Forum Member

Default Need Help on solving this

I'm part of a Career Staff with in a Volunteer House in The North East.

We have five full timers and 4 active part timers supplimented by 60 volunteers. {Staff are not and can not be company members}

Anyway it seems our Part Timers and a few of our Full Timers can't get along on cleaning responsibilities....Part Timers think they have no responsibilities and Full Timers argue this. This Saturday Past I received a call from one of the Part Timers {A Good Friend of Mine} detailing a heated argument he had with a full timer about things he is supposed to do but raley does.

Some how I got put in the middle of this fight and wasn't even there {3 Days Off } and have no involvement in it.

We are goverened by the Fire Chief who is aware of the situation and states he'll corner the two parties.

What I'm looking for are suggestions to make the working conditions better....Avoiding fights, making sure duties get done, and who should have what responsibility or should it all be a shared effort ?

I'm in favor of sharing all the responsibilities but others in my house aren't {Some are out right lazy} any Ideas before I consider a Career with WaWa ?

Forum Member

The best thing you can do is get your Chief to write up daily duty sheets so there can be no question what needs to be done. When my department started having paid personel,each day has assigned duties.Monday check Engine 1, clean watch room. Tuesday check the Rescue, clean truck room, and so on. The different groups know what is expected each day and there is no problems.

Forum Member

This is something that your chief needs to address. It should make no difference if one is full time, part time or volunteer, if you are in the house and it's detail time you work, PERIOD!!

Forum Member

Get rid of the volunteers who don't understand their obligations go past responding to calls.

You would only have to fire one or two before the others get the point.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I thought the problem was between full and part time staff not between career and volunteer.

Forum Member

Similar situation - ours is between career and volunteers. It came down to this - after every run the truck gets washed (if dirty). Nobody leaves until the truck is done. Volunteers are held accountable for their actions - if they want a course then you earn the right to take the course! No free rides. You get out what you put in to the service. I will not tolerate lazziness - any one not pulling their weight simply goes away.
    Career members have obligations to cleaning - but after a social function it is up to everyone to pitch in and clean. Makes no difference if you are paid or not - it is a public image that must be upheld! If you want to be scruffy and dont care about the equipment that the tax payers have supplied - bu bye!

That being said - we have our volunteers broken down into plattoons and once a month we do a good deep clean rotating the plattoons - if a member "happens" to miss practice then he can join the next cleaning detail.
    Full time members once a week do a general tidy on top of regular duties.
    Dont know if that helps - looks more like a rant!
    Dave

Disillusioned Subscriber

"Anyway it seems our Part Timers and a few of our Full Timers can't get along on cleaning responsibilities....Part Timers think they have no responsibilities and Full Timers argue this."

"We are goverened by the Fire Chief...
    The responsibilities of any of the firefighters and officers is what the Chief says they are...problem solved. If they're accepting money to perform a function as defined by their employer, then they should be performing in that capacity. There should be no real issue here; a "yes it is" or "no it isn't" from the Chief should settle it. If someone (on either side) has strong feelings about the decision, whatever it is, maybe they can find a job (either FT or PT) someplace that is in alignment with their feelings. I didn't like cleaning toilets either, but it was part of my job, so I did it.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Originally posted by scfire86
    Get rid of the volunteers who don't understand their obligations go past responding to calls.

Since volunteers were not mentioned in the article other than the fact that the poster was in a combination department, I can only think that scfire86 meants to post this, and had a brainfart:
    This is what scfire86 meant to post
    Get rid of the paid union / career firefighterswho don't understand their obligations go past responding to calls.

Last edited by DrParasite; 12-15-2004 at 05:16 PM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Default Thanks...

Problem has since been resolved.....Chief Handled it as he said he would and now it is a dead issue. Part Time Personnel will now have regular duties just as us full timers do already.

Cleaning issues/arguments umong the career staff do get started with the messes that the membership often makes and doesn't clean. - Membership philosophy...."The Paid Guys will get it." -- Yeah Right I put their messes in their gear lockers but somehow it doesn't sink in....

Staff meeting coming up Mid-January....So we'll see.

Side Note....FF1544 We do use daily and nightly duty sheets {I work steady night tour} sometimes the sheets get done and sometimes they don't.....Anyway no one in authority ever reads them....We're looking at ways to revise the specific duties

Thread Information