Thread: 2005 Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2005 Grants

I am starting a bit early maybe, but realy if things go ahead in march that not much time for what I have in mind.

Just looking for imput.

5 grants to do:

1 VFD needs pumper tanker.
    - Any imput on how much one should ask for. They would like a Foam Dragon (Advantage apparatus) which is going to run about 240-250 grand. What is the maximum allowed for a pumper tank to a rural VFD?

2 VFD needs new SCBA and some bunker gear. They have put in 4 times, Zero awards. They asked for 20 SCBA 04, denied. They old SCBA are all now 16 years old, tanks are all DOT illegal and no PASS, HUD, RIC. Maybe if I asked for only 10-15 SCBA would there be a better chance? How much is now allowed for SCBAs?

3 VFD 3. Should be simple enough. They got a grant for a brush truck in 04. They desperatly need (I mean realy realy desperatly) new PPE both wildland and structure and new SCBAs. Should be straight forward.

4 County Fire warden. Basicaly the county fire chief which oversees 2 large fire districs (combined 1800 square miles). This was previously done by the Sheriffs office using SO vehicles and resources. Now the Fire Warden duties have been transfered to...Me. I am the county emergency manager/paper work Monkey so I didnt have any vehicles to respond to incidents. My budget is less then 4000 a year for Fire Warden duties, technicaly its a volunteer position. I think I have another grant lined up for the vehicle, but I need PPE, SCBA, gas meters, and some other things. I end up going to about 75-100 calls a year between the 2 departments, I am a function of the county goverment, and I go to all hazards, not just fire. I would also realy like a TIC to size up oil feild fires of which we have a significant number. What do you think my chances are?

5 A local inventor heard that there would be Fire Act Grants available to companies developing fire technology. He has some wildland firefighting tools and some neat PPE in the prototype stage. He needs more funding to get the patent process completed and to take things into service. He wanted me to try and get him a grant which I am more then willing to do, but I dont know the first thing in regaurds to this new grant category and I dont know what is eligable or available! HELP!

Thanks so much for you input, Much appreciated, I have so much grant work to do!!!
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

1) There is no limit on a category if you can properly articulate why it is going to cost you that much to meet your need. Being as it's a refurb-type, it shouldn't be a problem.

2) You can only ask for an SCBA for each NFPA Compliant riding position on apparatus. Check this number against their apparatus roster, that may be your difference. Just make sure they're not asking for 6 packs for the brush truck. Of course the key here is whether or not they made it past computer score. If so, it was something that was or wasn't in the narrative. If they didn't make it past computer score, their numbers don't add up. Yes, your chance is better with 10-15 vs 20. That number is part of the computer's calculation, so if 18 was the number that put the total score over the denial limit, 10-15 will put them into the peer review pot. The max is around $4500 per 30min pack, including mask, spare bottle, and all of the 2002 edition goodies.

3) Should be, and should be another award in 2005.

4) From the 2004 Guidance: Eligible applicants for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program are limited to fire departments of a State. A “fire department of a State” is defined as an agency or organization that has a formally recognized arrangement with a State, territory, local, or tribal authority (city, county, parish, fire district, township, town, or other governing body) to provide fire suppression to a population within a fixed geographical area. A municipality or fire district may submit an application on behalf of a fire department when the fire department lacks the legal status to do so, e.g., when the fire department falls within the auspices of the municipality or district. When a municipality or fire district submits an application on behalf of a fire department, the fire department is precluded from submitting an additional application on its own.
    To me that reads that if you are deemed to be an eligible recipient (which since you're a county entity and won't be putting the wet stuff on the red stuff I don't think you are), then that would prevent the other 2 districts that you would be serving from submitting an application also.

5) FireACT funds are limited to emergency responders. There are other grant programs out there for fire technology companies, many just piled in with other small business grant programs.

Of course this is all based on 2004 Guidance documents, so it may change for 2005, but I doubt they'll meddle with the rules too much.

Good luck and may the Schwartz be with you.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Go for what you need and properly articulate it. We asked for 37 SCBA and 37 spare bottles. They awarded 5K per pack. It is my understanding that DHS wants to fund an entire program, so if you are asking for SCBA, make sure you ask for a compressor to fill it and articulate how you do the required flow tests and mask fits and what your medical surveillance program is. We relied heavily on NJ Law that requires compliance with 1910.134 and also fire apparatus that meets NFPA 1901 with one SCBA and spare per riding position. I would be glad to share our narrative if you would like an example.
    Last edited by Halligan84; 12-14-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Forum Member

Default Narrative

Halligan84 and BC79'er,

I'd take a copy of that narrative. Let me know how to get into touch with you. We are starting to put our list together for a 2005 grant app and are looking at air packs. The $5000 dollar mark is easier to get to what we are looking for. Scott NXG2 packs with 4500psi 45min bottles. As far as the total number we are a Fire/EMS service so we currently have to medic squads with 2 SCBA each. Can you include those? If so, are number would be 28 air packs. I am also currious about the PASS systems. We would like to incorporate that into the grant as well, however systems like Scott's SEMS are part of the SCBA. Can you ask for money for an accountibility unit or since it's part of the airpack do you have to fund that on your own as an airpack upgrade? Final question(for now!) is how does a successful 2004 grant play into this. We received a grant for a quick attack and are in that process now. Does that lower are chances or does it even matter.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Narrative

Hi Halligan84 (and anyone else who has a winning SCBA grant), please e-mail me a copy of your narrative:

jshively@htfwo.com

Thank you for the help. We are still in the running for the '04 grant, but have not heard anything yet...so it never hurts to start preplanning for '05.

