Default Quick help needed...how to make a hose dummy...

Can't find my directions...and I'm leaving the office at 4 to go setup drill

Something like: http://www.saltspringfire.com/hdummy.shtml

But that's a bit more complicated than I remember us using years ago.

Does anyone have simple directions and/or a good pic of one so I can have the young bucks tonight through like four of them together before drill???

(Rescue Randy and the Smoke Machine both ordered...in UPS, somewhere...)
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Dal - you got a chief nearby? If so wrap him up in hose that should make a pretty good 'hose dummy'

Now to the question:

I took 4 lengths of 3" hose, as set of coveralls and some duct tape.

1 length = left arm and left upper body
    1 length = right arm and right upperbody
    1 length = left leg
    1 length = right leg

I used the duct tape to 'tie' things together and then zipped it all up in the coveralls.

I don't have a pic handy, let me know if you need further explanation

Forum Member

Use Search at the left and type in "Hose Dummy."

Look for the thread titled "Hose Dummy" started by RebeccaB. It has both the picture and IFSTA instructions for creating a hose dummy. both are courtesy of our friend who wears a bag.

Forum Member

Adze39
    MembersZone Subscriber

From IFSTA's Instructor's manual 5th Ed, on page 311:

Hose "A" Rescue Manikin (there are two figures which I cannot scan in right now)

1. Straight roll 10 (3m) feet of 3-inch (77 mm) hose and secure with bolt to form head.

(note: use 1/4 x 4-inch [6 mm by 100 mm] stove bolts with nuts on inside.)

2. Drill hose at center of 50-foot (15 m) section of 3-inch (77 mm) hose and attach to head with bolt.

To form torso, fold half of 50-foot (15 m) section about 8 inches (200 mm) wide (shoulder) and about 33 inches (840 mm) long (abdomen) and 8 inches (200 mm) (hip) from outside toward center. Accordion fold remaining hose inside. Fold the other half in the same manner. Secure folds by bolting flakes together starting at the center.

3. Attach legs by inserting the center of 17 feet (5.2 m) of 3-inch (77 mm) hose through the bottom loop of torso and fold remaining hose about 32 inches (815 mm) long and toward inside and bolt together.

4. Fold 12 feet (3.7 mm) of 2 1/2-inch (65 mm) hose at center and attach to shoulder area with bolt. Fold remaining hose about 26 inches (660 mm) long and toward inside and bolt together for arm.

5. Add gloves, boots, coverall,s sweatshirt, hood, or ski mask.

Forum Member

FFT,You're a BAD man!4 lengths of 3"? Fat Albert doesn't weigh that much.Dal I use 2 lengths of canvas 2.5.Hook 'em together and you can shape two arms,legs,torso and head.I use duct tape 'cause it's quick,cheap and easy(like me)and that way you can still flow water thru the hose when you're done.A little more bothersome if you use bolts.Course if you use bolts,HoseA will last a little longer.Good luck! T.C.

Forum Member

Now that I look back it was actually 2.5 without couplings, but I'm almost positive we used all 4. By the time we hacked off the couplings it was a little shorter

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

When I made ours I only used two sections of 2 inch hose. Of course it took me 4 hours to make, mostly drilling the holes through the body and arms and legs to bolt it together.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not just find an Explorer?

Ok, now isn't this just a pathetic hose dummy

We had use of the "Regional Building" for a smoke-machine driven SCBA drill.

Has been vacant for 4+ years now, we've been using it a couple times a year.

Ok, I had *way* too much crap dangling from my hands going in there...and how'd they get me in a Scott Pack anyways, wasn't I in charge?

This was the light smoke -- just beyond this point was crawling conditions only.

Smoke machine just starting, we need about a 45 minute lead time to build up a good head of smoke.

Doesn't do it justice, but this is one small section of the inside. The cones mark the "closed" section. We used only about 1/2 the building for the drill -- without a lot more help for safety officers & such, I couldn't risk people in the "C" side areas.

Scenario I gave the guys that we started with:
    0200 hours, moderate/heavy smoke showing.
    Trooper has one drunk, homeless guy whose saying two buddies are still inside.

Water supply is easy -- hydrant across the street.

Building construction is wood & brick. Lots of big HVAC units on the roof from it's last use as a water testing laboratory (before that it had been the senior center/regional council of governments building...and before that it had been a chicken hatchery warehouse!). I've help shovel deep snow off the roof a decade ago when the rafters were creaking under the load -- so any significant fire the roof's coming down quick. And with no contents, if there is a significant fire, it's gonna be all structure burning.

Get in, do a quick search, get out while the "hose team" confines the fire. One team did TIC, one did conventional. No real hose team, did have a line stretched in they had to go to the knob and then begin their search patterns back from it.

Afterwards we did some more impromptu evolutions (Firefighter rescue, some basic LASR, etc).

The building's owner is a former ***'t Chief of ours and is working on selling the building plus about 80 acres to the town (he's even willing to hold the note so the Town doesn't have to bond it), town is taking forever getting it's act together. So hopefully we'll still be able to use it when weather warms up again this spring!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Dal,Pathetic only in the fact you used one length of hose for Hosea.You DO want your troops to work a little,don't you?Aquireds work so well for these drills.We did one last night,but I used a Pass alarm instead of a hosehead.Wound up being a fair drill. T.C.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

cheap and easy(like me)
    I was actually following this thread over at the crusty site, but that comment is too hard to pass up *snicker* Just how easy ARE you??!!

Oh yeah, nice pics Dal.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

RFC,That kinda depends on who I'm with and what kinda mood I'm in.I'm beginning to get a bend in my knee from upcoming holiday cheer if you get my drift(I'm going sailin' without leaving my living room) Snicker! T.C.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

LMFAO!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Exclamation

Old 4 or 5 inch LDH makes a good hose dummy. Of course remove the couplings and configure it like you would small diameter hose line.

It works good and give a little more weight than the 2-1/2 does.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information