Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up 48/96 Shift Schedule

Hi, I am an Engineer for Los Angeles County Fire Department. I am looking into the 48/96 (48 hours on / 96 hours off) shift schedule. I am trying to build a list of departments that are currently useing this schedule or are in a trial period prior to voteing to make it permenant. Anyone know of some fire departments useing this schedule?

You may want to try a search. I believe this schedule has been discussed a few times on here...

San bernardino city,Norco and i believe the Colton fire departments are on that schedule.

Default Re: 48/96 Shift Schedule

Originally posted by fyerdriver
    Hi, I am an Engineer for Los Angeles County Fire Department. I am looking into the 48/96 (48 hours on / 96 hours off) shift schedule. I am trying to build a list of departments that are currently useing this schedule or are in a trial period prior to voteing to make it permenant. Anyone know of some fire departments useing this schedule?

Who would want to work a 48 if you run all the time like we do on the Right Coast????
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default Update-

Hello- I have written several threads on the issue. To sum it
    up, the 48/96 is great for the FDs that run light, medium to
    semi-busy calls.

The County of San Bernardino FD had the schedule and went
    away from it due to some of their Fontana stations getting
    slammed. (24-30 calls a 24 hour shift)

So, yes. I have said if youre super busy, this might not be
    for you. But the advantages are huge! Imagine going to work
    basicly one a week, less driving for you. More time for the
    kids. Less wear and tear on your car, equipment at work.
    Dumping less chemicals down the toilets (cleaning tiolets
    every day) and your FD is saving money because you arent
    using the cleaning supplies everyday as well. The list
    goes on and on.

MembersZone Subscriber

48 on and 96 off......What are you trying to do to your wife?
    If your kids are young she would have to get the kids to the sitter, pick them up and cater to their every need alone for 48 hours. If the kids are teenagers you might as well call her Chaufer. If you work out of a busy house then your first day off is shot to catch up on sleep so now she has to pull a 72 hour shift. Then her first day off ( your second) she'll be in therapy. That leaves you with the next day of her mad at you for the situation you put her in the next day to make up and then the cycle starts all over again.
    Then your mutual partner (shift trades)gets all whacked. Early and late reliefs would be a B**tch because after 48 hours everyone wants to get the heck out of there. Your kids got a ball game.....who is going to drive in for a few hours? You blow in sick....48 hours off your bank.
    I work on the right coast also and just looking at it quick I can see 100:1 negatives to positives.
    With any wheel we work in this job (except staff) the family takes a hit. Ask their opinion before pushing for it. It might just save you half of your retirement.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I worked 48/96 and loved it. Less driving and then 4 days off to do what I wanted. Not a super busy hall so the shift was perfect. Other people work 4and 4 12 hour shifts - not liking that! Seems mom has to do lots over 96 hours instead of 48 and if you work nights on your last 12 then your catching up on sleep the next day also anyway.

Either way you look at it shift work sucks - 48 / 96 is the way to go - if your not a super busy station.

For now I work 8-5 monday to fri - terrible!

Originally posted by Mulldog
    I work on the right coast also and just looking at it quick I can see 100:1 negatives to positives.
    With any wheel we work in this job (except staff) the family takes a hit. Ask their opinion before pushing for it. It might just save you half of your retirement.
    Mull- No offensive, I think you would need someone to sit
    down and really explain the whole thing to you. More and
    more FDs (California and non-CA) are going to it. And more
    and more people working it, love it and dont want to go back.

when you go to the store, do you make muliple trips for milk,
    bread, eggs, cheese, etc? No, ofcourse not. Its the same
    concept, go to work once a week and come home for 4 straight.

Less driving back and forth and more time with the family.
    And LESS GAS! And less FD employees on the road everyday equals
    less smog and gridlock. Open up your mind man and get out of that
    East Coast only thinking.

It is very basic, works and more people are going to it.