Forum Member

Default Narrative

Halligan84 and BC79'er,

I'd take a copy of that narrative. Let me know how to get into touch with you. We are starting to put our list together for a 2005 grant app and are looking at air packs. The $5000 dollar mark is easier to get to what we are looking for. Scott NXG2 packs with 4500psi 45min bottles. As far as the total number we are a Fire/EMS service so we currently have to medic squads with 2 SCBA each. Can you include those? If so, are number would be 28 air packs. I am also currious about the PASS systems. We would like to incorporate that into the grant as well, however systems like Scott's SEMS are part of the SCBA. Can you ask for money for an accountibility unit or since it's part of the airpack do you have to fund that on your own as an airpack upgrade? Final question(for now!) is how does a successful 2004 grant play into this. We received a grant for a quick attack and are in that process now. Does that lower are chances or does it even matter.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You can request a separate PASS system even if there is one built into the SCBA. The T3 Fireground system or whatever it's called is a popular one.

Anywhere you have SCBA can count in your number to replace. Medics, brush units (2 seat brush, 2 SCBA=OK), officer's vehicles, are all spots where departments carry SCBA. It sounds silly but make sure you have enough people to put in those SCBA. I know one department that got their number reduced because they had more SCBA than members (~30 SCBA, 22 members). Probably because they didn't mention their recruiting campaign and the fact that this was a full replacement of all units. It's the little details that get you sometimes.

As far as a previous grant entering into play: it depends. If you could only afford to match so much equipment the first year (PPE, SCBA, hose, etc), and you need different equipment to finish the job, and you say that, no problem. If you ask for more of the same, or you try for another vehicle, I wouldn't hold your breath. Each year is supposed to be scored as a stand-alone application, but they are trying to spread the money out a little.

There are some winning SCBA and other narratives on my web site: www.firegraphics.org/grants.htm

If anyone would like to post their narrative for others to learn off of, email it to me at brianv@firegraphics.org. That will make it a little easier than email it out to 100s of people. For those that are new, the site has been and will remain free, and yes since I'm charging a small fee for helping folks after being bombarded with over 400 requests to review narratives in 2003, it is also my "sales pitch" page. My claim to fame is that an apparatus manufacturer "acquired" my quint narrative and posted it as their own along with a spec package for their customers. They thought it was pretty dang good. I didn't win with it, but when one gets over $300K for a heavy rescue the year before, it's a long shot to get another $600K+ the next year. We did make it until the last DJ round, so I had the right idea, just not enough points from peer review. Oh well. Like I said then, other folks need PPE and SCBA before we need a truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

2004 grant we received $4900 for 12x SCBA to include "some" radio interface equipment. We are going buy Scott NxG2. Now completing 2nd round bidding and more than enough as prices lower than expected. 16 actives at time of grant app.

I've never seen/read anything anywhere about SCBA award qty. not to exceed the # of NFPA vehicle seats. I think doubtful and does not make any sense. Like many rural vol. dept we would not have ANY seats that meet current std - 1985 pumper, 1987 converted milktruck tanker, old junker cargo van for equipment, 1988 wildland truck. Thats a max of 8 seats total. 2 seats that meet NFPA std of the mid 80s. Everyone else POV to fire.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm trying to find where I found the part about the limit on the number of SCBA. I thought it was in one of the documents from the feds, but it may have come from a department I helped out after their award (didn't write the grant) when they got their letter reducing the number and price of the SCBA. The reasoning stems from the expectation of the number of responders. If you only have 20 people and are in the middle of recruiting more, then are asking for 28 packs because that's how many you own, if you don't SAY that in the narrative, then they'll knock you down in quantity.

The little free lesson from Cuzin BC is: make sure you articulate your reasons behind everything you are asking for, including quantity. They're not mindreaders. If you need 5 packs for the members that live way out and always go POV, then say that. Otherwise you may not get everything you ask for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Narrative

Originally posted by Tallyho74
    Halligan84 and BC79'er,

I am also currious about the PASS systems. We would like to incorporate that into the grant as well, however systems like Scott's SEMS are part of the SCBA. Can you ask for money for an accountibility unit or since it's part of the airpack do you have to fund that on your own as an airpack upgrade?
    Ryan
    From 04 program guidence....

Due to safety benefits afforded firefighters, for applications that include a request for personal alert safety system (PASS) devices, we will only consider funding applications that are requesting equipment that meets current national standards, i.e., integrated and/or automatic, or automatic-on PASS

Basically, that means you must incorporate some sort of PASS with your grant request..

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by neiowa

I've never seen/read anything anywhere about SCBA award qty. not to exceed the # of NFPA vehicle seats.
    From the 04 Program Guidence

We will limit funding for SCBAs to the number of seated positions based on the applicant’s firefighting vehicle fleet unless otherwise justified in the narrative. Each SCBA request will be limited to one spare cylinder unless adequately justified

It doesn't say anything about NFPA seats, just seats in your fleet. In our case, we actually applied for fewer SCBA than fleet seats. Didn't feel justified in requesting 2 SCBA each for our two tankers in which the drivers will always remain in the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

halligan84@comcast.net

I'll send ours out if you send me mail requesting it.

Thread Information