MembersZone Subscriber

Default Deploying a Deployable Rollbar

Received a question regarding my recent article on deployable rollbars. Thought I'd share it will all of us.

-----Original Message-----
    If the vehicle is "lifted" off of the ground (air bags, etc.) by rescue personnel will this action deploy this system?

My Reply- - - - - -
    No. There is a 'smart' technology behind the system. It measures a lot of things but must see vehicle forward motion as a critical factor. Jacking a vehicle would not trip the sensor due to no forward motion. Still no reason not to shut down the electrical system anyway.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

FIGJAM

-----Original Message-----
    If the vehicle is "lifted" off of the ground (air bags, etc.) by rescue personnel will this action deploy this system?

My Reply- - - - - -
    No. There is a 'smart' technology behind the system.
    Unfortunately this Ron this is not true for all models.

I have the Mercedes Benz Guidelines For Rescue Services and I quote the following-

Page 50 (Specific to 124 series (E Class) and 129 (SL Class)
    On the version up to approx. May 1995 the roll bar output stage is acuated at a vehicle acceleration >4 g OR vehicle inclination >22 degrees and at least one open rear axle switch, as of June 1995 these values were modified to a vehcile acceleration >3 g OR vehicle incliniation >52 degrees
    Page 55 (specific to 208 Series)
    The rollover bar will automatically be raised in the event of an accident or a critical driving situation (a wheel leaving the ground).
    Page 57-
    Do not place tools or rescue equipment on the non-extended roll bar.
    The motion area of a non-extended roll bar can pose an injury hazard for all persons associated when the battery is not disconnected
    If individual parts are highly deformed or electrical lines are cut through and the battery is not disconnected during resuce operations, the possibility of unintentional actuation of the roll bar can not be excluded.

What is it we're always saying in rescue? NEVER SAY NEVER!!!
    Luke

Thread Information