makes good girls go bad

Question Need online NJ EMT help

This is a question to ALL NJ EMTs. Is there a way I can take my NJ EMT online, here in Fla? I am coming up to Jersey in June, and I need to have it so I can get a good job. If anyone has any info, PLEASE help me out!!! I tried to take my Fla. EMT down here, but I wont be 18 until a week after the course ends.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Need online NJ EMT help

First off, NJ is very tough with anything online. They only have two currently approved online education sites for CEUs (leopub.com and mediced.com). I have never heard of any EMT curriculum in NJ or even out for that matter. In NJ, you can take the EMT class at 16 and pass with a provisional certification. If you take the test at 18, you will take the NREMT test. Can you take the EMT class at 16 in Florida and then take the reciprocity for NJ? Finally, what kind of good job are you looking for in NJ that require you to be an EMT? Of all the fire jobs I know of, you need to pass a civil service test and get on the list as well as be a volunteer in many of the combo departments to get higher preference. And there is rarely a want ad posted for paid FFs in NJ. I've seen lists 50 strong for for a dept. hiring one or two guys.

Forum Member

Default Re: Need online NJ EMT help

Originally posted by BLSboy
    I am coming up to Jersey in June, and I need to have it so I can get a good job.
    NO. this is no way for you to do this in NJ (or any other state that I know of). If there was, how could you verify that no cheating had taken place? It just wouldn't be a good idea

NJ uses the National Registry test as their exam. If you get your EMT in florida, you can apply for reciprocity. however, if you aren't an EMT, you need to sit through the entire course to then take the state's exam.

Also, paid firefighter jobs are tough to come by in NJ. don't expect to apply and be hired on the spot, you'll probably have to take several tests, and wait several years until you get on a paid department
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Sr. Information Officer

Post NJ Law regarding EMT certification

As far as I can determine, there is no test available online. The complete document regarding EMT certification for the State of New Jersey is HERE

You may e-mail your question to the NJ Office of Emergency Medical Services at:

ems@doh.state.nj.us

They may be able to assist you. Good Luck!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

makes good girls go bad

I am trying to get a job as a Lifeguard EMT on the beach, or working at a waterpark.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Anywhere special in NJ? None of my lifeguards are EMT's.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

makes good girls go bad

Specifically in Ocean City. I know that they have Medics, or EMTs that work at their four HQs. I need the extra $ that an EMT would make b/c of how expensive it is to live there
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

makes good girls go bad

The reason I ask if there is an online class is that at the local Community College, they offer the EMT-B class online, and I am hoping to take the NJ class online, and do my practicals here in Fla, or am I being too naive?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

am I being too naive
    No, but I would not count on the NJ EMT online.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Ocean City would be a good place to start. The beach patrol is run by the FD last I heard. But like stated above, residency is prefered and happens to be the only way to get hired on FD in OC, but I think it might be more lax for lifegaurds due to the fact that they are hard up for people to stay after all the kids go back to school. Right now as far as fire jobs I think close to 30 guys are waiting on the list for OC and they are only rumored to be taking on 3 or 4 people in the near future if any who knows with politics. I know in Wildwood they are always looking for EMTs on the boardwalk and waterparks. I would go for national reg. down in Fla. and as far as I know you don't neeed to do anything to transfer over when you get up this way. If you are coming up this summer make sure to get up early enough to compete for the spots on beach patrol, I think in late april maybe can't remember.

Thread Information