choose. It also counts towards college credit hours for a degree in fire science. I cant think of site to direct you to to help you out at the moment but I'll search around and maybe post it later.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

WE have High schoolers that come ride with us every semester though I dont know the exact ins and outs of it all. you can find out more by accessing us on the web at www.orem.org and look under public safety. Good luck

EMT
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

I think I can help.

I am a highscool senior in the countys firefighting/emt tech prep program.

Junior year we had introductory classes and activities.

This year we are doing a bonafide 120 emt-b and 240 FFII classes.

Cost is very low for the students, about $60 a year. I get a grade for my high school and credits I can use at Stark State for a degree there.

Just ask some questions, I'll be happy to help out.

Lammrover

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

Here in Fairfax County, Virginia the high schools are just starting a VoTech Firefighter/EMT program. I don't have details myself, but if you e-mail me at: JKobersteen@fairfaxfirefighters.org, I can put you in touch with someone who can help you.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

I think having a firefighter cert. course in high school would have been great. We had nothing for firefighting and I am attending a technical school now for firefighting and EMT to get my Associates Degree. It would have helped out so much to have a high school class for it.

Forum Member

Montgomery County Maryland has a high school cadet program. Basically you go to school for the first half of the day and the second half is spent either at the training academy or at a firehouse. When I went through I was able to get FFI,FFII,and Truck Company Ops. It was some of the best times I had growing up. E-mail me if you are interested in more info. Rescue2@adelphia.net

Thread Information