Forum Member

Default Fire hose arrows?

Looking for companies that make arrows to apply to fire hose to show the way out. Would like to compare products if ohter company makes them. Found the one from benardeasyexit, are there any more?

just make sure you dont do a reverse lay with that line.

hehe
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Permanently Removed

Default Umm...

I am not trying to be a smart *** here, but couldnt you
    spray paint them on? Make a template and buy some hi
    temp. paint?

former FH.com member

Wink not trying to be a smartass either...BUT..

...you can't feel a spray painted arrow in zero visibility. The BEES has raised arrows to guide you out. My Dept uses them and I think they are a great tool to have.

Forum Member

What happend to just feeling the lugs out?

JW
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

im with that, feel the lugs if you dont know how to follow a hose out by feeling the links, what are you doing in the building?
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

former FH.com member

Lightbulb

It's just another "tool in the toolbox", that's all.

Permanently Removed

Default Re: not trying to be a smartass either...BUT..

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    ...you can't feel a spray painted arrow in zero visibility. The BEES has raised arrows to guide you out. My Dept uses them and I think they are a great tool to have.
    Great point, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with saving the money and teaching the guys to feel the lugs, Their has to be something that you can spend the money on.
    I've noticed more and more that firefighters are using more and more toys to get by and they are forgetting, (or never learned) the basics.
    If you have the money go for it, I think it is a waste, but also teach the basics.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another fine example of someone asking a simple straight forward question, and getting a bunch of unwanted suggestions from people who feel they need to tell everyone how they do things and why they shouldn't be doing things their own way.

Jesus man either answer the guys question or don't click the damn reply button.

Rigin

Forum Member

Seems as if the question did get answered in a round about way and raised another equally interesting question;WHAT ABOUT THE BASICS? We seem to forget that equally important to teaching a FF to FIGHT fire is to teach them Fireground Safety and Survival or how to GET OUT of a fire.Trinkets are neat,but not every community has them.We do extensive MA to quite a few towns,I want my personnel to know which way is out by the tool they went in with,namely the line.Some may come on in a manner less subtle than mine(brick)but they raise valid points.Are YOU properly prepared to do your job?If not;why not? T.C.

Forum Member
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

There are several companies that now have reflective arrows as part of the hoses outter jacket. If that fails, you always have the couplings. Practices feeling them with gloves on to figure out the way out. It is a really simple and good drill to perform.
    Jason S. - SFFD
    Local 798

Over here in Great britain we use guidelines in real snotty large jobs where there is a danger of getting lost. this is a small line in a bag with tabs every few meters they are arranged in pairs with a knotted tab and a hanging tab, the knotted always shows the way out.

they have been used very successfully many times including down london's labryth Tube tunnels (underground/subway train) and also on board ships, and in large old warehouse buildings.

There was a fire in london in 1992 where 2 firemen got killed on one of these lines but that is because someone laid a line right next to their one from another entry point, they followed it 'out' but it led them further in as it doubled up one side and down another, they ran out of air before they got out.

I can see the idea behind the hose as we can feel by the couplings on our hose but it isn't easy. This is a good idea for firefighting as our guidlines are used mainly for searching in deep smoke and not so much for Firefighting.

Permanently Removed

Default Easy...

Like I said- "Follow your female out."

Clear, simple, direct to the point. Done.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-13-2004 at 01:44 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Re: Easy...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Like I said- "Follow your female out."
    YEAH! What he said!..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Trinkets are neat,but not every community has them.We do extensive MA to quite a few towns,I want my personnel to know which way is out by the tool they went in with,namely the line.
    Even though he somehow escaped from the U of E forum, I will have to agree with Rescue101

Personally we don't use these things, money is better spent somewhere else. Like 101 said, we are frequently out on mutual aid jobs and you can't guarantee that everyone has all the same things as you. Not even a week ago my crew and I were on an interior hose line that came off of a mutual aid engine. Conditions were bad and there was an evac of the building due to eminent collapse of a section of roof. We new our way out and didn't have to follow the hose, but you get the picture of the potential.

Now suppose, just suppose you have trained your guys so well on these snazzy new arrows and they can find their way out of anything. Put them in my situation a week ago. Hose line off a mutual aid rig, no arrows, I am disoriented and need to tuck my tail and go. Can they still do it? I hope so!

I realize it sounds that way, but I am not trying to rip your idea. I just want to call your attention to a potential pitfall with your plan. While I agree that many tools and inventions have been great additions to the fire service, they are just that additions. The basics never get replaced. i.e Just because you have a rabbit tool, it doesn't mean you forget how to open a door with the irons.
    You have to train on multiple ways of doing things. In your case you still have to teach following the lugs, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default arrows...

We use the Bernard Easy Exit system here in Lewisville, TX. I like the extra added bonus of what might be a quicker way of identifying the way out. We still train and know the basics of finding the large lugs on the female coupling and going in that direction however the arrows can be a quicker way of finding the exit. I do agree that there are probably more important things to spend the money on however if you are looking to just add one more thing for the safety of your firefighters why not add something that might give an indication of the way out 25 feet before you get to a coupling. I think anything that can improve our safety is a good thing...however not everyone is going to be able to throw money at it because yes there are more important things. I would like to have these arrows on our hose in my volunteer department but we're also in the process of upgrading our SCBA's and hose arrows would be one of the last things on our list.

Brandon Thetford
    Firefighter/Paramedic - Lewisville, TX
    Captain/Training Officer - Double Oak VFD, TX

Forum Member

finding the large lugs on the female coupling
    Not to be rude, but aren't the larger lugs on the male side?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Question

???

If you are on da nob, GO the other way to get out!!! This isn't rocket science guys.

Get in a dark room, put a smoke generator in there, suit up and put a breather on and in service and "feel" the hose line. It doesn't take long to figure which way to follow the line to the outside. Then after you have done that several times, put some hay in a room and set it on fire to get some heat built up and find the hose and follow it out. PRACTICE in learning the feel of the hose line, will help you when things go south or sour in the real incident.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    ???
    If you are on da nob, GO the other way to get out!!! This isn't rocket science guys.
    True and I agree whole heartedly however I think some of this is geared toward if you and your hose line get separated for some reason and perhaps you find your way back to the middle of the line and not the nob.

This would be why I run the same drill annually... guys in full gear, on air with the mask blacked out. Put them in the apparatus bay (rigs removed ) with a spaghetti mess of hand line. Spin 'em around once or twice and tell them to get to the handline and find their way out.

Forum Member

FT,I didn't "escape",I got ejected.Seatbelt & all.I think Ron's lookin' for me with a hook in his hand,hehe.Too many times we tend to overlook the simple things that help keep us alive when things go bad.I don't mind ruffling a few feathers if it causes that individual to think or rethink a position.Doesn't mean I always have it right either,but stimulating discussion is good for learning.The more we learn the "safer"we are,at least in theory. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Not to be rude, but aren't the larger lugs on the male side?
    typo on my part. and yes you are absolutely correct.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hee hee.
    Local 2068

Thread Information