Forum Member

Default Accordion or Flat Load - 6" LDH?

I still have people on my department that think accordion is the way to go. I totally disagree simply because it's too cumbersome, and i think the flat load is best/easiest. Am I missing something?

Forum Member

LDH typically works best as a flat load unless it is being loaded for a parade, then the accordian works better.

We load ours (4") with the couplings in the first 18" at the front of the bed. This elminates the humps in the middle of the load.

Stay Safe

IACOJ

Forum Member

We do a flat load more for safety reasons, acordian load the coupling may(depending on how wide your rack is) bind against the side of the rack and stick damaging the hose or ( if someone is bright enough to be standing over top of the hose) getting a power wedgy.
    If you have some long response trips and accordian load with the vibration can wear on the edges of the hose as well resulting in a lower service life.
    Assuming you are using cotton jacket?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our engines load LDH flat. The trucks have it loaded accordian loaded. I don't think we would be able to fit it in loaded flat.

Rigin

Forum Member

This is funny. I mean reading this post and just the other day we switched all of ours from accordian to flat. Im actually glad to read some of the comments on the issue.

Forum Member

This is funny. I mean reading this post and just the other day we switched all of ours from accordian to flat. Im actually glad to read some of the comments on the issue.

Forum Member

we have alwyas flat loaded LDH.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

My understanding is that the accordion load is mainly for engines without hose bed covers, so that water can drain straight through the hose. Since the advent of synthetic or rubber covered hose and hose bed covers, it has been my understanding that accordion loads are kind of outmoded.

Birken

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rayr49

We load ours (4") with the couplings in the first 18" at the front of the bed. This elminates the humps in the middle of the load.

We do that with our 5" w/Storz couplings. We carry 1000' on each engine. In the right rear corner we leave another 18" for the 4 1/2" to Storz coupling and the spanner bag. Works great.

Forum Member

LDH is flat........

MembersZone Subscriber

The flat load causes less wear on the hose, the weight is distributed over a broader area than when its loaded on its edge as in an accordion. Just a thought.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flat is our way

We use split loads of 5" and 6". E1 and E3 have 1000' 5" and 600' of 6". E2 has 700' of each due to the stick.

We have quite a bit of large warehouses and ample water supply. Our officers believe in giving us all the tools we can use and let us make a decision on what we use when. We have the ability to drop both a 5" and a 6" at a fire and go from 1 hydrant, past the main pumping apparatus, to the next hydrant and essentially lay 4 lines. 1 for the tower, 1 to the pump on the tower, 1 for the engine operations, and an extra as needed. In most of our territory, the water flow will allow it. We do not always make this type of lay, but it is an option. Most of the time, we just drop a single 5" and can easily work within that.

I have personnally dropped the combined lay at a fire and it was a real pain to pick up. We ended up not needing it, but it was great to have. If you have the water, why not give your crews the ability to use it.

Thread Information