Thread: Thermal Imager

Forum Member

Default Thermal Imager

The NEW Fire Warrior Thermal Imager from Morning Pride. You Don’t Have to Choose Any More Between You Don’t Have to Choose Any More
    between Being Blind or One-Armed During the Fire! This product is the Greatest. Lightwieght designa and easy to use. Come and see this new innovation at http://www.publicsafetyspec.com/id27.html

Protective Economist

Default Re: Thermal Imager

Originally posted by firehot141
    The NEW Fire Warrior Thermal Imager from Morning Pride. You Don’t Have to Choose Any More Between You Don’t Have to Choose Any More
    between Being Blind or One-Armed During the Fire! This product is the Greatest. Lightwieght designa and easy to use. Come and see this new innovation at http://www.publicsafetyspec.com/id27.html
    First, it isn't "new." I evaluated the original design over 2 years ago, when Sage was looking for a company to help them manufacture it.

Second, you should be honest and notify everyone you SELL THEM. You also might want to review the terms of use on this site.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh OK... What Dept. is using it as we speak, and what do they say about. Also I know alot of FF that helmets are cooked, so will this camera stand up to that high temp where your head is most of the time. And I dont want to hear the stay low line, we all know that but how does it work after you hit it on walls and everything else you run into in a fire. And for god sakes dont loose your helmet, then what? Just thought that you could answer some of these questions.
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Forum Member

There is one of these in use at a neighboring department to mine. I honestly haven't heard them say anything one way or the other about it. We are going to be having some training fires coming up and my department is looking into purchasing some additional cameras, so we will definitely be evaluating their camera as well as others.

There is one question that immediately pops into my mind. We currently have the FireFlir helmet mounted camera and the same problem exists with it. We all know what it's like in a fire when you can't see your hand in front of your face, so how are you supposed to make out anything on a 1" screen dangling 4"-6" in front of your face? It's a problem with the FireFlir and I imagine it will be even worse with this camera.
    Lt. John Kaltenbach
    Mifflin Fire - Rescue 133
    Gahanna, OH

"Vermögen bevorzugt das tapfere!"

Forum Member

Default What technology to get?

So what technology is best to get? Maybe Mike Richardson can fill me in, see if my facts are straight: BST technology shows the diffrent temperatures of objects you are looking at.

Microbolometer technology shows objects temperature changes against a background.

So wich camera would be best utilized as a multi purpose camera. One that goes to hazmat as well as structure and search and rescue?

We currently have Cairns helmet mount - I think from the literature it would be BST technology?

Have to ask as we are currently looking for a new camera - hand held and so far we have only heard from Cairns rep.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave404; 12-30-2004 at 01:49 PM.

Protective Economist

Default Re: What technology to get?

Originally posted by Dave404
    So what technology is best to get?
    The best to get is the one your firefighters will use all the time because they trust it and find it usable.

For a brief explanation on the technology differences, try:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...8&sectionId=13
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave,

Hey Brother, sorry to get back to your post so late, I have been tied up with the TI Training Topic.

Sorry to tell you but I don’t really get into the “Which TI is Better Debates”.

I don’t get into them because:
    1. I do training with all types of Thermal Imagers, and it is really hard to “talk trash” about a Thermal Imager and then have to go out and do training on it. I always try to identify the strengths and weaknesses of a TI when I do training, but some Brothers can’t get past the negatives to take advantage of the positives and they simply don’t have any faith and won’t use the Thermal Imager.
    2. “Which one is better” can really be subjective, what is preferred by one firefighter or one Fire Dept may not be liked by another, and it is strictly a matter of personal preference.
    3. In my opinion the “Perfect Thermal Imager” has not been built, and as such there are about 5-6 Thermal Imagers out there that I consider to be in the “same ballpark”, they all have their strengths, and they all have their weaknesses.

Ultimately you will really need to decide what your Dept is looking for, this means answering questions like:
    1. How many imagers will you purchase – if you are purchasing more than 1 you may consider mixing them and buy both some small and large format units.
    2. How will they be used – if they are going to be used for basic fire attack/search & rescue then one of the basic small format units might be what you need, if you are using it for technical applications like Haz Mat then one of the large format units with a number of extra features might be what you need.
    3. Who will be using them – if it is everyone in the dept, and they are not going to get a lot of training or experience then you definitely want a very basic/simple unit. If it is only guys assigned to a special unit like Haz Mat and they are going to get a lot of training or experience then you may be able to go with an advanced/complex unit.

Here are some resources that may help you out:
    http://www.safe-ir.com/links.htm
    http://thermalimager.bullard.com/tec...Eval/index.cfm
    http://thermalimager.bullard.com/tec...rchaseEval.PDF

Also make sure you go back and check all of the previous posts, pretty much everything has already been covered there.

While I would encourage you to do your homework and learn the most you can about Thermal Imaging, just make sure you don’t get lost in all of the “Technical Mumbo Jumbo”. To be honest if you don’t get caught up in the “Sales Games” that go on, selecting a Thermal Imager comes down to a lot of common sense.

If you have a specific technical question that you need an answer to let me know.

Good Luck, Stay Safe,
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks Mike

Just what I was after - Thanks Mike!

Dave

Thread Information