We switched from a 24-48 to a 48-96 about two years ago with no cost to the district. We just added two days to our FLSA cycle to make the cycles line up right. If your vacation days are an even # you get 4 extra days off at the end of of it. If they are odd #'s you should start your vacation on the second day so you don't have to come back for one day then go off for four.
    It only took a month working this schedule to convince the anti 48's that this was the way to go. We have shifts where we could run up to 18 calls a day and nobody here needs 24 hours to recover. If you need 24 hours rest after a busy shift then I suggest you make an appointment to see your doctor cause

you're outta shape!

if your looking for 4 days off whats wrong with this
    4 days on
    -2 12 hour day shifts then 2 14 hour night shifts
    4 days off and the tour starts up again
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

MembersZone Subscriber

N8sfd333

Your suggestion requires hiring a whole 4th shift. 48/96 is the same as 24/48 just everything is multiplied by 2 and using only 3 shifts.

Default Ugh...

No thanks on those split 12 or 14 hour shifts. No thanks and
    pretty much everyone works 24 hour shifts out here with a
    3 platoon system. (A,B,C)

Wake up and look outside the box. The 1 on, 2 off system is
    old and geared just for management. 2/4 is sweet. Who doesnt
    want to save gas and wear/tear on their cars?

Forum Member

Only one drawback to working the 48 hour shift compared to a regular rotation with four platoons. 3 platoons working 48 on 96 off equals 2960 hours worked. Working a regular 4 platoons 4 on 4 off hours add up to roughly 2290 hours per year.
    It was always a bone of contention because the dispatchers made the same amount of money as we did working a four platoon system where we were on a 3 platoon system working more hours for the same amount of money!
    Check your numbers before you change anything!
    Dave

It's kinda hard to work 2290 hours per year when your FLSA cycle requires a 56 hour work week.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you need 24 hours rest after a busy shift then I suggest you make an appointment to see your doctor cause

Snowball
    What does being in shape have to do with being mentally sound?
    We work a 4 group system, run 5000 calls a year, inspections(1000+), training, house duties and our down time is 2200 hours. We work 2- 10 hour days and 2- 14 hour nights. Your first night maybe a breeze but after productivity on the second day I would bet that everyone is not on their A game. The Driver has the biggest challenge after being up and down for 48 hours is he really as mentally sharp as he copuld be?
    Sleep depravation is one of the leading causes for accidents. I would be intersted in seeing a study on accidents with that schedual vs. the other ones.

Califbou
    I am not opposed to change and often think outside of the box. That is why I added the strain that it would put on the family because you have 2 to depend on and depend on you. Think about it and ask your family which they would prefer. Maybe on a 3 platoon system it works for you but you also stated that it does not work for a busy house. So I believe we agree. As for the right coast, well we have been down that road before and we can get off the subject and bust eachothers balls again if you wish. 11/2" hose carrying, plastic helmet wearing ect ect. Just busting don't get all worked up. I know you wear a real helmet.

Either way the post started out with a person asking for opinions...I gave mine.
    IACOJ

Originally posted by Mulldog
    If you work out of a busy house then your first day off is shot to catch up on sleep so now she has to pull a 72 hour shift. Then her first day off ( your second) she'll be in therapy.
    Mulldog, I must have read this wrong when I replied. Please help me make sense of your own words.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are up all night or busy enough not to get enough sleep for 2 days (48 hours)you will have to get it on your first day off. Most likely during the day when you get home. Thats the point I was trying to make. Lack of sleep catches up with everyone.
    The main point is I think that it would be very taxing on the family. Maybe it's just me, but thats the way I am looking at it.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

you could go federal and work 24/24 for a 72 hr week!!!

Exclamation

Hey, when I came on the job it was 84 hours a week or 168 per pay period. It is now 24/72. Yes sir I do love this job!!!

Forum Member

Mulldog - So what happens if you work a 14 hour night shift and its balls to the wall - your first day off is spent sleeping or lazing around! Whats the difference if you are coming off a 48 hour shift? Still need sleep.

I agree a busy department should not be on 48 hours just for the fact accidents will happen! The 24/24 shift would be more appropriate.

As I stated before - shift work sucks and is damn hard on family life - Its just part of the job. Its a matter of how to make it feasable so that you are safe!

Thread Information